trackdisk.device
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    There is one good and one bad news about trackdisk.device
    1. Good one. It works! Really works! Now you can mount 1.44" FAT diskette to be able to read it. Writing and formatting are not tested yet. But at least writing should also work (can be attempted after resolving (2)).
    2. Bad one. If you try to copy some file by small chunks (like Directory Opus 4 does, it uses 4kb buffer), the file will be corrupted. If the file is rather large (about 800 kb) the whole memory will be trashed and system will heavily crash. "CheckDisk" utility from Aminet which reads sector-by-sector into 512 bytes buffer works fine. I think the problem appears only during large data transfers. Disk directory is always read fine (volume is mounted).
    A help is needed in order to find the reason for (2). So i invite everyone who is interested.
    The source code can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/unmorphos, it is not released yet so download it from the CVS. You can ask me for developer access if you wish to contribute to the project.

P.S. Writing routines are not tested so protect your floppies from writing for now during testing.
    P.P.S. The driver uses 100% of the CPU while actually reading/writing data and runs at a high priority in order to avoid data loss, so it breaks multitasking a bit. Not fixable because there is no public interface for ISA interrupts in MorphOS. Bug MOS team, not me for this.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »24.05.05 - 07:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    vovka
    MorphOS will get fdd support!
    the last from all os! :-P
  • »24.05.05 - 07:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I guess its a nice thing to have for some, but I fail to see the point in this age. USB drives work perfectly here using fat95. I can format and do anything I want with them. I dont even have a flopy drive anymore in ANY of my computers. I tend to use a 1GB USB flash stick in place of them now, or even a CD-R.

Thanks for a new project though, I am sure several people wil enjoy it once its working and safe to use.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »24.05.05 - 12:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    I think it's good for data exchange with computers (like my A500), who has only a floppy drive.
  • »24.05.05 - 12:51
    Miky060
    > I think it's good for data exchange with computers (like my A500), who has only a floppy drive.

No analogkid, I do not think. It will be able to read PC formatted disks, not amiga ones, so it will not htelp you.
    Sonic, correct me if I am wrong.

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »24.05.05 - 15:32
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Quote:

It will be able to read PC formatted disks

The A500 will do that too :)
  • »24.05.05 - 15:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    you're right, the peg won't be able to read amiga disks, but the amiga will be able to read pc floppys :)
  • »24.05.05 - 17:04
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Kamul
    > I guess its a nice thing to have for some, but I fail to see the point in this age.

I'm afraid I don't share your view. I don't use floppy disk very often, but I really needed it a few times for example to read some data saved on FD on the university. I was unable to send them by the internet or save them on USB device because I was working on very old PCs. They were used to control some technical proceses, for example.

Besides, my FD drive sits in my Peg unused, and I don't like that. ;)

So, thank you Sonic for you work and good luck!
  • »24.05.05 - 17:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Dont get we wrong, I think its a nice thing to have. I just find a CD is a better option in this day, Most computers have at least a normal CD-ROM and can read a CD-R just fine. They are cheap now, even less then a 1.44 disk.

When this matures I may even put in a 1.44 drive who knows.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »24.05.05 - 18:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Hmm, shouldn't the device be called mfm.device?
  • »25.05.05 - 14:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hmmm... Good question. There can be both opinions and both are correct. In AROS it is called trackdisk.device, the name is inherited together with the code.
    Well, it's easy to change if someone insists. I won't resist.
    But, in future it will probably implement much more functionality than mfm.device. mfm.device is strictly limited by 512 bytes/sector geometry. trackdisk.device will probably identify the geometry of every new disk and will be able to work with for example ZX-Spectrum disks. If there'll be requests...
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »26.05.05 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website