New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    Will your fixes be merged to the master branch?

Daniel Kolesa from Void Linux / PPC submitted JavaScript BE fixes in May and so far the patch was totally ignored. Given this, I really don't see the point.
  • »28.09.20 - 17:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @jacadcaps,

Will you add any publicity blocker ? Because on owb/Odyssey, adblock ticked there are publicities appearing. Partialy and certainly due to the poor support for flash, do I suppose. But they appear. Will it be possible to add extensions like adblock plus or any others ?

I encounter two other problems when I want to consult my mails via the browser on the webmail. Some links point to fake web pages, with dangerous content. Possible phishing, viruses or mailwares. On others webpages a fake javascript pops up warning me that my computer could/might be infected by a virus and inviting me to contact by phone a friend or him to buy an overpricey antivirus software. if I do not react immediatly by closing it window the fake javascript will block the browser, and try maybe also to block the operating system. Luckily firefox detects this and warns to stop this fake javascript or wait. It also warns about fake websites. My question is simple, what will contain your new browser, wayfarer, about security matters ?

Brumiga

[ Edité par Brumiga 29.09.2020 - 16:12 ]
  • »29.09.20 - 15:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    Will you add any publicity blocker ?

AdBlock Plus files support is already there.

Quote:

I encounter two other problems when I want to consult my mails via the browser on the webmail.

I suggest you give Iris a try.

Quote:

My question is simple, what will contain your new browser, wayfarer, about security matters ?

Malicious JavaScript isn't targeted at MorphOS and so it's not a concern. That said you can always browse with JavaScript off by default and enable it only for websites you trust.
  • »29.09.20 - 15:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > on owb/Odyssey, adblock ticked there are publicities appearing.
    > Partialy and certainly due to the poor support for flash, do I suppose.

I don't think the fact you're still seeing ads despite activated adblock has anything to do with Flash.
  • »29.09.20 - 20:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Are any actively maintained websites even using Flash these days?
  • »29.09.20 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - The BBC (British Broadcasting Company) uses Flash for their online TV viewing service "iPlayer", so having Flashplayer support would be great for that online TV viewing service. 8-D

On a slightly different topic, has the website Parcel2Go been checked recently as they changed their login screen so OWB is "banjaxed" from other than seeing the backdrop image and no input fields are displayed at all.

PayPal has also changed a lot, sometimes when being accessed via ebay and sometimes when being accessed directly as the page seems to be predominantly JavaScript and takes an age to load up, with faint blank fields where the input fields eventually appear once the JavaScrips has been interpreted as intended.

Also, will Wayfarer also take this amount of time to load up a similar/same webpage even with the newer JavaScript and newer webengine you've worked on?

Also, F1 - motor racing website also uses a video format that OWB cannot handle or even see the thumbnail/image for, but will Wayfarer be able to handle that video format correctly, and play it at a watchable speed on a MacMini 1.5GHz? The video/audio features I've mentioned are factors I hope you will be able to bear in mind as I know video/audio is not likely be implemented in the initial release of Wayfarer.

[ Edited by NewSense 30.09.2020 - 00:31 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.09.20 - 00:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quite some universities are using panopto which is a flash based video plugin. Nevertheless I don't think flash is worth any hassle. It's dying out and almost has already.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »30.09.20 - 00:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ jacadcaps - The BBC (British Broadcasting Company) uses Flash for their online TV viewing service "iPlayer", so having Flashplayer support would be great for that online TV viewing service. 8-D

Really? They use HLS for their videos on BBC News so I'd be surprised if they really required flash - but I cannot check since it doesn't work outside of UK.

Quote:

Also, will Wayfarer also take this amount of time to load up a similar/same webpage even with the newer JavaScript and newer webengine you've worked on?

I'd say: expect it to be slightly slower than OWB w/o JIT. It's certainly usable on most websites.

Quote:

Also, F1 - motor racing website also uses a video format that OWB cannot handle or even see the thumbnail/image for, but will Wayfarer be able to handle that video format correctly, and play it at a watchable speed on a MacMini 1.5GHz?

As I've said multiple times already: do not expect video or audio support for now. The website you've mentioned uses MPEG-TS/HLS which should not be a big of a problem to support (provided it is not encrypted), but I will not commit to any availability dates for now. Media support will certainly be the "next big thing" after the initial release and stabilisation.
  • »30.09.20 - 00:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    Will your fixes be merged to the master branch?

Daniel Kolesa from Void Linux / PPC submitted JavaScript BE fixes in May and so far the patch was totally ignored. Given this, I really don't see the point.
    p

That's sad although perhaps if more than one developer tries to get their changes merged they'll see that there's some demand and accept them.

[ Edited by Crumb 30.09.2020 - 09:42 ]
  • »30.09.20 - 08:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: @ jacadcaps - The BBC (British Broadcasting Company) uses Flash for their online TV viewing service "iPlayer", so having Flashplayer support would be great for that online TV viewing service. 8-D

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: Really? They use HLS for their videos on BBC News so I'd be surprised if they really required flash - but I cannot check since it doesn't work outside of UK.

OK, here's some information via Google about the BBC and its use of FlashPlayer with iPlayer

"Why does BBC still use Flash Player?
    The BBC has a security issue, they need to provide some level of content protection to prevent people downloading videos (it is unfair to call it DRM). Flash provides some level of content protection natively but content protection support in web browsers is fragmented by comparison."

When I try to load a video from iPlayer with OWB it generates an error message which states

"Sorry, you need Flash to play this.

Enable it in your browser or

download Flash Player here.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote: Haven't they been offering it in a HTML5 version for half a decade?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34399754
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/html5

NewSense wrote: That's true, BUT ...

"Does iPlayer use Flash?
    The BBC's iPlayer has been made available using the HTML5 web language, at the expense of Adobe's Flash player. The broadcaster's media service was one of the most prominent online platforms to use Flash. ... However, the Flash version will remain available"

However, if Wayfarer will allow the HTML5 version of iPlayer to be utilised then maybe this would be a far better thing than trying to implement a Flash Player utilitiy as it probably wouldn't bypass the security features that Flash have built-in that the BBC uses to incorporate some media constraints on users just downloading their copyrighted materials. 8-D
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: Also, will Wayfarer also take this amount of time to load up a similar/same webpage even with the newer JavaScript and newer webengine you've worked on?

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: I'd say: expect it to be slightly slower than OWB w/o JIT. It's certainly usable on most websites.

That's what I expected, so thanks for that update.
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: Also, F1 - motor racing website also uses a video format that OWB cannot handle or even see the thumbnail/image for, but will Wayfarer be able to handle that video format correctly, and play it at a watchable speed on a MacMini 1.5GHz?

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: As I've said multiple times already do not expect video or audio support for now.:

Woah !! . I added on the end of my Formula1.com comment . . that I'm aware that you've already said that video/audio implementation will be delayed ... sometime after Wayfarer's release. so please don't make it out that I didn't state that in the same question. I'm just asking a question to point out that this site is of interest and that I'd like to be able to access the public videos on it, if Wayfarer will be capable of doing so . . . at some point in the future, that's all. 8-)
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: [... The website you've mentioned uses MPEG-TS/HLS which should not be a big of a problem to support (provided it is not encrypted), but I will not commit to any availability dates for now. Media support will certainly be the "next big thing" after the initial release and stabilisation.

OK, that's what I hoped would be your reply, but my ears are still burning at the moment! 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.09.20 - 10:28
    ernsteiswuerfel
    A really polished release for version 1.0!

I also like the inbuilt password manager very much! A nice improvement would be an additional option in the requester to never save passwords for certain sites, besides Yes and Cancel. I save passwords for sites like a1k org morph.zone but never for Amazon, Paypal or ebanking stuff. Would improve things if Wayfarer remembers that once I told him.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »05.10.20 - 14:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    A really polished release for version 1.0!

I also like the inbuilt password manager very much! A nice improvement would be an additional option in the requester to never save passwords for certain sites, besides Yes and Cancel. I save passwords for sites like a1k org morph.zone but never for Amazon, Paypal or ebanking stuff. Would improve things if Wayfarer remembers that once I told him.

I don't know if feature requests, like the message above and others in this thread, are a help, or a nuisance to jadacaps, but my guess is that he could be better served by spending his spare time coding, instead of having to answer so many questions about Wayfarer, until after it's initial release. After that, it would be more likely that feature requests could be worked on, because all of the work to get the initial code to a release state would be finished. I think Jacek has been very patient and kind to answer as many questions about Wayfarer as he has done here, and I guess it is up to him to decide if he wants to continue answering questions about his work in progress, or stop because it is taking up too much of his time to read and reply to this thread.

I think many programmers wait until after they have released a program to mention it to the forums, for exactly this reason. They don't want to be flooded with questions and feature requests, before they have released an initial version. I could be wrong.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.10.20 - 15:48
  • ASiegel
    @amigadave

You might find it interesting to check out the news section on the frontpage of MorphZone.
  • »05.10.20 - 15:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    @amigadave

You might find it interesting to check out the news section on the frontpage of MorphZone.

Yes, I was just going to edit my previous message, after seeing the news section.

Oh well, I'm well known for my mistakes around here already.
  • »05.10.20 - 15:54
    Templario
    I like your browser and sorry I try to see one picture like that
    https://www.morphos-storage.net/Misc/Collections_1.1_4.jpg
    But your browser instead of show the picture, show the binary code from it.
  • »05.10.20 - 18:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Templario wrote:

Maybe it gets confused by the .1_4.jpg file extension? ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.10.20 - 19:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It happens when the server doesn't set correct MIME types. A known issue, I'll look into it eventually.
  • »05.10.20 - 19:04
    Profile Visit Website
    Templario
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma escribió:
    Quote:

Templario wrote:

Maybe it gets confused by the .1_4.jpg file extension? ;-)

OWB shows it fine.
  • »05.10.20 - 19:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    It's really incredible what you have achieved in such a small timespan! It's working great for my needs so far.

Small question:

Is there a setting where if I click a link for example and want to open it in a new tab ( for later reading ), for that tab to not take the focus?

I saw the same behaviour in OWB. Where as in my Linux machines neither Firefox or Chrome has this behaviour and keeps you on the page you are currently on.

EDIT: I must actually read the context menu when right clicking. Very first option. Great stuff!

[ Edited by MoerBoer 05.10.2020 - 22:48 ]
  • »05.10.20 - 20:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    It happens when the server doesn't set correct MIME types. A known issue, I'll look into it eventually.

Congratulations on your public release of MorphOS3.14 and version 1.0 of Wayfarer!

Another donation sent for this great accomplishment, from my tiny retirement account. Well done Jacek!
  • »06.10.20 - 00:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote:
    EDIT: I must actually read the context menu when right clicking. Very first option. Great stuff!

You can also do this with the middle mouse button. Shift + MMB opens a new window. Alt + MMB = Download linked file.
  • »06.10.20 - 00:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Made some brief tests, here's my first thoughts:

* Wayfarer loads about 15-20% slower on boot compared to latest OWB
    * It consumes less memory per same page but I see the hd sbar module getting crazy on read/writes. Is it possible to configure Wayfarer to dump everything on ram and not the hd as with OWB?
    * Is it possible to have a personal bar on gui (i.e. below address bar) where we can place the bookmarks?
    * I imported my OWB bookmarks correctly, however bookmark folders which had sub folders don't display correctly when clicking on Bookmarks option
    * Wayfarer seems to load about 10-15% faster same pages that I checked but I need to do more testing. However, some pages with jspcripts work correctly on OWB and not on Wayfarer. some pages that I tried but I still need Here's an example, the text after "news" seems messed up on Wayfarer.

Will return with more tests :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »06.10.20 - 09:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    It's also messed up on OWB here....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »06.10.20 - 09:53