MorphOS projects stopped
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    No way!

It looks like MorphOS development is hurt atm., BUT IT IS NOT DEAD YET!

Maybe genesi will be able to resolve the problems they have now, maybe not, but it's also up to users and 3rd party developers how MorphOS as OS will and can continue.

Therefore all my projects will continue as usually (as time permits, of course ;). I don't see a reason for stopping them or anything like that. Amiga community was always driven by independent and motivated 3rd party developers. So I hope this continues that way and NOT everyone starts to become a whining bereaved!!1111

Just to make a point, hope other motivated 3rd party developers will show flag too. I know some very interesting projects are still comming! Stay tuned and motivated!

:-)

regards,
    tokai
  • »15.11.04 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Tokai, my thumbs up for you! That is the attitude we need most.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.11.04 - 17:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    We in amigazeux strongly believe in a future of MorphOS (and becoming rich like crazy!).

We won't stop nor drop any past, present and future projects. Quite to the contrary: just to make a point, we will double our effort and the amount of projects currently in work.

As a serious sidenote: I can only second what tokai wrote. Business as usual.
  • »15.11.04 - 17:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    Hmm, it looks that it's a rigth time to speed-up my development :)
  • »15.11.04 - 17:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Both thumbs up for all you guys! :-D :-D :-D
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.11.04 - 17:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @gelb

I second that.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »15.11.04 - 17:35
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Thanks guys. We spent some time with Ralph on the IRC channel this morning. We have not given up either and contrary to what some claim, people are being paid and partial payments have been made and more will be made this month as funds become available. We very much appreciate your support.

In the meanwhile, having this on OSNews does not help any of us, most of all the people that started the trouble. Could we have a little bit of support over there too?

Thanks.

R&B
  • »15.11.04 - 17:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    who made the post on osnews? they are trying to stur up a lot of problems....i think its time for more propaganda posting on osnews hehe :-P
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »15.11.04 - 17:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BBRV, I hope the issues can be resolved. I only purchased my Pegasos-2 a few months ago and the news that MorphOS is in trouble isn't nice.

I am willing to pay money for continued development of MorphOS. That is one possible option moving forward. Other users have said they will pay, too.

MorphOS really needs MUI and Ambient, so I hope arrangements with those developers (and others who are key contributors) can be made.

In any case, keep us informed. One of the main complaints from users is that they don't know what's going on with MorphOS...perhaps in the future more information about the status of MorphOS can be released so these large "blow up's" can be avoided.

HammerD

[ Edited by HammerD on 2004/11/15 13:00 ]
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »15.11.04 - 17:59
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    >who made the post on osnews? they are trying to stur up a lot of problems....i think its time for more propaganda posting on osnews hehe

The problem is not that its posted there. The real problem lies in the quality of discussion.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »15.11.04 - 18:02
    Profile Visit Website
    gunne
    hooligan:

--------------------------------
    The problem is not that its posted there. The real problem lies in the quality of discussion.
    --------------------------------

I completely agree with you here.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »15.11.04 - 18:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Dear Friends,

There are always bumps in the road. There are troubles to overcome. It isn't just up to Genesi, bPlan, or the MorphOS Team; a lot of the future depends simply on what the users want, demand, and are willing to pay for. I commend AmigaZeux for re-doubling their efforts, and invite everyone who has their two-cents in to take a deep breath and to count to ten.

I recently, last week in fact, renewed the MorphZone.org domain name. We will have been available for two years some time in January--only a month and a half away. Whats more, by renewing the domain early, I want everyone to know that this site and everything it entails will be here in the future. I know there are a lot of questions right now about many things, but I want everyone to be assured that this site, the files, links, and forums will continue to serve the community.

Best Regards,
    Targhan

Webmaster, MORPHzone.org
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »15.11.04 - 19:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Targhan,
    as always, you are one of the coolest guys. I love this site and the community that surrounds it.

<edit> Respect to all you guys who re-affirm your support for the platform in the darkest hour... </edit>

Thanks,

Steve

[ Edited by JKD on 2004/11/15 11:28 ]
  • »15.11.04 - 19:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    As I mentioned on another thread, for now I'll concentrate on projects, that will work on MorphOS 1.4 too - just in case.
  • »15.11.04 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    @ BBRV

You have only one choice: pay them! After the story with the not paid OpenBSD programmer, the wave of leaving developers last year (Coyote Flux for example) you will not get any developers in future except if you pay cash in prepayement.
    O.k., you have Linux "all for free", but with Linux only you will never be able to take all the strength from the hardware-platform, especially for example STBs, where you need a fast and easy OS!
  • »15.11.04 - 20:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    Thanks Genesi.
  • »15.11.04 - 20:56
    gunne
    Nice post of Targhan as always :-)

I would like to ask a quite valid question here I think, hope thats ok. If Genesi or anyone else pays the money thats stated on the webpage, what will this practically mean for MorphOS ?
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »15.11.04 - 21:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    Nice post of Targhan as always :-)

I would like to ask a quite valid question here I think, hope thats ok. If Genesi or anyone else pays the money thats stated on the webpage, what will this practically mean for MorphOS ?

Good question. If David and Stefan get the money, will they go away anyway, or will they continue their development?

And I mean, Genesi has not done this to be evil, but because of disability to pay. Has this really changed? No it doesn't look that way. Maybe it *will* change in a matter of time, I don't know, but Genesi does not currently have the cash flow needed to support the deal David and Stefan expects. So even *if* they got all money currently owed to them, they would probably just be building up a *new* debt beginning the month right after.

Would David and Stefan suddenly accept that? Or would they run away right after the moment they get paid anyway? Or would they perhaps continue the development for a while, letting the debts rise, and then present a new "hostage situation" next summer or so?

Since the conditions for Genesi's operation changed a year ago, I believe that a fundamental change in the deal between these developers and Genesi is required to reflect these new conditions. It has to be re-negotiated. Perhaps some kind of stock options instead of cash, perhaps a part of some future profit, or some other asset? Perhaps giving up a part of the debt, perhaps make it an official long term loan? I don't know, but if they won't accept a new deal that would secure a long term commitment, with conditions that *both parts* could live with and takes into account Genesi's new situation, then what would the point be? If no new agreement could be reached, wouldn't it make more sense for Genesi to go for the alternative solutions right away?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.11.04 - 22:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    stefkos
    Im still working on my programs as well.
    Go AmigaZeux, go MorphOS!!
  • »15.11.04 - 23:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    THANKS!

R&B :-)
  • »16.11.04 - 01:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    Quote:

Targhan wrote:
    I know there are a lot of questions right now about many things, but I want everyone to be assured that this site, the files, links, and forums will continue to serve the community.

Thanks a bunch, Targhan. We appreciate this site and the hard work to maintain it. Thanks! :-D
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »16.11.04 - 05:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well hell I get internet access and I see this. For months and months I and others have asked about the status of MorphOS and we were told all was well when in fact we has a feeling that was not the case. Now the truth comes out. Its a damn shame too. It seems nothing can go right in the world of Amiga and alike systems.

Well I am open for offers on my Pegasos II G4 complete system. It has 512MB of corsair RAM, a Radeon 9200 128MB video card (not a SE) a Soundblaster live card, cd-r/w drive, DVD drive, 256MB USB pen drive, MS USB inteli mouse, IBM keyboard and is loaded with every free and available software out as well as several comercial titles from the Amiga that worked and some that came out for the Pegasos. You get all the CD's of course. email me at rezendes(at)preble(dot)navy(dot)mil

Edit: Email fixed

[ Edited by Acill on 2004/11/15 23:28 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »16.11.04 - 06:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    > Im still working on my programs as well.
    > Go AmigaZeux, go MorphOS!!

For the little spare time we have, we also
    work for MorphOS programs.

MorphOS 1.5 !! :)

Gr,
    Felix (@/www. attention-software.com)
  • »16.11.04 - 07:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Well, would like also to sign here and tell that i WILL NOT stop my development and will not leave out my poor Peggy.
    For so many years we, the Amiga community, were absolutely alone. No new machines were produces, OS was not officially updated. And what? There were a lot of 3rd party enhancements, which implemented missing things and it all worked! Nobody complained. So what now?
    Yes, this is truth, Amiga will never come out of the underground, will never become commercial system again. And what? You have a choice, either migrate to M$ Windows "like everyone" or stay here loving your machine and keeping it alive. MorphOS is as flexible as AmigaOS and we can update it at our wish. AmigaOS v3.1 has rather good base of OpenSource software and all of it can be ported to MorphOS. For example, we all are crying about absence of native TCP stack, but nobody remembered for some reason that AmiTCP v3.0 source code is freely available. Why not to port it? Want modern version? Well, AFAIK AmiTCP core is a part of NetBSD kernel. Just extract newer stack from BSD and you've overtaken Genesis and Miami! There are sources of Directory Opus v4, TERM v4.7... Even ScalOS v2 is on AROS CVS, we can port it ourselves.
    We worked for free on our Amigas, just because we built a good system for ourselves this way. Now we've got modern hardware with some software to start with.
    For those who already tired of bad news (and likes to ask "Who don't you port it yourself?") i'd like to inform about AmiCDROM handler status. Yesterday i succesfully mounted MacHFS CD with it. Handler almost works, there are 4 bugs currently known:
    Bug #1 - System hangs when ISO CD is removed from drive.
    Bug #2 - Handler crashes when wrong device is specified (for example when i specify scsi.device:1). But probably it's device's fault, don't know yet.
    Bug #3 - can't play CDDAs on my drive.
    Bug #4 - "cdcontrol" utility (mode changer) doesn't work.
    I know a way to fix (3), but currently (1) is being worked on.
    If someone is willing to help (there are a lof ot TODOs, UDF is the largest one), you're welcome to join AROS CVS (i work there because it's best way to cooperate IMHO). Even more people (AROS team and 68k users) will get a profit from this work.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »16.11.04 - 07:55
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Personally I think we all should just carry on, at least for some time and make no hesitated decisions.
    Users offered to help by paying for MOS and lower the sum owed. This was rejected. There is not much more we could do.

Now it's between Genesi and the few individual developers to come to an agreement or suitable solution. It will end in a way or another, hopefully sooner than later, we just have to wait and see. And waiting is what we are good and experienced in, right folks?

I refuse to have a funeral. At least not yet!
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.11.04 - 08:32
    Profile Visit Website