About good SCSI/SATA HDDs...
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    It seems that my problem with the system was HDD (I was made some small backup to my bi0: partition and tomorrow ask to some friend for give me temporary a HDD for backup purposes) and is possible that I can recover most of important information with SFSsalv (I was done with ibrowse, one of the apps that crashed when executing and showing the "splash screen", saved to ram: and runs OK). some weird problem of sectors...

But I'm not careful with this HDD even if after formatting runs OK. I'm planning buy some HDDs since some time for my Pegasos system. Because I buyed a PCI SCSI controller with chip symbios 895 (80MB/S) that runs correctly on Pegasos with Linux and MorphOS(I'm still waiting to receive it, I was buyed from USA), I want to know good HDDs for buy. I was seen the adaptors from ACARD and seems be good ones. I'm thinking on buy one real SCSI HDD (80MB/S) for system and very important information, and two 120GB (or more) SATA HDDs.

I was seen some sata to scsi adapters, because sata HDDs are faster than IDE ones, can be better for SCSI, and I will can buy one SATA DVDRW (with DL support, of course) more later for BurnIT 3.0 and others DVD/CD writing programs...

So, what about good SCSI and SATA HDDs? And about adapters?
  • »17.09.04 - 03:51
    Crumb
    Sadly, we don't have SATA support in MOS... on the other hand our normal Parallel ATA HDs cost slightly less and still work quite good :-)

About scsi... I have two 9GB barracudas in my 4k working without problems, but I'm a little tired of uwscsi drives, expensive cables and terminations... URD may be handy to get more speed of your peggy.

What about using a 9/18GB uwscsi drive to keep MOS (and maybe MacOSX) and two IDE hds in raid mode?

Anyway IDE is quite fast on the peggy (at least compared to old Amigas) so If you can live with only one IDE drive and one scsi drive you'll save some money...
  • »17.09.04 - 09:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    If using SCSI I would go for a Maxtor Atlas 10k - they are not too expensive and I always loved my old Quantum Atlas II(IV?)k 4.5 G (has been bloody expensive back then but still does the job whenever I power on my old A1200).

But honestly I would stay with a fast ide hdd, they are damn cheap and the performance is quite good if you buy a good one (>= 8MB cache && >= 7200 rpm) (but even the cheap ones are good, I am totaly satisfied with my silent (and cheap) Maxtor 80G 7200 rpm/2MB cache). The glory scsi days are (I have to confess: sadly!) over today.

SCSI was quite better, this ATA command set is some kind of awful, but MOS core handles it quite well (thanks to Laire here, even I know he does not like ATA) and the devices are dirt cheap and fast.

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2004/9/17 10:33 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.09.04 - 09:30
    Profile Visit Website
    I hope that not readed all my message, I will buy one or two sata to scsi adapter for use it on the symbios 895 controller... :)

[ Edited by timofonic on 2004/9/17 16:20 ]
  • »17.09.04 - 14:11
    What about Quantum Atlas V Ultra160 SCSI?

And others?
  • »18.09.04 - 01:36