Peg 1 Serial port
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cookie
    Any one know what how to activate the serial console port?Like what speed ? etc.I have a peg 1 that I cant get working:( No video ,hard drive wont spin up when connected to ide port 0 .I managed to get to firmware screen 3X but 4 diff keyboards didnt work. I can no longer get a video signal and am trying to use serial console.Any ideas?
    Has 3dfx voodoo 3, 256mb g3600.
  • »08.05.04 - 02:09
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Well I have not idea what the PEG1 would be but normal terminal connection through serial is N-8-1 9600. To de-geek that it's NoParity, 8data bits, 1 stop bit, and 9600baud (or bps).

You will also need to have a null modem connection on that, which only means that pins 2 & 3 are reverse on one end from a normal serial cable. So even if you get the n8-1-9600 thing going you may need a different cable.

Hope that helps
    -Shawn
    No more peg. :(
  • »08.05.04 - 03:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cookie
    Thanks I'll try the 9600 baud setting.Anyone have trouble getting a working keyboard foe a pegasos 1 ?
    Cookie
  • »08.05.04 - 05:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Druideck
    I've used numerous keyboards, they all worked
    great. I have one with a pin adaptor,
    it also works ok. No problems here.
  • »08.05.04 - 09:56
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cookie
    This is not looking good. Can a defective PS/2 port prevent the system from booting? Is there a way to tell if the motherboard or CPU is any good?
  • »08.05.04 - 18:43
    Golem
    If you want to see the output from the serial port you should configure the terminal on the other end to 115200bps 8n1.
  • »08.05.04 - 20:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cookie
    I've tried everything I could think of to get this thing going ,what would happen if I booted without the onboard battery? Would that reset all ports to there default values? Are these boards fixable?
    TIA
  • »08.05.04 - 21:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Booting without the battery usually doesn't have an effect on CMOS settings they are usually in NVRAM. But there may be a CMOS reset jumper that you set boot for 5 sec, then set back and reboot.

Here is what I normally do when I'm not sure how the serial port is configured.

Start with N-8-1
    Start Baud at 2400bps and slowly work up from there
    Change cable from null modem to straight pass-through
    Note which way (nullmodem/passthroughI if I get garbage
    (garbage is good, it means something is coming out)
    Press enter a few times when booting with a new baud setting
    (some systems need to be told to start speaking)

Other than that sounds like you are in the same boat as some
    of the Peg][ owners that have had chips smoke, and DOA boards
    from dealers. (Hope not)

Best wishes
    -Shawn
    No more peg. :(
  • »08.05.04 - 22:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cookie
    I guess I should email direct to manufacturer to find out if it possible to reset nvram,or get this fixed..sure is frustrating , they should really get their hardware up to snuff if they want to expand this system . These breakdowns are not customer friendly.
  • »09.05.04 - 05:38