Morphever by Encore
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    I would like to invite you to run and watch our new demo for MorphOS called "Morphever".
    Video generated from the demo was released in Wild demo competition on Decrunch 2022 party (October 21st-23rd, 2022) in Wrocław/Poland.
    There weren't many productions but won first place in this competition.

The demo hasn't used shaders yet, so everything uses 3D technology from about year 2000. :)

I would like to thank people from MorphOS community who helped me during creating the demo: Bigfoot, Recedent.

See you in our next production...

Executable version of the demo is available on the MorphOS Storage:
    https://www.morphos-storage.net/?id=1816099

Video (1080p, 60fps) generated from the demo is on the YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/Cy_qmzKN1vM

Morphever info on Pouet.net (demoscene portal):
    https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=92584

Morphever info on Demozoo (demoscene portal):
    https://demozoo.org/productions/314258/

[ Edited by MDW 23.10.2022 - 16:47 ]
  • »23.10.22 - 11:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Cool demo! Congrats winning the compo. We discussed that we should show off more visual stuff on the MorphOS Team booth on upcoming Amiga 3x/4x events, and I guess this is exactly the kind of content, we need.

So please also disregard whatever you wrote in the endscroller, and don't stop. :)
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »23.10.22 - 12:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Ran it on the iMac and....

- 59fps (i guess it is limited to 60 and won't hit that due to some minor timing issues)
    - at the end the temps are about 3 or 4° above idle (still under 60) and nothing feels hot or is noisy

So yeah there is some headroom still to be used.
  • »23.10.22 - 12:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Wow, runs on G2_2.3GHz/Radeon600 at about 58-60 frames/s. But only windowed (800x600) - fullscreen (1600x1050) crashes always after intro..

AND: Runs on Efika too(!!) with 40-50 frames/s! But without sound (not enough RAM, I think...)

Hmm, after quitting demo, sound seems to be disabled on EFIKA till reboot.

Edit: runs with sound, but only from shell, when booting with no startup-sequence (to save RAM).
    CPU-load is now between 56% and 85%, RAM free: 28MB! Radeon9200. WOW again!

And runs also in full screen (1024x768 in my case) with 35-60frames/s. I'm impressed!

Nice job!

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 23.10.2022 - 19:29 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »23.10.22 - 17:14
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Wow, runs on G2_2.3GHz/Radeon600 at about 58-60 frames/s. But only windowed (800x600) - fullscreen (1600x1050) crashes always after intro..

How do you start the demo in fullscreen? Do you enable fullscreen in demo launcher or start in window mode and switch to fullscreen (Right Command + F)? This is strange, nobody reported this crash. However I didn't tested on G2... What is the G2?

Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    AND: Runs on Efika too(!!) with 40-50 frames/s! But without sound...

Really? It works faster than I assumed. Efika is not slow hardware. :)

Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    But without sound (not enough RAM, I think...)

Yes, you are right (I think). I load whole WAVE file in to RAM. You could convert music_1 (WAVE) in to MP3. It should help for limited Efika RAM. :) Endscroller music (music_2) is in MP3 format.
    I used WAVE format because during playing sometimes animation wasn't perfect. CPU usage was much lower than 100% but I saw very small "noises" in a camera moving.
  • »23.10.22 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Ran it on the iMac and....
    - 59fps (i guess it is limited to 60 and won't hit that due to some minor timing issues)

Demo limites number of frames to frequency of a screenmode. If you had a screenmode and a monitor with the freq e.g. 100Hz, the limit will be set to 100 fps. Also in window mode.

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    - at the end the temps are about 3 or 4° above idle (still under 60) and nothing feels hot or is noisy

Yes, there is small break on endscroller. Main music is partially played on endscroller. End music is loaded and there is short break. Maybe in updates in a future I will change solution for playing the music. I wanted to release before 22 Oct 2022 and I almost didn't sleep 3 nights before the party because some unexpected problem occured. :)
  • »23.10.22 - 17:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Chain-Q wrote:
    Cool demo! Congrats winning the compo. We discussed that we should show off more visual stuff on the MorphOS Team booth on upcoming Amiga 3x/4x events, and I guess this is exactly the kind of content, we need.

I think the demo could be ported to e.g. AmigaOS4. However I have no AmigaOS4 and I think theme, style is not what AmigaOS4 users would like to watch. :) ;)

Quote:

Chain-Q wrote:
    So please also disregard whatever you wrote in the endscroller, and don't stop. :)

I wanted to stop this strange activity... However I can't! :)

Now I am going to create at least one week break (unfortunately for regular commercial work). After that I would like to realise one idea related to demoscene. Something much simpler that this project. I promised someone that I will try to do it. Of course for MorphOS.
    And finally I am going back to work on game (also for MorphOS) which I frozen 5 months ago). I should finish it because the progress of work is too advanced to stop it. :) Everything difficult elements have been already implemented, fixed. The rest is just a lot of quite simple tasks...
  • »23.10.22 - 17:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:

Yes, there is small break on endscroller. Main music is partially played on endscroller. End music is loaded and there is short break. Maybe in updates in a future I will change solution for playing the music. I wanted to release before 22 Oct 2022 and I almost didn't sleep 3 nights before the party because some unexpected problem occured. :)

Maybe a slight understanding here, I was referring to the fact that your demo does not even come close to taxing my HW to the point of it getting hot.

Hence "there is still some headroom" which is supported by it running on an Efika (with a Radeon9250 I'd guess) quite well.

Amigaharry2 obviously mistyped and the "G2" (which would be an Efika) really means a PowerMac G5 which should be a bit better than mine (+200MHz on the CPU and a better GPU) but is still limited to the 60Hz refresh rate.

I did start it in fullscreen (1680x1050) from the launcher, no crashes or other issues.
  • »23.10.22 - 18:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Yes, I mean G5!
    Chosed fullscreen from prefs-window. With r-comand+f it works!

And for your information (EFIKA):

44578517kj.jpg
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »23.10.22 - 18:20
    Kronos
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:

44578517kj.jpg

So the scroller was the worst performer and ruined the overall result? Funky....
  • »23.10.22 - 18:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Ja, ist seltsam, nicht? Man merkt sogar deutlich wie das Bild ruckelt.
  • »23.10.22 - 18:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Thanks for a great demo, MDW and Encore! :-) Enjoyed it a lot! Very atmospheric scenes - will definitely watch this one several times.
    Member of Void - An Amiga demo group (website)
  • »23.10.22 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    To be honest, I think all demos of Encore are great. E.g. think about Morphilia and its unbelivable good soundtrack.

I hope, MDW is motivated enough, to do further demos in future......
  • »23.10.22 - 19:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    To be honest, I think all demos of Encore are great. E.g. think about Morphilia and its unbelivable good soundtrack.

I hope, MDW is motivated enough, to do further demos in future......

I agree 100%, they are all top notch!

@MWD, great work on the latest one.

Can't wait for the next evolution with TinyGL updates :)
  • »24.10.22 - 05:53
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    Quote:

Chain-Q wrote:

I think the demo could be ported to e.g. AmigaOS4. However I have no AmigaOS4 and I think theme, style is not what AmigaOS4 users would like to watch. :) ;)

I think Chain-Q meant the upcoming Amiga 38, 39, 40, etc events in Germany (the yearly shows that are named according the age of Amiga), not AmigaOS 3.x or 4.x ;)
  • »24.10.22 - 06:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello,

Bad luck for me. As soon as I double click on the demo it crashes. The application is meditating.

My computer is stock macmini 1.5 ghz, 512 mb fast ram and 64 video ram.

Brumiga
  • »24.10.22 - 07:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    When I run it on my iMac iSight 2.1GHz G5, ~1.5GB RAM (actually fitted 2.5GB RAM), 128MB VRAM, running v3.17 MorphOS, it just opens a small window (604x341x24) - which seems to be a small snapshot of my own Ambient screen (top left corner) and then that window "meditates". :-( (like Brumiga has also reported)

Are there any dependencies that the DEMO needs to run, like any of the later, SDL or tinygl updates, etc.? :-?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.10.22 - 07:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    When I run it on my iMac iSight 2.1GHz G5, ~1.5GB RAM (actually fitted 2.5GB RAM), 128MB VRAM, running v3.17 MorphOS, it just opens a small window (604x341x24) - which seems to be a small snapshot of my own Ambient screen (top left corner) and then that window "meditates". :-( (like Brumiga has also reported)

Are there any dependencies that the DEMO needs to run, like any of the later, SDL or tinygl updates, etc.? :-?

That's strange, I've got the exact same machine and it runs fine this side
  • »24.10.22 - 09:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Maybe you should use latest version of TinyGL and (I'm not sure whether it is used here) SDL.

Try to start it without startup-sequence manually from initial-shell. I'm sure it works then.

Runs here on Mini, PB, G5, Pegasos and Efika!
    Only fullscreen on G5 makes troubles, when chosen in prefs-window (but not if switched with rcommand+f).

(Btw.: I hate autocorrection!)

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 24.10.2022 - 13:04 ]
  • »24.10.22 - 11:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the upcoming Amiga 38, 39, 40, etc events in Germany (the yearly shows [...])

Let's see whether the event series will turn annually from now on. So far it wasn't: 30, 32, 34 and 37 (which was meant to be 36 but Covid). As I see it, next shows will either be 38, 39... because turned annually, or 38, 40... to change back to original rhythm with 2-year gap, or 39, 41... to continue current rhythm with 2-year gap.
  • »24.10.22 - 13:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    A++
  • »24.10.22 - 13:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

The demo should work on your config very good. SDL is not necessary because this production doesn't use SDL. Have you tried to update TinyGL to the latest beta-version? It should work correctly with the betas...

Have you tried to run something like SnoopDOS before start the demo? Maybe something went wrong during depacking the LhA archive and a files are broken?
  • »24.10.22 - 16:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    44578517kj.jpg

So the scroller was the worst performer and ruined the overall result? Funky....

You are right. This is strange. I have to check rendering of fonts. I am sure that I used something like mesh-cache for these text-views for avoid many operations during rendering long formatted texts with proportional-fonts. I will check it. Maybe there is something which I would optimise, write better.
  • »24.10.22 - 16:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Chosed fullscreen from prefs-window. With r-comand+f it works!

This is strange... Why?!?! I am confused... Could you tell me what screen mode you select? Could you try to select an other screenmode?

Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    And for your information (EFIKA):

Thank you for very helpful report from Efika. I am really positive surprised. But I have to check font rendering because the scroll works with too small framerate. Shame! :)
  • »24.10.22 - 16:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    Hello,

Bad luck for me. As soon as I double click on the demo it crashes. The application is meditating.

My computer is stock macmini 1.5 ghz, 512 mb fast ram and 64 video ram.

Brumiga

Could you run the demo on window or select other screenmode for fullscreen? And disable sound. Just for test. Maybe we will find problematic element...
  • »24.10.22 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website