File system hard disk encryption desperately wanted
  • Just looking around
    leopard2
    Dear All

I have finally decided to replace my worn A4000T with a nice fat Pegasos II (no matter if it already ;-) runs AOS4).

I will use it primarily under Morphos and also replace Shapeshifter with MacOSX. So far, so good.

However...what's really important to me (and should be to anyone else) is data security. That's what partition based hard disk encryption is for (file based is too tedious and insecure).

Such software exists:

AmigaOS: Diskprotection. Great software.
    MacOS...there is something
    Linux...there is something
    Windoze PeeCee: Gold standard is Drivecrypt.

But what about Pegasos/Morphos? I have no use for a system without secure storage. And I doubt Patrick Ohly will port Diskprotection to Morphos. I also doubt it will emulate since it is device oriented?

I am most grateful for any advice since I would otherwise have to resort to a Windoze box (Mac is expensive proprietary hardware, Linux is command line crap).

Cheers
    leo2
  • »30.03.05 - 16:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hello !

Quote:

But what about Pegasos/Morphos? I have no use for a system without secure storage. And I doubt Patrick Ohly will port Diskprotection to Morphos. I also doubt it will emulate since it is device oriented?

I've never used DiskProtection, and it's the first time I hear about that but:

68k .device should work just fine under MorphOs. As far as the device doesn't touch the original Amiga hardware, it should also work fine on any computer (including Pegasos).

bye
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »30.03.05 - 16:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Uhm, it seems an interesting feature for SFS...
  • »30.03.05 - 19:46
  • Just looking around
    leopard2
    @timofonic

SFS, is that a MorphOS filesystem? Sorry if that is a stupid question but I don't use Morphos yet. Anyways, adding AES or IDEA based encryption would be what it takes. See www.securstar.com.
    With today's CPU's you can get excellent reading/writing speed and still have military strenght encryption on the data.

Cheers
    leo2
  • »31.03.05 - 10:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @leopard2

Wow, this piece of software is 10 years old. Are you sure it's still worth it?

Did you try to contact the author yourself?

Fred
  • »02.04.05 - 10:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Leopard

Welcome to the Pegasos community! :-)

What are you storing on that drive that you need this level encryption?

The only way anyone is going to get access to your drive is physically in your home/office or wherver it is. Nobody is going to be able to hack you from the net..

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »02.04.05 - 22:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Maybe he is an OS4 developer or something...
  • »02.04.05 - 22:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Why you think he is an OS4 Dev?
    Maybe he is living in a flat share, and he don't like when other peeps whatch his pr0n collection on his Harddrive without his permision ;-)
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »02.04.05 - 23:53
  • Just looking around
    leopard2
    I am surprised that 99% of people don't seem to use encryption? That means any intruder, private or public, can read your data. It also means you can never sell a used hard drive; you have to physically destroy it or use special tools to wipe it, which can take hours or days. Professional tools make it possible to restore hard drives that have been overwritten up to 20 times!

While I do not participate in peer-to-peer networks myself, I would think that anyone who does, especially in the U.S., with the RIAA gone wild, would be better off keeping their stuff on a secure drive.

But even if it is only perfectly legal data such as financial statements, what about that? And where do you keep, for example, passwords? Written on a piece of paper? Do you also leave that on your desk, unprotected, claiming that there is no risk because reading them requires physical access to your home?

@ChatDEau - no I have not contacted him yet but I am planning to.
  • »03.04.05 - 16:41