New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    He is alive! :))
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »04.04.20 - 13:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    Heh, great jaca, congratulations.

Glad to see all the build dependencies are there. The worst part is really to make it work at all. Then it's "just" a matter of wiring everything properly (which is what takes most of the time though :)).

Happy to see a recent webkit running, really.

How hard would be wiring Odissey with Jaca's updated webkit? Would it save time?
  • »06.04.20 - 07:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    Heh, great jaca, congratulations.

Glad to see all the build dependencies are there. The worst part is really to make it work at all. Then it's "just" a matter of wiring everything properly (which is what takes most of the time though :)).

Happy to see a recent webkit running, really.

How hard would be wiring Odissey with Jaca's updated webkit? Would it save time?

Quite some work, since a lot must have changed in platform/webcore API layers since latest Odyssey's webkit codebase.

But maybe it's time to have a more modern user interface, and rework it from scratch (or at least seriously rework it). I'm confident Jaca will do a great job there. :)

Anyway, it would also be nice to have webkit as a "library" (maybe not dynamic, but at least static), that way it could be reused in other applications "easily", as it was done for Iris (even if it's a stripped-down version of WebKit).
  • »06.04.20 - 10:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Hey Fab :)

Yes, the idea is to make an ObjC WkWebKit class & related delegates so that the web browser (or any other) application doesn't even need to include anything from WebCore or WTF on its own.

But right now I still have to get all the necessary systems up and running.
  • »06.04.20 - 13:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    Quite some work, since a lot must have changed in platform/webcore API layers since latest Odyssey's webkit codebase.

But maybe it's time to have a more modern user interface, and rework it from scratch (or at least seriously rework it). I'm confident Jaca will do a great job there. :)

Anyway, it would also be nice to have webkit as a "library" (maybe not dynamic, but at least static), that way it could be reused in other applications "easily", as it was done for Iris (even if it's a stripped-down version of WebKit).

Nice to see you posting here Fab. I hope that you are your family are healthy and staying safe, as all of us should be doing. Now that most people are staying home, due to the COVID-19 virus, do you perhaps have a little extra free time to help jadacaps with some of the work needed on the new web browser he has started? No doubt your experience in coding Odyssey, and your long experience programming in general, would be a great addition to his work.

I wish I had more coding skills, so that I could offer to help with some of the simplest parts.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.04.20 - 17:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Yes, the idea is to make an ObjC WkWebKit class & related delegates so that the web browser (or any other) application doesn't even need to include anything from WebCore or WTF on its own.

This is a really good idea! :-)

That would open up for a lot of creative uses in new programs, Iris being far from the only one!

Ideally it should also be possible to run JS etc in it to make a full web app, enclose it all in a proper MUI GUI with all necessary controls, and make it possible for the web-app and MUI-app to communicate to become one entity. It would IMHO make a lot of sense to create, say, a word processor this way. HTML for the document contents, JS for doing all the editing of it, one css for screen, one for paper print, and a MorphOS/MUI program around it to handle everything related to the OS and user interface. I believe the Spotify apps and many more are built in a similar way.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »08.04.20 - 12:47
  • ASiegel
    @ takemehomegrandma

Quote:

Ideally it should also be possible to run JS etc in it to make a full web app, enclose it all in a proper MUI GUI with all necessary controls, and make it possible for the web-app and MUI-app to communicate to become one entity. It would IMHO make a lot of sense to create, say, a word processor this way. HTML for the document contents, JS for doing all the editing of it, one css for screen, one for paper print, and a MorphOS/MUI program around it to handle everything related to the OS and user interface. I believe the Spotify apps and many more are built in a similar way.

A "hybrid app runtime" derived from Odyssey has been in existence in various incarnations since 2018. Considering that Odyssey uses a less demanding Webkit version, this seems like a good fit considering applications designed to be run locally and on certain operating systems can usually be tailored to the features of specific Webkit versions whereas websites are constantly evolving, thus require browser engine upgrades.

The main downside of running multiple applications in what is close to a UI-less Odyssey is that iconifying one application window will iconify all windows associated with the runtime application. This would require some option to hide the iconify button just like it exists for the "Close" window button in MUI. I doubt this will ever get implemented though.

Also, this is very much unrelated to the new web browser, of course, which is the main topic of this discussion.
  • »08.04.20 - 14:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Ideally it should also be possible to run JS etc in it to make a full web app, enclose it all in a proper MUI GUI with all necessary controls, and make it possible for the web-app and MUI-app to communicate to become one entity.

This is how Iris works already. It interfaces via JS commands. I'm mostly just making use of what I've learnt while working on Iris now.

As for a "hybrid", Iris has used that for a while - having a separate app that overlapped Iris' window to display HTML. This is, sadly, too messy to handle. It's far easier to simply link the whole thing together.

Anyway, I have now rebased to Safari-609.1.20.111.8, which is Safari 13.1 - meaning the latest there is, basically. Appears to work, too (at least to the same extent the old version did, there's still a ton of problems to address).

[ Edited by jacadcaps 08.04.2020 - 19:10 ]
  • »08.04.20 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'm just having to scrabble around in the dark here, as my mind just popped, and my jaw has fallen on the floor, so give me a moment ... :-o

Fortunately my hands remained attached, so I can type ... All those ideas seem excellent, and it's fantastic what you've achieved so far, in such a brief amount of time, hoping this all comes good in the end ...
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »08.04.20 - 19:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    So ever since the initial google.com screenshot I've been battling a bug that made WebKit lose sanity as soon as some heavier page was loaded - usually in the middle of the load.

This caused subsequent loads to fail too and several of my headaches. Anyway...

• »13.04.20 - 18:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Fantastic success! :D
  • »13.04.20 - 19:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - Most impressive, most impressive indeed you are ... and far better progress than I'd expected so far. :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.04.20 - 22:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > https://tunkki.dk/~jaca/webkit_goats.png

"goats", that was close ;-)
  • »14.04.20 - 00:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    So ever since the initial google.com screenshot I've been battling a bug that made WebKit lose sanity as soon as some heavier page was loaded - usually in the middle of the load.

This caused subsequent loads to fail too and several of my headaches. Anyway...

Glad you tested that. Goats are my go to search these days. :)
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »14.04.20 - 01:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Am I the only one who noticed that MorphOS on this screenshot runs on QEMU?
  • »14.04.20 - 07:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Am I the only one who noticed that MorphOS on this screenshot runs on QEMU?

See comments #65 and #69.
  • »14.04.20 - 08:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    See comments #65 and #69.

Ah, must have missed #69. Thanks.
  • »14.04.20 - 08:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Posting this from the new browser. Managed to fix cookies (required tweaks in SQL DB setup and porting libpsl - thanks to Piru for the latter). As you can see, text editing is starting to work. I got the wheel to work as well and tab navigation...
  • »16.04.20 - 16:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Posting this from the new browser. Managed to fix cookies (required tweaks in SQL DB setup and porting libpsl - thanks to Piru for the latter). As you can see, text editing is starting to work. I got the wheel to work as well and tab navigation...

Wow, talk about strides in development here! :-o

I think the new name should be Strider! Beacause it really is striding!

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.04.20 - 17:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Amazing progress!
  • »17.04.20 - 06:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - How about the name for your browser of ... "Amaze" - it's got the Am-iga/bient hook, and the internet is 'a maze' anyway, and anyone would be amazed at the progress you've made. 8-D
  • »17.04.20 - 07:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    CoronaBrowser, cannot imagine any other name ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.04.20 - 12:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

pampers wrote:

And a couple years from now new users will wonder why the browser is named after a Mexican beer? ;-)
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.04.20 - 13:15
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    waldiamiga
    Quote:

pampers wrote:

Good names, considering the times when this browser is created.

Pampers, good to see you again!

[ Edited by waldiamiga 17.04.2020 - 16:02 ]

MorphOS.pl
    PowerBook G4 1.67GHz|2GB DDR2|ATI Radeon 9700M 128MB|SSD 80GB|TFT 17"|MorphOS 3.1x
    Core i7 Notebook|WinUAE 3.x/AmigaOS4.1x & Icaros Desktop 2.x & QEmu 6.x.x
  • »17.04.20 - 14:01