Copying files from PC to PEG II.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I'm trying to copy to files from my pc to my Peg II. Using SMBFS it tanks (PegII locks up) out everytime, the most I can copy is about 300 megs.

I'm using Miami as my TCP stack.

Any ideas?

Matt
  • »30.03.04 - 04:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    use an ftp site mabey
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »30.03.04 - 04:33
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Sounds like you are using the internal via_rhine network-adapter. Get a proper realtek pci and off you go.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »30.03.04 - 07:09
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    @hooligan
    Yes, I am using the motherboard nic.

So I have to purchase a realtek nic card to copy large files across my network? The internet works perfectly though...

What model do you recommend?

What driver do you use?

Thanks,

Matt
  • »30.03.04 - 13:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Got a burner for your PC? I have been making backup CDs to move stuff back to my Peg II from my A3000 when it gets here in a few weeks. The wait its killing me though!!!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »30.03.04 - 14:09
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    I had problems with via_rhine drivers when using Peg1, it could be they are still crap.

PCIScan tells me I have Realtek Semiconductor> Device 0x8139 (RT8139A/B/C) .. but I can't say which model of those. Anyway, after I installed it, everything has worked 110%.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »30.03.04 - 14:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I've got a few of those cards I got for my mediator in the A3000. They are cheap and work well. Its a shame you would have to put yet another Ethernet solution in the limited PCI slots you get. As it stands I plan to put a SB Live! card in, now a 8139 Ethernet card. That leaves me with only one slot left!!
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »30.03.04 - 16:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Black_Eagle
    I never had any problems with the internal VIA interface. Not on my old Peg 1 and not on my new Peg 2. And if internet works fine otherwise it shouldn't be tha drivers fault, right? Samba can be weird sometimes though, so try to run an ftp-server like rc-ftpd or similar on the Peg, then you can use ftp for transferring files.

(btw, there is no NIC built in a pegasos, since the C stands for Card, so it's just a NI in that case =)
    OnyxSoft - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better...
  • »30.03.04 - 16:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    The best bet would be an FTP server like mentioned below. Try using Serv-U on the PC. Its simple to set up and use. I've done it and used SimpleFTP on the AMiga to do it.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »30.03.04 - 17:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well, for me it doesn`t matter which protocol i am using, is it samba, ftp or even http, it allways fail. Problem for me seems the stack, or indeed the driver, because, if i set the device off and online again, everything is ok (true for genesis and miami DX)
  • »30.03.04 - 18:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    Hey Matt3,

Nice to hear Your peg is up and running.
    I have transferred files over 1gig in size between my pc and my PegII. I have never had a lockup due to the onboard Nic. I have had multiple lockups with the old IDE bug on bus 1, or old 68k FTP clients. Currently I use the onboard Nic with Miami and MFTP II as my ftp protocol. I have yet to have a lockup with Mftp II.

Try Mftp II off of the Vapor site, let us know.

Katos1
  • »30.03.04 - 20:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Bladerunner wrote:
    Well, for me it doesn`t matter which protocol i am using, is it samba, ftp or even http, it allways fail. Problem for me seems the stack, or indeed the driver, because, if i set the device off and online again, everything is ok (true for genesis and miami DX)

That sounds like the problems I was having on my Amiga with Mediator before I got my router. Once I put it all through a router I never had it lock up again. Give it a try. Routers are cheap these days.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »30.03.04 - 23:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    Yes Acill!

That is a Miami problem. Well, here it dosen't freeze my Amiga, but it freezes my Internet connection every 20 to 60 min, because my Internet provider changes it's IP and do not allow to have Fast IP.

I have a T3 line. That means 10mbit up and down and Miami shows really nice stuff. I've got arround 890 000cps with my 68k Miami. That is fantastic speed :) Would never get such results with my A4000 :/

So I will buy a router, .. :) So it dosen't hang up everytime my Internet provider renews its IP all the time.

Regards,
    Michal, www.amigaworld.org
    AMIGAWORLD CHANNEL LAUNCHES NEXT WEEK! BE PREPARED TO USE MPLAYER OR FROGGERNG FOR MORPHOS TO VIEW IT!
  • »31.03.04 - 03:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Acill:
    Well, I am afraid a Router won`t solve the Problem, as I allready have a router since ages ;-)
    It is an old 486 with the fli4l Router Software package, and i am running it now since 2 or 3 years, I even persuaded a friend of mine to do a control tool for the amiga :-) (to bad he doesn`t like Mui, he uses an ugly reaction gui :-( )
  • »31.03.04 - 04:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    hiTCH-HiKER
    I didn't try it yet, but my favourite way to copy files over the intranet is scp (secure copy). It comes with the MorphOS OpenSSH installation and should work fine. I'll try that later today with some files >500MB and tell you if it works.
  • »31.03.04 - 05:29
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Bladerunner wrote:

I experience the same trouble with internal NIC (via_rhine interface).

The driver seems boggy. Switch off/on interface make it works again.

I experience heavy slow down with voyager. Cannot download more than 1Mb data before the connection goes wrong (stalled).

Does someone experienced similar trouble?

Going to install a simple RTL8139 PCI NIC board...

Tcheko.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »31.03.04 - 10:33
    Profile Visit Website