OpenAL for MOS...
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    I am wondering what other peoples views of this are. i think it would be a good idea to incorperate it into the operating system. that way MorphOS is standards compient and it is easy to write cross platform software for MOS and other operating systems as well as easier ports. plus all the great features OpenAL hasd to offer. what are your thoughts?
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »28.07.04 - 00:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    You know that i was mentioned that some time ago...

Stop repeating posts and dreaming all time, and buy a Pegasos II!
  • »28.07.04 - 01:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Stop repeating posts and dreaming all time, and buy a Pegasos II!

LOL :-D
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »28.07.04 - 01:57
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DethKnight
    Quote:

...what are your thoughts?

imho
    1> it's far too logical
    2> makes too much sense
    3> and is too close to reasonable

therefore strike 3 and it's out {will never happen}
    I am ; therefore you are
  • »28.07.04 - 03:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    TIMO!!!!! :-D

w00t!

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »28.07.04 - 05:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Spidey
    No no no,

You all don't understand!

First of all poundsmack has to post at least 1.000 posts before he can get a PegII.

He's getting there, 913 posts...

:-D:-D:-D

Spidey
  • »28.07.04 - 13:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    Step one, poundsmack, buy a Pegasos.

Step two, poundsmack, learn to code and do the work yourself.

You do realise that your "hey this is good wouldn't it be good it it was ported?" posts are INCREDIBLY infuriating? If a talented developer had the idea and had the time already, it would have been done. The usual thing is, though, that they have no time, with many projects already, and OpenAL would enable.. what..?

OpenAL CVS contains a static library implementation for MorphOS based on AHI. It has not been updated to a shared library and has also not been updated for AHI's new 5.1/7.1 surround-sound support. This stuff is the kind of stuff that takes.. what.. a week to do?

Nobody has that week spare. Unless you are prepared to do the work yourself, stop "mentioning", stop "suggesting". It is not "encouraging" or "welcome".
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »28.07.04 - 15:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Neko

Thanks for this. I've said this many times to him but he doesnt listen. The thing is that these silly suggestions and such sometimes would push good threads out of the top ten. Anyway Poundsmack, its absolutely insanse you have almost 1k posts and no Pegasos. Very strange.

magentic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »28.07.04 - 16:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    You know, I'm sure I said that in the LAST thread he started with "hey wouldn't it be good if someone ported this.." in the message.

Maybe he just doesn't listen.

poundsmack! What's stopping you buying a Pegasos?

Neko
    Developer Relations
  • »28.07.04 - 16:13
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    @Magnetic, Neko

I'd appreciate VERY MUCH if you wouldn't attack a fellow member of MorphZone. So far the rules do not forbid people to post new threads, so if he wants to do so, he can continue doing so.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »28.07.04 - 19:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    wow i did not expect all this geez. just throwing an idea out. tell ya what i will put post in the bar once it is removed fromt he front page so that my posts do not bother people. and jsut so we have a few things vlear let me tell u some of my "anoying port posts" have accomplished things. mldonkey! i was the first person to say hey wouldn't it be cool to have that. PearPC i was the first one to talk abotu that and looks like Genesi seemed to like that idea quite a bit. and there are others but i feel no need ot defend myself any further.

why i dont have a peg 2. a while back i talked with bbrv about when there company was going to go publick because i wanted to buy stock in genesi (this in november or so, when i had money) and they said they were tlaking with there bankers and that buying stock in the company was not far off. i checked back a few months later and they still had not gone publick and no stock could be bought (gone public may be the wrong frase but u et wat i mean) i checked backa few months later and nothing still....why would do comapnies not allow costomerst to buy stock you ask, well this is because typicaly the people in charge know that they are in a sinking ship, then other things start happening, the openbsd thing, and then all theses hey lets do the peg game machine or media station or gaurdian, and nothing ever came of these and thats when i realized bbrv have little to no focus (so it seems i hope i am wrong) and that it seems like they are are running out of ideas to make money. and now seeing as the situation is now i think i was right. i would love it if genesi did well and i would love to get a peg but another problem is money. i am now out of my apartment and living with my parents again after some really big finalnical issues arose and i have no job and no cash flow so now i can not get one, i was hopping to at the end of summer but i am not sure if i want to invest in it now. people wonder why i post so much here. well i am an active member of the skyos community too, but do u want to know why i post here a lot more then i post there? because it is clear that MOS needs help! I dont post so much anymore in teh skyos forums beacuse Robert (lead developer) and his team know where they are going and get a lot of work well and quick and have no problems at all and they have taken a lot! of my suggestions and it has really helped them out. I try to throw ideas out that mabey no one had thought of in hopes that mabey it will make a difference, but it seems that free thinking is not wanted here. its a shame. so in conclusion this is that everything looks like ot me (and i hope oto god i am wrong so bbrv please tell me otherwise) Genesi is a sinking ship thats slowly taking in water. and while money could help keep them afloat they dont have enough so the ship is sinking and doesnt have any directions to reach the shore before it goes under. so there thats all i have to say.

oh and by the way no where in this post does it say hey lets port this! it is simply asking what u think.
    [ Edited by poundsmack on 2004/7/28 12:15 ]

[ Edited by poundsmack on 2004/7/28 12:21 ]

[ Edited by poundsmack on 2004/7/28 12:22 ]

[ Edited by poundsmack on 2004/7/28 12:55 ]
  • »28.07.04 - 20:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    Relax Poundsmack,

Everybody is a little tense after last weeks posts by bbrv.
    It also doesn't help for you to explain yourself so clearly when others are
    razing you. :-) its much better and maybe less satisfying, to just ignore the comments...

...on one of the points you made, You said that you were not sure how successfull Genesi would be (sinking ship etc...) well all of us who purchased Pegs have put our money where our mouths are. We do not want to see Genesi fail, and we are fully aware of some of the direction problems they may be having... also Remember you are young. many of us are twice your age, have been on the ground floor of startups of our own, and have overcome as well as failed. Plus most of us have been adults throughout the last 10 years after commodores demise. We have alot of emotions, time, money, & energy tied into the platforms we have chosen.

the only way we can currently help Genesi's situation is buying their product, or contact venture capitalists.

katos1
  • »28.07.04 - 20:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    your right katos1, sorry about the crazy rant...its been a long week. i would also love to see genesi succeed and i would love to throw money out for a peg but right now i need that money to throw at food and health insurance. if anyone know a good job in the california bay area let me know :-)

[ Edited by poundsmack on 2004/7/28 12:58 ]
  • »28.07.04 - 20:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    No prob, Poundsmack, you are right it has been a crazy week...
    (edit) ... and yes a job and Health insurance is more important than any hobby...

but lets get back on topic...

@neko

are you saying that OpenAl is a derivitive of AHI?

katos1

[ Edited by katos1 on 2004/7/28 16:02 ]
  • »28.07.04 - 21:01
    Spidey
    Hi poundsmack,

[OT]
    Take a deep breath, do some yoga or so to calm down and then come back to the site giving the rest of us more interesting ideas! :-D

I'm no programmer, unfortunately, just a normal user. I like you bringing up ideas here on the site. And I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking like this!
    So, don't stop!
    Don't put your posts in the bar, that's meant for other subjects not computer related, etc. ;-)
    [/OT]

Bye,

Spidey
  • »28.07.04 - 21:23
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Darned, I should have posted this afternoon!

@all

As I said before, what is wrong with suggestions/ideas/tips/etc? Me thinks all are welcome; if they don't appeal to you, then hey, take no notice. The idea that the "useless ideas" push more important threads out of the top ten is bogus, since they will stay on top if enough people keep commenting on them. Poundsmacks posts are most of the time funny, informative and hey, even contain a good idea time from time.

@poundsmack

Please don't be put off by the flaming of some; I think your posts are welcomed by most people (well, by me anyway ;-) ). Do continue to post your ideas and suggestions as you always do; makes my time at MorphZone most certainly more enjoyable.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »28.07.04 - 22:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    No attacks, just the truth.

If poundsmack wants something done, he should do it himself. He has been told not to post "hey wouldn't it be great!!" posts before, and now if he thinks he can get around it with "throwing an idea out.. what are your thoughts?" then he has another thing coming.

The threads are unproductive and boring, knock potentially better threads off the front page, and NOBODY ever ports what he suggests anyway.

Add to that the fact we already discussed OpenAL, and he contributed to the thread if I remember correctly. What thoughts are there to contribute other than people might want it but if it was that important or feasible it'd have been DONE already. As it stands, some work has been done on OpenAL, but the coder no longer has time for it. That is pretty much the state of affairs with a lot of things around here.

poundsmack, please find something more interesting to talk about than software projects you wish to force down the throats of busy developers.

Neko
    Developer Relations
  • »28.07.04 - 22:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    katos1, OpenAL for MorphOS outputs sound via AHI. That code is in CVS (in the folder for linux architecture, strangely). As above, not a shared library yet, also not supporting brand new features of AHI 5.13 (surround sound)

Nobody has time for it. No applications that use it yet that are worth the effort. If someone wants to use the static library (which works perfectly well..) and port something exciting, great. If they port 4 or 5 things, then we want a shared library for it.

Neko
    Developer Relations
  • »28.07.04 - 22:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i never said i wanted anything done. i simply asked what people think. i stoped teh hey lets port this threads a while ago now i jsut ask for opinions :-)
  • »28.07.04 - 23:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DethKnight
    Quote:

....the skyos community too....

Quote:

An entire TCP/IP Stack is available for SkyOS. This TCP/IP Stack implementes all required protocols on each layer like Ethernet, IP, ARP, ICMP, UDP, TCP and a Berkley compatible socket interface. {from skyos page}

I like the sound the sound of that.
    This may be exactly what I need for my new prescott 3.0E "pimp-rig"
    I am ; therefore you are
  • »29.07.04 - 01:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    ya skyos is great and to think 98% of it is coded by one person :-o
  • »29.07.04 - 01:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    Fair enough anyway. I've bitten the bullet and I'm going to check out OpenAL from CVS and make it a shared library, add 7.1 surround support and suchlike.

You'll see it in the next MorphOS unless someone gives me a good reason to make it public before then (huge application or so..)

Neko
    Developer Relations
  • »29.07.04 - 13:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Neko: his post must have worked. LOL if you were serious, thats cool that you're taking the initiative to port this. U R THE MAN!!
  • »29.07.04 - 14:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    The work was already done most of the way by Rudiger Haenke (sp?) - and integrated into the main OpenAL tree.

I was discussing with him continuing the work but I never got around to it. Whenever I see a post on forums that is titled "OpenAL for MorphOS" I get a little excited that someone may be around to help the work.

When it turns out to be poundsmack for the 80th time, needless to say it's a fucking disappointment :)

Don't count your chickens though.. I really don't have time this week to do anything except a cursory glance over the code to see what I have to unglobalise and what calling convention I should use.

Neko
    Developer Relations
  • »29.07.04 - 15:23
    Profile Visit Website