• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ zukow - So, I can confirm on my MacMini MorphOS system that:

1. the USB devices are no longer blocked when/after the scanner is plugged in/out
    2. Connection now works correctly when the program launches and the scanner is set to connect automatically

So that's great news, and thanks a lot for your trouble in fixing this long-term issue - I'll send you a donation if I can, or send one to the Dev. Team if that is the only other option - let me know how you'd prefer the donation to be handled.

However, the Settings gadget do not save the options of selecting JPEG as the preferred file save option, and that includes the "%" compression or Progressive option, or any other save-able options.

Also, the "automatically crop" option doesn't seem to work now, and it is not a save-able option as that also cannot be saved as part of any user settings, in fact I just don't think the Settings works/saves any user requirements at all, so that needs to be addressed/fixed. In fact I should mention that the SCANdal Amigaguide file is currently shown for SCANDAL 1.3, dated 27.12.2009, and it was mentioned in that file that the Scanning Settings would be made to function as a separate project - but that still does not seem to have been implemented as yet, so that is why they aren't being saved I suppose? :-?

The SCANdal documents need a refresh/update and would be better if they were corrected for English readers - if you would like me to edit the current file to improve its readability then I will do that for you, just let me know if this is of any use to you? :-)

The plugins seem to work OK with SCANdal v1.10, apart from the "Negative.plugin" which does the conversion but you cannot seem to "Undo" it - other than to choose the "clrcorrection.plugin" and preview/process the negative view back to a "positive" image.

Save project as, was always a strange option, as there does not seem to be any real use for it, as far as I can tell, as I get a virtually blank IFF file (FORM DATA w k n q x y Epson * 3 ) | * Perfection 1640 1 6 # o Q jpeg. muxer d TIFF COMPRESSION+0 e SUNRASTER BPP=24 f RAWVIDEO FORMAT=ARGB32 g PNG COMPRESSION=7 h JPEG COMPRESSION=92 PROGRESSIVE i IFFILBM COMPRESSION=0 BPP=24 j IFF DEEP COMPRESSION=0 BPP=24) created but it does not seem that the data as such is of any image, or is a Settings file that can be utilised as such, though that is what it appears it is more intended for it seems. It doesn't seem to be explained as to what use it should be used for either.

There is no MUI bubble-help on any gadget in the right-hand side of the interface, just on the left-hand gadgets for the rotate, crop, zoom options. I should also mention that the "FX" button is shown with MUI bubble help as Filters, but they are installed as "plugins" so there should be some continuity in what they are to be used/intended for so users don't get confused by there being 2 naming types for the one processing tool.

While I mention the GUI, the main window still cannot be sized to fully fit height/width in a 1280 x 1024 screen, and presumably other larger/smaller supported screenmodes. I think I have mentioned this before, but it is still an issue, and as a result of that screenmode issue the main program GUI window is only 3/4 of the page height, and the gadgets on the right hand side are oversized for their realistic usage, as the Left, Width, Top, Height gadget input fields are massive compared to their use, as they only hold 2 to 3 numeric for the "mm" area to scan, and so they seem to be one of the limiting factors in that part of the window being unnecessarily out of proportion.

For me, it would be a major improvement in the interface if the height of the main window could be resized to allow the whole screenmode height/width to be used, and the gadgets on the right hand field to be automatically moved over to the right slightly. Additionally a "Balance" MUI device would be an improvement if it allowed the gadgets to be shuffled further over to the right as required, which would allow the scan page to be viewed at a larger resolution than 3/4 of the page/screen/GUI interface height, and maybe a scrollbar gadget could be added to allow a page that is viewed as large as the available width will allow for the remaining vertical area, and maybe even the horizontal area, to be scrolled to see it all in greater detail for more accurate cropping or other uses.

The Mode, Resolution, Halftone, Gamma, Threshold, Sharpness, Option input gadgets and the Preview Mode checkmark gadget have already been made smaller than earlier SCANdal releases, but it is the lower half of the gadget section - the Left, Width, Top, Height gadget input fields that are still part of the trouble on the "Scan" tab, and the other gadgets on the "Save" tab that need addressing/fixing so it all works better, more efficiently.

If there was a Save As option then surely it would be great to have a "Save As ... PDF", especially if you could catalogue/combine several images into one file/PDF, so you could create a booklet from a few scans all saved as the one PDF - is this possible for a future implementation/feature?

The Print option seems to block the GUI/program, especially if there is no printer switched on/connected at the time, and there is also no option to select a method of printing or a device to use to print to, even if that is intended to be catered for via the default system printer. Sometimes you might want to print to another printing device than the default one, but printing does seem to be a major issue in that sense, and if no printer is detected after a short time, 30 seconds as a maximum, it should release itself from the task and generate an error requester, rather than block the whole program from then on tying up resources, probably justifying a reboot to be safe it isn't stopping other processes, especially printing from another application.

It was not my intention to make such a long response to your improvements to this program, as the improvements are beneficial, and fix the 2 issues previously mentioned in the Scandal and Mustek Bearpaw probs... thread, but they still need fixing, and ideally implementing that justify them being mentioned now.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.01.21 - 08:54