New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Version 1.3 is out now with

Minor perofrmance improvements, mostly on G5
    Fixed lists in settings displaying no text, sometimes crashing (read: worked around MUI issues)
    Fixed url string background offsets
    Activate an exiting tab instead of adding a new one for downloads/bookmarks/settings
    Fixed tab buttons becoming invisible or corrupt on some configs
    Fixed an issue where adding a link to quick links via menu would display them in a wrong location in the Bookmarks tab
    Fixed quicklink buttons to respect releasing mouse of of button bounds
  • »19.10.20 - 04:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Daff wrote:

BTW, I will publish a review of Wayfarer 1.0/1.1/1.2 very soon.

Do you have to restart your writing every other day because of the pace new releases are coming...?

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »19.10.20 - 07:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Version 1.3 is out now with

Minor perofrmance improvements, mostly on G5

Not on my G5.
    Sunspider benchmark on Wayfarer 1.2: 3543.5ms
    Sunspider benchmark on Wayfarer 1.3: 4072.4ms
  • »19.10.20 - 07:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: Version 1.3 is out now with
    . . . ]
    Fixed tab buttons becoming invisible or corrupt on some configs . . .]

I haven't noticed any improvement in this regard with MUI, as my Active Tab still is not Highlighted using MUI Settings, that is set in the same way as it was with OWB, but doesn't function with Wayfarer v1.x . . . so far. :-?

Apart from that, the invisible Settings List, and the resulting "meditation" with MUI when accessing Settings you seem to have fixed, which is great, as-in . . . no more v1.2 issues, and onwards with v1.3 . . . . Great, and Super-Fast work . . . as usual, THANKS

Oh, I noticed that if you try to save a Quick Link via a Tab as it is loading then Wayfarer "meditates" - are you aware of that?

AND . . . after a "meditation" you then find that all Settings drop-back to default, or have been removed/deleted/lost, so as with eBay you cannot attempt to login with the Default User Agent set as Wayfarer (as you will end up with a blank webpage), so only when you change that to Safari, or something else than Wayfarer, will it load up the login page. Bear in mind that the "meditation" also de-activates the Show . . . Website Icons + Status Bar + Quick Links Bar, as I have said a "meditation" at that point returns all Settings to "default, it seems. :-(

The "meditation" does not affect the Quick Link you were trying to save, or other saved Quick Links, but they need to be re-activated in the Settings, or via the View menu, to get them to display once more, which is a bit of a nuisance.

By the way, having Quick Links makes using Wayfarer a lot easier, as in simpler to use for the links you use most. However, how many Quick Links does it support? It seems to lay itself out dynamically, but does it move/create a new line when there's no more space/room left on the first line? :-?

With OWB you could use the right-mouse button context-menu to trigger options to open in another Tab, along with other options, but that was the one I used predominantly, but this is currently not possible with Wayfarer - has this feature been asked for by other users, &/or already on the to-do list? :-?

Also, here's another anomaly - if you left mouse-click on the Bookmarks menu you can see both the Sub-Menus, that's including their Sub-Menus . . . BUT . . . if you use the right-mouse button context menu to access the Bookmarks then you only get to see the first level of Sub-Menus, weird or what!? :-?

Also, a strange webpage layout that doesn't occur on OWB or on Firefox of Microsft Edge or Ten Four Fox AFAIK, in that when you load up PageStream DTP webpage and then allow your mouse cursor to hover over "Sister Sites", then click on PageStream Forum, and the page loads slightly more unusually layout wise than it does with other browsers, but ... right-click with the mouse in a blank part of the page (probably any part of the page) and the page will re-arrange itself there and then to what it usually looks like . . . quite weird, but is there a reason why it would do that with Wayfarer, when I haven't noticed it do that with any other web-browser I've visited the pages with? :-?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »19.10.20 - 07:56
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    Here on my G5 2.7Ghz :

- 1.2 : 3587.9ms +/- 0.3%
    - 1.3 : 3424.1ms +/-0.4%
    - OWB 1.26 : 2721.7ms +/- 0.4%

[ Edité par beworld 19.10.2020 - 12:53 ]
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »19.10.20 - 11:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

beworld wrote:
    Here on my G5 2.7Ghz :

- 1.2 : 3587.9ms +/- 0.3%
    - 1.3 : 3424.1ms +/-0.4%
    - OWB 1.26 : 2721.7ms +/- 0.4%

[ Edité par beworld 19.10.2020 - 12:53 ]

You got me here, mate.
    My result for 1.2 is quite similar, but 1.3 differs greatly. There's nothing I did to change the default configuration that might affect the result.

I agree that Wayfarer 1.3 results are better on Krakenbench though.

1.2 : 131724.9 ms
    1.3 : 123982.9 ms
  • »19.10.20 - 12:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I haven't noticed any improvement in this regard with MUI, as my Active Tab still is not Highlighted using MUI Settings

What setting are we talking about? Tab colors look exactly the same between OWB and Wayfarer:

Quote:

Oh, I noticed that if you try to save a Quick Link via a Tab as it is loading then Wayfarer "meditates" - are you aware of that?

No and unless you can provide me with logs, there's little I can do about this. I haven't been able to reproduce this myself. Same for your other crashes.

Quote:

However, how many Quick Links does it support? It seems to lay itself out dynamically, but does it move/create a new line when there's no more space/room left on the first line? :-?

There's no limit but it won't create new lines. Maybe later.

Quote:

With OWB you could use the right-mouse button context-menu to trigger options to open in another Tab

Wasn't even aware of that. You can click a quicklink button with MMB to open the link in new tab.

Quote:

Also, here's another anomaly - if you left mouse-click on the Bookmarks menu you can see both the Sub-Menus, that's including their Sub-Menus . . . BUT . . . if you use the right-mouse button context menu to access the Bookmarks then you only get to see the first level of Sub-Menus, weird or what!? :-?

That I believe depends on your MUI settings, namely Menus > Appearance.

Quote:

Also, a strange webpage layout that doesn't occur on OWB or on Firefox of Microsft Edge or Ten Four Fox AFAIK, in that when you load up PageStream DTP webpage...

That page looks broken on Vivaldi/Chrome (and in Safari, just a different layout issue) so I'm not going to bother investigating. That's something for Deron to fix.
  • »19.10.20 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    havent tried 1.3 yet, but how much potential is there to make wayfarer faster? It is usable but still slow on a Peg2/1GHz.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.10.20 - 15:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I think it's something between very slow and very very slow, sorry.
  • »19.10.20 - 15:46
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Depends on what you compare it with.

Compare it with Epiphany Web Browser on Linux, using the same webkit-gtk basis - Wayfarer on MorphOS is blazingly fast on the same machine (which would be a PowerBook G4 in my case). :-D
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »19.10.20 - 16:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    This is why I did not want to port WebKit2. It's just too slow on single-core machines.
  • »19.10.20 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    havent tried 1.3 yet, but how much potential is there to make wayfarer faster? It is usable but still slow on a Peg2/1GHz.

Maybe it's just me but Wayfarer 1.3 seems much quicker on Powerbook. Pages seem to load faster now.
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »19.10.20 - 19:22
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Version 1.4 is out now.
  • »19.10.20 - 19:35
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    jacadcaps, you are crazy guy!!! Do you never sleep?
    Absolutely stunning!
    regards
    eliot
  • »19.10.20 - 20:32
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Version 1.4 is out now.

Cmon! I just got 1.3 an hour ago! LOL.
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »19.10.20 - 20:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: I haven't noticed any improvement in this regard with MUI, as my Active Tab still is not Highlighted using MUI Settings

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: What setting are we talking about? Tab colors look exactly the same between OWB and Wayfarer:
    OK I'll send you some more debugs and screengrabs tonight to your gmail account - bear in mind you are showing your QEMU version of OWB and Wayfarer, and Thomas Igracki - found/reported the same issue, so that issue is already corroborated by Thomas Igracki, who is another well respected user/developer, with the TAB not highlighting through MUI Settings to make the Active Tab "Active"- it's not just me that's reporting this issue. Not many people would consider tinkering with the MUI settings to achieve this improvement, but it's worth it as it highlights your active Tab, well it's supposed to, so you can easily spot the Active Tab if you've got a few that you are managing/have open at the time.

I am not aimng for one-upmanship points here, in any way, I am just stating that this is an issue, and it still needs addressing - when you fix it I'll be only too happy to say so - I am not trying to make things up for you to do, as I know you are very busy on our behalf, and I'm really grateful for all your efforts so far - I've already said so many, many times.

Quote:

NewSense wrote: Oh, I noticed that if you try to save a Quick Link via a Tab as it is loading then Wayfarer "meditates" - are you aware of that?

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:No and unless you can provide me with logs, there's little I can do about this. I haven't been able to reproduce this myself. Same for your other crashes.

Logs to follow tonight - stand-by for more e-mail attachments from me. :-(
    Quote:

Quicklinks - jacadcaps wrote:There's no limit but it won't create new lines. Maybe later.

OK, that's great that you'll consider improving the features. 8-)
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: With OWB you could use the right-mouse button context-menu to trigger options to open in another Tab

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: Wasn't even aware of that. You can click a quicklink button with MMB to open the link in new tab.
    Well you learn something new everyday, I know I do -> , and thanks for letting me know the MMB is intended to open a QuickLink in a New Tab - that works really well. 8-D
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: Also, here's another anomaly - if you left mouse-click on the Bookmarks menu you can see both the Sub-Menus, that's including their Sub-Menus . . . BUT . . . if you use the right-mouse button context menu to access the Bookmarks then you only get to see the first level of Sub-Menus, weird or what!? :-?

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: That I believe depends on your MUI settings, namely Menus > Appearance.

That can't be correct because my MUI > Menus > Appearance options are basically the same for both browsers - I'll send you a screengrab via email for you look over and confirm.
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: Also, a strange webpage layout that doesn't occur on OWB or on Firefox of Microsft Edge or Ten Four Fox AFAIK, in that when you load up PageStream DTP webpage...

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: That page looks broken on Vivaldi/Chrome (and in Safari, just a different layout issue) so I'm not going to bother investigating. That's something for Deron to fix.

I'll agree with that, as Deron has been told about the header and some other features that aren't correct, don't work properly, and he's failed to fix them for years now, which gives a really bad impression of a developer - I am sorry to say, and that certainly does not apply to you. (@ jacadcaps)

I notice that it is also possible to transfer the Quick Links from one version of Wayfarer to the next by copying the bookmarks.json file to the Settings folder in the later version, so that saves some effort, as it can be fiddly to set it all up in the 1st place.

[ Edited by NewSense 20.10.2020 - 00:49 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »19.10.20 - 20:43
    tolkien
    Oh mate....really? I have just installed 1.3!! Thanks never sleeping man! :)
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »19.10.20 - 20:46
    Cego
    Is it possible to add Proxy support? It's not a perfect solution, but i could put an SSLStrip/raspberry in between and get some extra speedup.

OWB runs pretty fast that way.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »19.10.20 - 21:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you are showing your QEMU version of OWB and Wayfarer

See comment #69 :-)
  • »19.10.20 - 23:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    @NewSense
    Quote:

bear in mind you are showing your QEMU version of OWB and Wayfarer

There is no such thing as "QEMU version of OWB and Wayfarer". QEMU is just used to be able to test faster than with real hardware and on the go. The binaries are exactly the same regardless of if run on QEMU or real hardware.

Jacek is not disputing that there is an issue somewhere, he's just saying that he needs more information. It is often difficult to understand where some problem is arising from, especially since the system is so highly configurable. Custom MUI configurations especially can lead to unexpected behaviour and to issues that are not visible in more "typical" MUI configurations.

Hence we often need extremely detailed explanation of the configuration and settings being used. If the issue can't be reproduced by the developers it's very hard to try fix it.
  • »20.10.20 - 00:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Piru - What I meant was that Jacadcaps was showing OWB and Wayfarer on QEMU - not actual MorphOS Apple hardware - it was being run in an emulation environment, which might not display the same nuances of actual hardware.
    Quote:

Piru wrote: Jacek is not disputing that there is an issue somewhere, he's just saying that he needs more information.

That's not the way I read that . . . it reads more like - "well it's working for me so it's only you who has the problem" maybe not in so many words, but that's the way it could be and was interpreted by me.

However, if I am supposed to take the inference as supposed to be interpreted the way you say it should - more data required . . . then I will as I have said already, I'll offer more data for jacadcaps to look through, but he will probably need some data from Thomas Igracki as well as we both have got this issue, whether anyone else has setup this "Active" Tab feature through MUI or not.

Having said that, if it works in OWB, then why is it not working in Wayfarer - I setup the "Active" Tab in OWB previously the same way I tried to set it up for Wayfarer - it still works in OWB, but it doesn't in Wayfarer. I would imagine that is what Thomas Igracki did as well, and it doesn't seem to work for him either, so surely it is something wrong in the way Wayfarer reacts with MUI and nothing to do with my or Thomas Igracki's MUI / Wayfarer prefs/configuration files - so overall I don't see what benefit they will be sending them, but I will send them if required, but I sent them yesterday as well, so they should be still valid for today, as neither of them are working within the hardware we are using (My system that this issue refers to is a MacMini currently, though I have a PowerBook, and a PowerMac G5 I can at some point try this issue out on to see if other hardware is OK with the Active Tab issue and it's just the MacMini that is affected by this problem - but I'm not at that point as yet . . . AFAIK.

Quote:

Piru wrote: Hence we often need extremely detailed explanation of the configuration and settings being used. If the issue can't be reproduced by the developers it's very hard to try fix it.

I can imagine that is a very difficult situation to be in, and I will do my utmost to assist you all in tracking down what is causing this issue, so I will supply what data files I can to assit you all, but my involvement is "barely scratching the surface" of this problem.
  • »20.10.20 - 01:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    NewSense,

I wasn't trying to dismiss your problem, merely trying to illustrate that I do not understand what it is, exactly. I've only discovered the emails you've sent in the GMail spam folder (how did they end up there, only Google's algorithm guys would know).

Piru is right about the fact that some of those issues are very hard to reproduce - the downside of our system being extremely configurable.

Anyway, I'll respond to your emails soon.
  • »20.10.20 - 02:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - I've just sent you another email - check your SPAM again I suppose - I hope this helps to understand and fix the issues I am trying to get you to recreate to fix.

I appreciate your directness, and I'll try not to interpret your messages in any other way than that you are inquisitive and trying to help, though I have tried to do that anyway - it's always best to not get drawn into a situation that doesn't exist. 8-D

I was just looking at your previous image that you put in showing Wayfarer - showing Tabs coloured, but I am not sure if you have the "Tabs" actually shown as Rows / Buttons / Tabs.

If I set my MUI Settings to colour the "Tabs" as "Rows" which is what yours look like then they are coloured to what I select, BUT . . . ONLY 1 colour - not Highlighted for the Selected / Active one, but if I select "Tabs", which is what I have them selected as, then they only show as 1 colour - as you have them shown, and the Active one is not Highlighted with the pen(s) or image I select to Highlight / Activate it.
  • »20.10.20 - 03:25
    BSzili
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > you are showing your QEMU version of OWB and Wayfarer

See comment #69 :-)

This is the gift that keeps on giving :-D
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »20.10.20 - 06:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I wasn't trying to dismiss your problem, merely trying to illustrate that I do not understand what it is, exactly.

I read backwards to see what the issue with tabs is now, and I seem to have the same issue on my hacky config, but also when booting a fresh system from the ISO file, so it doesn't seem to be about MUI configs either.

So maybe a screenshot helps to illustrate the issue :)

Here I booted from the 3.14 ISO, and extracted Wayfarer 1.4 to the ram disk and ran it from there. All settings are default, except that I changed colors from MUI Settings -> Groups -> Tab Groups -> Container/Title, and Layout to "tabs". I tried the same for OWB for comparison too, and you can see both cases in the screnshot below.

tab_colouring.png
  • »20.10.20 - 07:31
    Profile Visit Website