HDD failed...need MOL setup advice
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Okay...so the wind changed and the gods used my face for a urinal yesterday. I spent all weekend setting up MorphOS and Linux only to have the hard drive fail (intermittent boot...loss of data...then finally checksum errors even when formatting.) This sucks, but I guess the # of HDDs I've used over the years, probability was against me....this being the first ever mechanical failure.

This leaves me with 'opportunity' ;-) I've already got a 200GB Seagate..I was planning to use two drives (seperate one for linux) but now I'm stuck with just the one.

I understand MOL has some limitations about where partitions should be, can anyone define it more exactly!

Are there any other limitations in Linux I should be aware of....size/location of partitions?

Now I have to co-locate the two OSes, I need to get this right...hopefully my 30Gig backup of my old Amiga system doesn't fail in the meantime :-/

Steve :-D
  • »24.05.04 - 19:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hiTCH-HiKER
    I have a question which fits into this thread:

If using MorphOS and Linux together on one harddisk, should one
    partition the disk using MorphOS or Linux tools? Or is it the best to
    partition the MorphOS partitions on MorphOS and the Linux partitions
    on Linux? I really don't know :-D
  • »24.05.04 - 19:21
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Use what you like best. Most linux install guides give instructions for both with a DOSTYPE in 'Amiga' parlance.

I've used ScsiConfig for years...so I do it that way.

I only used linux tools once...because I forgot to add a SWAP partition ;-)

Steve
  • »24.05.04 - 19:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    OSX 10.3 refuses to install on a harddrive partition that is not available within the first 8GBytes of your drive. When configuring MOL make sure you tell OSX to use only that partition and not the entire drive as you are likely to have it trash your partitions since it will be installing a Mac partition table.

These things are already covered by the wiki on Pegasos.org.
  • »24.05.04 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    dholm...thanks for the pointer.

Steve

[edit] OK..I went over there and read the wiki. Is it possible to install OSX on a hardfile on a linux partition? (8GB is way small for a OSX!)

Steve
  • »24.05.04 - 22:18