Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I’ve thought about sqlite and decided against it mostly due to increased memory footprint - the string caching Iris uses would not have worked.

As for releasing before 3.10 - that is unlikely to happen. Iris is written in ObjectiveC++ which would require extra hacks to work with 3.9 and has many other dependencies...

[ Edited by jacadcaps 29.12.2017 - 08:21 ]
  • »29.12.17 - 14:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Yes, I understend it perfectly, what I ment is, that you finished Ires befor we get new OS :)

BTW, you claimed, most of your programing work is done in MorphOS enviroment - Iris too?
  • »30.12.17 - 14:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

BTW, you claimed, most of your programing work is done in MorphOS enviroment - Iris too?

I'm doing almost everything on my PowerBooks these days. SDKs are done on a G5. All Odyssey related work I do on a Xeon box.
  • »30.12.17 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Incremental synchronization for IMAP is working now - meaning new message headers are automatically synced and the flags of old messages refreshed when visiting a folder. That also means Iris removes messages no longer present on the server.

I've had to do a little bit of refactoring here and there, which set me back a couple of evenings, but now I'm on track to implement sorting and filtering in the next couple of days.

A word about memory requirements: HTML viewing / editing will not work on Efika, that one is for sure.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 08.01.2018 - 07:16 ]
  • »08.01.18 - 13:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Spent a while longer on the refactoring than I've anticipated, but sorting by date/address/subject is now available in the latest internal beta. The last state is automatically saved for each folder, also including list column order if the emails are displayed as a list.

Next up: filtering and a threaded view. After that: single-window 3 column view.
  • »18.01.18 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    You're moving through your project for MorphOS at quite a pace, very encouraging, with a genuine thank you, as it seems really well deserved. ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »18.01.18 - 16:22
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

I'm doing almost everything on my PowerBooks these days. SDKs are done on a G5. All Odyssey related work I do on a Xeon box.

Sounds similar to what Mark mentioned in an email, that compiling Odyssey was done on an X64 platform to reduce compile times.
    Maybe if we had SMP support, continuing to use PPC platforms would be more viable. I'm unsure of this contention, as I am not sure that compilation leads itself to multi-threading.

In any case, looking forward to the new email client, as my primary portable system (my Lenovo X201 laptop) just died unexpectedly and I am currently using my iBook (with MorphOS) when away from home.

Which, BTW, makes an updated Odyssey critical to enhance the utility MorphOS provides me.
    Finally, how many of you use the OS for 'real' applications like I do (for example, reading work and school related email or accessing online content in my MBA classes)?

Addendum - Thanks for all your hard work Jacek.

[ Edited by Jim 18.01.2018 - 11:58 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »18.01.18 - 17:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Maybe if we had SMP support, continuing to use PPC platforms would be more viable. I'm unsure of this contention, as I am not sure that compilation leads itself to multi-threading.

make -jx

Where 'x' is number of cores/threads your CPU supports.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »18.01.18 - 18:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
  • »01.02.18 - 12:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    it's beautiful !!!!

Congratulations
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »01.02.18 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Wow!
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »02.02.18 - 09:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    Very nice! This is going to be great. Thank you again for your efforts.
  • »02.02.18 - 12:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I know you have a donate button somewhere Jacek, or maybe you have just provided an email address that we can use to send PayPal donations to, but is there a central donation location where users of MorphOS can send donations that would be split up between all of the team members working on creating MorphOS3.10?

I'll try to get a donation out to you in the near future, regardless of your response about donations for the team in general. Keep up the great work, and thank you.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.02.18 - 01:59
    eliot
    It looks really great, well done!
    regards
    eliot
  • »03.02.18 - 07:25
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    naTmeg
    >The email reader displays your spam/HTML emails out of the box.

Does IRIS support java-script or a subset if it?
    If so, please make an option to disable the automatic
    loading of external scripts. It would be security-issue.

A HTML-email can load images and stuff from 3rd party sites.
    There should also be an option to disable this behavior.

For anything other I've seen so far: very nice work!
  • »03.02.18 - 10:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    JS is disabled for email views. I know of no clients that let emails execute js, not to mention executing it from external files.

As for remote images, no plans to disable them right now. I am trying to keep the changes I do to OWB minimal...
  • »03.02.18 - 13:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    naTmeg
    OK, thanks for the clarification.
  • »03.02.18 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    So Iris needs OWB to run. Do you plan to change this when Iris gets more advanced? will Iris be an independent program one day?
  • »05.02.18 - 11:55
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    So Iris needs OWB to run. Do you plan to change this when Iris gets more advanced? will Iris be an independent program one day?

Iris does not run the regular OWB. It runs a separate slave app called OWBSlave, which renders the emails inside the Iris' window (as seen in the screengrabs). OWBSlave is part of the Iris install package, sits in the same folder, etc and ran from shell will not open any windows - it's OWB with 95% of its UI removed.

I've had all of this stuff linked together at one point, but there are several benefits of having the two separate:

a) they *are* separate :)
    b) OWBSlave is only ran when needed, making a low-memory system (Efika) fallback possible
    c) linking OWBSlave currently takes about 5 minutes on my Xeon... I would NOT want to do that on a PowerBook :)
    d) the actual Iris binary is only 6MB, not 60 ;)

[ Edited by jacadcaps 05.02.2018 - 07:56 ]
  • »05.02.18 - 13:55
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    Thanks for the explanation. So will the OWBSlave always be needed as a kind of "big fat library" or do you plan to include the functionality to Iris step by step and some day do not need OWBSlave anymore?
    OWBSlave opens as soon as you click a mail to read and open?
    Would the OWBSlave also work on Efikas as a standalone? There has not been a small OWB version for a long time.
  • »05.02.18 - 14:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    (..) do you plan to include the functionality to Iris step by step and some day do not need OWBSlave anymore?
    OWBSlave opens as soon as you click a mail to read and open?

No, I've made the choice to keep this as a separate executable. It makes development of Iris possible on a PowerBook so it's either that or no mailer at all.

Quote:

Would the OWBSlave also work on Efikas as a standalone? There has not been a small OWB version for a long time.

No. OWBSlave isn't significantly smaller than the regular OWB, the only big thing stripped is ffmpeg (video playback). The app also literally has no GUI - no tabs, menus, not even a single window.

The previously released "small" OWB builds mostly just excluded the huge SVG libraries. This, however, is no longer possible, since more recent WebKit requires these to be linked in.
  • »05.02.18 - 15:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Just a small teaser...

• »18.02.18 - 04:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    corn
    Wow it really looks amazing, very well done. I really like this development blog. It is fun and interessting to watch Iris progressing. Also using Objective-C++ as a language is very fascinating.
  • »18.02.18 - 14:28
    Kronos
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Just a small teaser...

I'd say your in serious need of a spam-filter ;)
  • »18.02.18 - 16:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

corn wrote:
    Also using Objective-C++ as a language is very fascinating.

I must have missed that post. Where did jaca say that?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »18.02.18 - 19:57