Peg4a needs debian help
  • Targhan
    the following was accidently posted in the news by Peg4a (to post a new thread in the forums, go to any post in the topic desired, and find the "Post New Thread" button.)

Quote:

Hi ! I have just installed the system base with the di-2004.04.28 of sven, everything was ok.

But know when I boot the system base I have no eth0 available for installation ??

I have an error during the boot eth0 : no device found...it seems it doesn't found my rtl8139 pci card... but the module is in it.

Anyone as an idea about this ? :(

Thanks !

Peg4a :)

:idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »23.05.04 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hiTCH-HiKER
    I had the same problem yesterday (using onboard LAN) and my workaround was to use Kernel 2.6.4, works like a charm :)

And after you have finished installing Debian, don't forget to decrunch the 2.6.4 modules (you find them on the site where the 2.6.4 kernel is) to /lib/modules and install the module init tools:
    # apt-get install module-init-tools
  • »23.05.04 - 19:24
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    peg4a
    Hi ! ;)

Thanks Targhan ;)

In fact I contacted Sven and for now we should use beta4 for installing debian on pegasos 1 or 2.
    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-install
    It works great ! ;)

Second tip, after installation if it doesn't work edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and put a # before BusId in section video card because allmost of the time it is wrong !

Hope it could help... :)

Peg4a
    Powermac G5
    2,3 giga mono processor. HDD : 750 Go sata ATI 9800 XT 256 mo.
    Morphos 3.4 ;)
  • »24.05.04 - 14:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hiTCH-HiKER
    Beta4? Of what?

I just changed the BusId to the correct one instead of commenting it
    out :)
  • »24.05.04 - 17:13
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Well...I actually tried the beta4 netinst iso of sarge..couldn't get any further than booting and starting the installer.

When trying to find a source for install it complains of missing via_rhine modules and ide-scsi modules????

I did manage to get a hacked up version of linux installed prior to this..by installing the regular stuff using a later 'woody' installation image and then passing the 2.6 level kernel and module .deb's to it via a FFS partition. There as a module.dep error but in general I got a long way installing linux..X server didn't work even agter messing with BUS ID on XF86 config....

so I'm just about ready to give up...having tried the pseudo-official way and the hack way....

Anyone can help???

Steve :-(
  • »31.05.04 - 04:38
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    peg4a
    Hi JKD !

Just try the installation with "testing" it works ;)

For more help don't forget to registered to http://linux.pegasosppc.com since beta2linux doesn't work anymore...

Peg4a
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/4.a
    Powermac G5
    2,3 giga mono processor. HDD : 750 Go sata ATI 9800 XT 256 mo.
    Morphos 3.4 ;)
  • »31.05.04 - 08:11
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Hi Peg4a,

Somehow, I clobbered my linux partition and downloaded and burned the testing net-install iso. This doesn't seem to be Peg II aware as it fails at installing the kernel and bootstrap (naturally). Forgive an old retired App Engineer, but is there a particular way around this?

Harry
    Config: Pegasos II G4 1ghz, 1024mb memory,
    Radeon 9200,160gb hd total, Sound Blaster Live!
  • »31.05.04 - 10:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hiTCH-HiKER
    Quote:

X server didn't work even agter messing with BUS ID on XF86 config....

so I'm just about ready to give up...having tried the pseudo-official way and the hack way....

You have to enter the BUS-ID shown in the X-Output while it fails to open your screen, there it shows the right BUS-ID... or you try to remove/comment out the entry just like peg4a did.
    Then it should work, if you have the correct gfx card module in your config.
  • »31.05.04 - 14:19
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    [edit] - pls ignore the following. I was booting with hdc=ide-scsi and apparently this is not necessary...I think I have it working now!!!
    [edit]

Can you tell me exactly what you downloaded to make it work. I can't
    even get as far as choosing which level to install because the sarge
    testing netinst ISO I downloaded doesn't appear to have support for
    the Peg 2 hardware.

See my comments on VIA_RHine and ide-scsi missing...

Thanks,

Steve
  • »31.05.04 - 19:22
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Go to linux.pegasosppc.com to get some great help at installing Debian from Sven Luther. Helped me get it up and running in a flash. It appears that the image that the main debian site points to is outdated, at least, that was my problem.

Harry
    Config: Pegasos II G4 1ghz, 1024mb memory,
    Radeon 9200,160gb hd total, Sound Blaster Live!
  • »01.06.04 - 10:25
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ultraspec
    Fwiw I usually use http://debian.mirrors.pair.com
  • »01.06.04 - 17:10
    Profile Visit Website