New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Work on Wayfarer 7 (aka WebKitGTK-2.42.2) is progressing. Unfortunately, WebKit cleanups mean I have to re-implement downloads entirely. This is going to be quite a bit of work!
  • »13.11.23 - 18:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Is it possible to have downloadstreams in a separate window (not in a tab)?
    And: How to break/stop a running download? (I tried to download erroneously a 3GB-file to Ram: - you can imagine what willl happen....)
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »13.11.23 - 22:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    If I use "Wayfarer" as the User Agent then with some websites Wayfarer v6.6 switches to the website's "mobile" appearance, which is not useful on a desktop environment as many of the additional options are omitted, and I end up swapping over to Safari, which generally works best for desktop viewing of websites with MorphOS, well it does for me. 8-)

That said, PayPal seems to work as it used to do, as far as I've tested it, which is great, so donation sent for this improvement/fix! 8-D

Will we ever, in the forseeable future, be able to use Wayfarer to download a file of about 4.3GB in size onto any MorphOS supported disk media? :-?

I ask as Jalapeno seems to have enough trouble in burning an ISO file of more than about 1.2GB to a DVD disk without employing a form of concatenation to create mini data packs that it 'glues' the data together as it records it onto one complete file on DVD media. ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »14.11.23 - 02:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Will we ever, in the forseeable future, be able to use Wayfarer to download
    > a file of about 4.3GB in size onto any MorphOS supported disk media?

According to https://library.morph.zone/Filesystems, this should be possible using (one of) the following filesystems:

ext2/ext3, IceFS, ExFAT, NTFS-3G

Or is there anything in Wayfarer itself that prevents downloading files larger than 4 GiB?
  • »14.11.23 - 11:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Will we ever, in the forseeable future, be able to use Wayfarer to download
    > a file of about 4.3GB in size onto any MorphOS supported disk media?

According to https://library.morph.zone/Filesystems, this should be possible using (one of) the following filesystems:

ext2/ext3, IceFS, ExFAT, NTFS-3G

Or is there anything in Wayfarer itself that prevents downloading files larger than 4 GiB?

IceFS is the only "viable" option in that it will work, but having used it for this purpose before. IceFS will get corrupted within a month usually and will require a reformat since the tools are not very successful at recovery. IceFS does not like high volumes of reading/writing. To bad it was abandoned many years ago as it is a good native options.

The other options are either read only or you will need a super secret password to gain access to a FS that doesn't exist.
  • »14.11.23 - 11:51
  • ghh
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ghh
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    And: How to break/stop a running download? (I tried to download erroneously a 3GB-file to Ram: - you can imagine what willl happen....)

I think jacadcaps already wrote it here. You can move the download tab to a new window.
  • »14.11.23 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:

You can pop out the Downloads page to a separate window.

Quote:

Select a download and press the pause or delete button.
  • »14.11.23 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    If I use "Wayfarer" as the User Agent then with some websites Wayfarer v6.6 switches to the website's "mobile" appearance, which is not useful on a desktop environment as many of the additional options are omitted, and I end up swapping over to Safari, which generally works best for desktop viewing of websites with MorphOS, well it does for me. 8-)

I have no way of influencing what websites do when encountering the Wayfarer user-agent, which is why Safari is the new default. That said, mobile sites usually load and work faster.

Quote:

Will we ever, in the forseeable future, be able to use Wayfarer to download a file of about 4.3GB in size onto any MorphOS supported disk media? :-?

Do you have some specific repro steps for this? I am unaware of any issues with size limitations when downloading files in Wayfarer itself.

Quote:

I ask as Jalapeno seems to have enough trouble in burning an ISO file of more than about 1.2GB to a DVD disk without employing a form of concatenation to create mini data packs that it 'glues' the data together as it records it onto one complete file on DVD media. ;-)

What problem is it you speak of? Splitting large files like this is used to be a standard practice, not just on MorphOS.
  • »14.11.23 - 13:12
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    What about WebAuthn support?
    If you would like to use a passkey.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »14.11.23 - 14:41
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

Do you have some specific repro steps for this? I am unaware of any issues with size limitations when downloading files in Wayfarer itself.

I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but if I select "Download Linked File As", Wayfarer downloads the file to the default download location first, and then moves the complete file to the selected destination. In my case the default path is set to RAM: and that limits how big files I can download without changing the default path. I've forgot to ask this earlier, but when you're rewriting the code, could it write files directly to the selected destination?
  • »14.11.23 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    IceFS is the only "viable" option in that it will work, but having used it for this purpose before. IceFS will get corrupted within a month usually and will require a reformat since the tools are not very successful at recovery. IceFS does not like high volumes of reading/writing. To bad it was abandoned many years ago as it is a good native options.

IceFS was a super idea and I was longing forward to it but the bugs in there never got fixed. I had to use the IceFS Doctor at least once per day to repair the disk but after some hours it was corrupt again. Even FFS was never that broken. It's a pity that we do not have a single file system that supports big files. Only file systems from other platforms. And they are all missing the typical Amiga features.

To jacadcaps: thank you for your lots of work! Wayfarer is really a good browser. If we only had faster CPUs I could do almost everything with it that I need.
  • »14.11.23 - 15:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I loaded a 18.2GB-file to a ICE2-partition without any problems (Wayfarer6.6 standart config). It was always possible to load such big files with Wayfarer (and OWB too) - it depends only on a suitable filesystem.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »14.11.23 - 15:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> According to https://library.morph.zone/Filesystems, this should be possible
    >> using (one of) the following filesystems: ext2/ext3, IceFS, ExFAT, NTFS-3G

> IceFS is the only "viable" option in that it will work [...].
    > The other options are either read only or you will need a
    > super secret password to gain access to a FS that doesn't exist.

All of the 3 other options do exist and are read+write (see MorphOS Library link above).

ext2/ext3: built-in (MOSSYS:L/)
    ExFAT: https://www.morphos-storage.net/?id=1533154
    NTFS-3G: https://www.morphos-storage.net/?id=1533155

> IceFS will get corrupted within a month usually and will require
    > a reformat since the tools are not very successful at recovery.
    > IceFS does not like high volumes of reading/writing.

These issues shouldn't matter for the purpose of downloading DVD ISO files and burning them directly afterwards.
  • »14.11.23 - 16:34
    connor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

These issues shouldn't matter for the purpose of downloading DVD ISO files and burning them directly afterwards.

DVD ISO are often exactly this: high volume (large file, 3GB, 4GB ...) and download is writing on your drive. IceFS often creates corruptions on both operations, sometimes when it reads and sometimes when it writes. It can take weeks or days for some people after you stored the files on the disk before error requesters are opened but for others it happens while they are writing the file to the drive.
  • »15.11.23 - 16:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> IceFS will get corrupted within a month usually [...].
    >>> IceFS does not like high volumes of reading/writing.

>> These issues shouldn't matter for the purpose of downloading
    >> DVD ISO files and burning them directly afterwards.

> DVD ISO are often exactly this: high volume (large file, 3GB, 4GB ...)

Seems I was set on the wrong track by the "within a month" statement. Thanks for clarification. So it comes to using ext2/ext3, ExFAT or NTFS-3G then, I guess.

> IceFS often creates corruptions [...] when it reads

Ouch, that's much worse than I thought it could be. If reading can corrupt the filesystem structure, then something is fundamentally wrong with the design.
  • »15.11.23 - 16:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    To be honest: I never saw ICEFS going corrupt during reading (and I use it often)!
    It can (and probably will) have problems when writing a lot of small files - this means some thousand files. And if it was that case, ICEDoctor could always fix it.
    But with a few (~100) huge files (what I do the most), I does'nt have such problems.

Nevertheless ICDFS need realy a update......
  • »15.11.23 - 19:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    A Dark Reader like on Firefox or Safari would be great. Less strain on the eyes.
  • »18.11.23 - 12:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @Tom01

Dark Mode setting is there since Wayfarer 2.0. Reader won't happen, though.
  • »18.11.23 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • man
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    man
    how configure wayfarer exactly to speed up connection
    (sock?)
  • »19.11.23 - 08:25
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Quote:

I never had any problems with IceFS like this. But I do use it only
    on one hd as backup drive (cause bigger files are possible there), so this
    is maybe not representative ?!

Does IceFS really cause so much trouble at all ? Would be interesting to know.
  • »19.11.23 - 10:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    If you use it as every-day FS, with many writing/deleting-actions, it does. Useing only big files with low writing-frequency it works. Therefore I use it only on one partition for big files (Video, etc.), which are not often written or deleted.
  • »19.11.23 - 14:17
  • man
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    man
    FInaly with withcleaner 3 totalclean can help i think when errors appears
    the sfs system too because when you use 1024 or best 2048 block the systems work better
    also after format install morphos and by moment defragment the system but not on ssd
  • »20.11.23 - 14:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: Will we ever, in the forseeable future, be able to use Wayfarer to download a file of about 4.3GB in size onto any MorphOS supported disk media? :-?
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:Do you have some specific repro steps for this? I am unaware of any issues with size limitations when downloading files in Wayfarer itself.
    Well I used to get downloads over certain sizes 'failing' remaining stalled/incomplete with earlier versions of Wayfarer, IIRC :-? but as they do now seem to complete correctly I realise this issue has been fixed or was a 'suspicion' due to them not downloading fully (though I cannot imagine that they didn't really fail as I re-tried in the past numerous historic downloads that this happened with a few times and got no further with completing them as full downloads).

Though maybe it was related to using a specific filesystem as the destination as to where the file was going to be saved to? :-?
    What is the maximum size a downloaded file can be with MorphOS, on each of these supported file systems - SFS, FAT-16/32 (O/L), HFS? :-?
    As I don't want to go starting a download only to find it won't complete on a filesystem that cannot cope with the filesize of the datafile. ;-)

I'm glad I asked the question, but realise now that downloads do all seem to work as they should, as you mentioned, and is something I probably needn't be concerned about, other than if it relates to a filesystem capability of not/accepting certain filesizes. 8-D
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: I ask as Jalapeno seems to have enough trouble in burning an ISO file of more than about 1.2GB to a DVD disk without employing a form of concatenation to create mini data packs that it 'glues' the data together as it records it onto one complete file on DVD media. ;-)
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:What problem is it you speak of? Splitting large files like this is used to be a standard practice, not just on MorphOS.
    I don't see concatenation as an issue with Jalapeno burning files larger than 1.2GB, but why can't it burn a file that is 4.3GB in size instead of needing to split it up into smaller files to 'glue' them back together into larger files?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.11.23 - 23:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What is the maximum size a downloaded file can be […] on each of
    > these supported file systems - SFS, FAT-16/32 (O/L), HFS? :-?

See link in comment #1404.
  • »21.11.23 - 00:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: What is the maximum size a downloaded file can be […] on each of these supported file systems - SFS, FAT-16/32 (O/L), HFS? :-?
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote: See link in comment #1404.
    Thanks for quoting the link again, and this time I actually read through the page your link relates to - Comment #1404 {link}, which for some reason I just didn't study the link's information fully, but even so it means that a full DVD, which is usually over 4GB cannot be stored on most of our supported filesystems.

That is, apart from ext2/ext3 (v0.48 updated in 2021) (from the Linux realm) which we have a filesystem for, but I cannot remember it being advertised as being useful, but it does seem to be capable of storing 16GB of data in one filesize . . . but how you get the data file over from a SFS or FAT filesystem, where usually you would activate Wayfarer from to download such a large file - as if the file is over 4GB then that could not be stored on a SFS or FAT filesystem to then be transferred to the EXT2 filesystem media? :-?

Or . . . would it be possible to launch Wayfarer from an EXT2 hard disk, or have the downloads directory on the EXT2 filesystem media and save the download on that filesystem for it to be used from there?
    Also . . . would it be possible to launch Jalapeno either from such a (EXT2) filesystem and/or get it to create a DVD that is as full as a DVD-R/W can be, even via concatenation by using the EXT2 filesystem?

The EXT2 filesystem also seems to be quite troublesome to setup on MorphOS, or has this been made simpler than downloading and working through the process with GiggleDisk by Guido 'geit' Mersmann?

Having said that, if you double-click on the GiggleDisk icon (either the MOSPPC icon or the AOS68k icon) then nothing seems to happen, and the ReadMe was authored 18 years ago, and seems quite scant in details as to how to use it correctly, such that I didn't manage to figure it out, well . . . not as yet!
  • »21.11.23 - 01:58