Stability with Peg 2 on MOS 1.4.2.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Ever since I have owned my Peg 2, I have had stability issues in 2 forms:

1. When dragging a window the system will lock. This happens on a regular basis, and more often if lots of programs are running. Song Player seems to cause this to happen more often.

2. The cpu will tank out at 100% after a few days of leaving it on. The GUI still responds but, at a slow pace.

The only areas I have ever played with are the debug items under system.

Is this a normal feature of MOS? Or is there some where I should be looking?

I do have the latest firmware installed as well. Although the stability issue has been around since I own my peg.

Thanks for the help...

Matt

[ Edited by matt3 on 2005/2/21 5:38 ]
  • »21.02.05 - 02:37
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    I'm not sure about first one, but I do get the second. I mostly get this when closing iBrowse.
    If you really don't want to reboot, use Task Manager in Utilities. (In my case it's usuall a Background CLI for iBrowse or Trance) This will show you what's sucking up the CPU. Usually you can then use Scout, on Aminet, to close the problem task.

Furvert
  • »21.02.05 - 03:11
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    I have another instability troubles... I have a SB Live and it works fine. But when AHI opens (by launching SongPlayer/MPlayer/System Settings/etc.) it freezees in approximately 50% of occasions. Well, I can move mouse, but that's all... Did anyone here notice the same? Any advices? I tried everything, but nothing worked for me... I also tried to forget about the SB Live and use the Pegasos only drivers, but no success... :-(

Thanks in advance,
    bye MarK.
  • »21.02.05 - 06:26
    matt3
    Hi Mark,

I have an SB Live as well, and had from the beginning. Perhaps the driver is the issue. That did happen with song player, until I turned off the autoload music feature.

Good luck!

Matt
  • »21.02.05 - 06:59
    MarK
    SongPlayer isn't the problem at all, every application, that opens AHI, crashes (in 50% cases) I really don't know what to do. It's only the first AHI 'touch', if it doesn't crash, I can use my peggy with no troubles, but then I have to 'touch' the AHI every time right after reboot just to make sure, I will get the working 'touch'...

I have emul10kx.audio (43204 bytes) 5.22 (31/10/2004) and ahi.device (144264 bytes) 5.54 (8/1/2005).

Should that be something else?

Tnx, MarK.
  • »21.02.05 - 16:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    That will sound you a little weird, but try to create only VESA screenmodes, some people like me have experienced such strange freezing while moving windows and the problem diseapeared creating VESA modes.... Don't ask me why :-p.
    N'cha, LorD
    http://www.lordfpx.com/
  • »21.02.05 - 17:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    I have same problems. Sound is causing the crashes. I dont know whats doing it etc, but it does.

Song Player hangs, AmiNetRadio hangs after some time, mplayer just stops playing suddendly. Same thing when listening to shoutcast radio. Suddendly I loose the connection. Then I have to reconnect. And this happends even when I am just listening to a Shoutcast radio also.

It might be the mem. That youre using wrong DDR RAM.

For me, this sound freezing bug appeared while using the internal sound and with my soundblaster.

There should be an explenation for this.

Question: Does everyone of you which have this problems got a PegasosII G3 600MHz? or G4 1GHz?

Regards,
    Michal, www.amitopia.no
  • »21.02.05 - 22:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mi-Go
    Not many problems here...
    using mos 1.4.2, ambient 1.41 and ahi.device 5.54 (the latest, I guess) on peg II G4.
    A few times it gave me the 100% CPU load thing related to javascript on IB, but never to songplayer/anr... yet ;-)
  • »22.02.05 - 01:37
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    killlbilll
    @MarK

I had the same problem.
    Do this:

1. Always run PegasosMixer in the wbstartup - I know you never use this with SBLive, but it does some allocations which prevents lockups.

2. Use RamDebug when launching the boot image. With serial-debug, you get these quirks you mention above.
    [ pegasos ii / g4 | morphos1.4.4 ]
  • »22.02.05 - 09:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    i NEVER experienced any of the weird stability problems you describe here with my MOS1.4.2 install on Peg2 G4.

Yes, crashs can happen, e.g IBrowse crashes sometimes (e.g. on eBay), that's an app fault of course and not a major stability problem of morphos or something. Of course MorphOS has bugs too, which can also lead to crashes.

But what a few describe here is beyond normality and obviously caused by wrong installation or broken apps.

A few tipps to solve your problems:

If you have only 256MB ram or less then connect the peg with a serial cable to another machine and check/ grab the debug log with a terminal application. It will slow down the machine, but it helps to find out which bad app causes the problems for you. If you found out then delete this broken app or fix the installation etc.

If you don't have second computer or serial cable but more than 256MB ram you can use ramdebug and maxhits option.

configure the bootfile in openfirmware as:
    boot.img ramdebug maxhits=3

(change boot.img to name of your boot.img file ofcourse)

That means as soon 3 hits happen, caused by broken/bad apps your system will freeze. When that happens, reboot directly into morphos again. Then execute "getramdebuglog morphos.log" (you find the getrandebuglog tool on the morphos support ftp) and check the file morphos.log, it will contain same information as you would get with serialdebug.

Check which app caused crashs and why and then delete/uninstall this app or fix the installation.

If you have problems to understand the morphos.log (debug output) then please join irc (#morphos on de3.arcnet.vapor.com) and ask some friendly ppl which have more experience in reading/ understanding the debuglog. They will help you.

In no way you should assume ramdebug is the better solution, just because it slow downs the system less tahn serial when problems happen. The ONLY solution is to find the problem and try to fix it.

regards,
    tokai
  • »22.02.05 - 13:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    a few additions:

- ibrowse can crash on certain sites (even if javascript is dsissabled), e.g. ebay or tripod are such cases (try to avoid these sites when possible)

- ibrowse sometimes hangs/busyloops on exit (no idea why, some of the subtasks seems not to answer properly, maybe some problem caused by priority settings of the subtasks.. who knows)

- if you use Mplayer (0.9x ones at least, dunno about the 1.x ones) then do not use other apps which use AHI too at same time, it will/can crash with latest AHI (thats prolly a bug in mplayer) if both run on the same unit. (when using device.audio mplayer will use unit 0 f.ex., make sure no other app is using unit 0 at same time)

I have sound datatypes (e.g. used by amirc here) configured for unit 3 (system prefs), anr for unit 2 and using device.audio for the music unit (unit 0, will be used e.g. by mplayer). With this settings I don't experience any major problems (on board/pegasos audio).
  • »22.02.05 - 13:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    You can also add "logserver" as boot parameter, which will forward debug data to a new console window. That way you'll immediately see, if some program is behaving badly.
  • »22.02.05 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    I have had a problem with ANR on both Peg1 and Peg2.

The symptomn is that the system will lock up after a variable period of time. This is without ANR even playing, all I do is start it and leave it idle.

Current system:

Peg II G4 1GHz, 512MB RAM. Morphos 1.4 +the .x updates

I am using the onboard soundcard, a voodoo 3500 AGP gfx card with standard VESA modes and Pegmixer is in WBStartup.

I have latest AHI (but it happened with older versions too)

I have the latest firmware (but it happened with older version too)

I tracked it down to an ANR and/or AHI sound system failure...without that app running I've had 20+ days uptime.

I guess people aren't noticing these lockups because they are either developing (hard on uptime) or trying out old sofwtare a lot (also hard on uptime)

Steve
  • »22.02.05 - 18:15
    Robin
    I read the morphos.log regularly. And there are
    listed mainly YAM (really often) and AHI.
    AHI mostly at startup though. But I've learned
    to disable as many sound-effects as possible
    to have a stable system. (In AmIRC for example
    I've disabled all sounds)
    ANR is too much for my eyes, so I dont use it.
    With Songplayer and my standard setup of MorphOS
    1.4.2 is really stable.
  • »22.02.05 - 21:18
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

LorD wrote:
    That will sound you a little weird, but try to create only VESA screenmodes, some people like me have experienced such strange freezing while moving windows and the problem diseapeared creating VESA modes.... Don't ask me why :-p.

Hi LorD,

That worked perfectly! Most of my stability problems are now history. DVD playback is much nicer as well.

Thanks for the assistance,

Matt
  • »23.02.05 - 18:09
    matt3
    Quote:

killlbilll wrote:
    @MarK

I had the same problem.
    Do this:

1. Always run PegasosMixer in the wbstartup - I know you never use this with SBLive, but it does some allocations which prevents lockups.

2. Use RamDebug when launching the boot image. With serial-debug, you get these quirks you mention above.

Hi KillBill,

I put the mixer back in. Seems to have fixed the remainder of my problems. I would of thought the SB Live Mixer would make those allocations as well. Regardless, thanks so much, my system is now very stable.

Best Regards,

Matt
  • »23.02.05 - 18:12
    matt3
    Tokai, Jupp, Robin,

Thanks, I will try to use the log when I get home. I have 512mb and currently use the ramdebug with no parameters.

My system now seems to be stable by changing to VESA modes and putting the mixer back in.

I will now read the log to see if any apps are being nasty.

Thanks for the help,

Matt
  • »23.02.05 - 18:16
    MarK
    Yeah, the PegasosMixer did the job! Now my MorphOS is stabile, as it was, thanks!!! :-)

Bye, MarK.
  • »24.02.05 - 10:52
    matt3
    My system has been very nice to use these days. Thanks to all the help you have given.

The new compiles of Ambient have also been terrific.

I still have one issue I would like to solve. The system area of ambient is very unstable. It will either lockup with normal use or if I grab the title bar and drag it around the desktop it will always lockup.

Does anyone have this same problem?

I did select a VESA mode for my desktop.

Thanks for the continued support.

Regards,

Matt
  • »11.03.05 - 19:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    Here I experienced frequent crashes when using a voodoo 3 in 24 bit mode in any application after any amount of time

--> I had to add the tooltype "PACKED24"
    xmpp:mahen on jabber.fr
  • »11.03.05 - 20:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Try to avoid drag and drop. It will crash every few minutes. Ambient will take some meditation time and best thing for you will be to reboot immediately than to wait 'cause it won't come back.
  • »11.03.05 - 22:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    ppl, please DON'T USE just-4-fun-cvs compiles of Ambient. You will only encounter unfinished features and over proportional many problems. The new Ambient was done so far with 1.5 in mind, it might now compile with standard MOS1.4 SDK, but that does not mean it will also work properly on 1.4. Please wait for an official release on sourceforge.

It's also silly to use immediate versions as it makes it much harder for us developers to keep track of builds and related bugs (some bugs might just be appear in certain builds), so you'll cannot help any developing at all by sending useless bug reports f.ex. instead you even waste developers time which could have been used better for other things.

Btw, even I use for daily work Ambient 1.29 as the desktop has to run stable and the available features have to work when you want to get something done.

regards,
    tokai
  • »12.03.05 - 02:08
    Profile Visit Website