MorphOS 2.0 Appreciation Thread
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Charvel
    Thanks!!!!!!!!
    I will register when I have tried it out.
    I dont think the price is high. If you divide the money Morphteam is getting from this into every workhour spent making morphos 2.0 I belive it would be like coffe-money.

Thanks again!

//Peter
  • »02.07.08 - 06:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:

What grand illusion are some of you guys under that anyone could get rich on this at 111,11 or 150 Euro per copy? Even if it were 300 Euro a piece or 400 euro a piece they would not "get rich". They are looking to get some money for all the hard work. Which will be much less then the time they put into this. Be glad they bothered at all to make something that they will be taking a loss on, whether you buy a copy or not. They sacrified a lot of time, and they aren't forcing anyone to buy. The average user who can afford a Peg or an Efika after its outfitted with a case and graphics card likely can afford this software. And if they can't they can save up util they can and run older MOS on their Peg and Linux on their Efika in the meantime. Or just sell some old Amiga hardware you are not using to get the money. Get creative if you want it. This whining all over the internet on MOS 2.0 pricing is most disappointing. Comparing MOS 2.0 pricing to OSX pricing or Vista pricing is just silly. A shaker hood scoop for an old Mopar car can be $1500, just for a peice of plastic. Why? Because its such a small production run for a very small amount of people. Same thing here. Lets be glad they spent the time to make it, and that when they priced it they were willing to make it not crazy expensive. Yes its at a premium, but welcome to an already expensive hobby. Some people will not be able to afford it soon, but this is true of any hobby. We'd all have more hobbies if we could all afford them. Its not up to us to tell them how much of a charity they should be running on this.

What a great illusions all of europeans and americans have thinking that the month salary couldn't be less 2000eur or 2000$. That salary in MY TOWN is the same 150eur. Don't you remember that some pegs were given to developers for free? What 500eur? What are you speaking about?

Also AmiS told me just now: Don't you think that one waiting for release for 4 years, being in his mind, will spend 150 eur for system which next release might happen when he dies old?

Also: This price WILL shorten the developer and user base of MorphOS, especially when Debian Linux PPC BOX costs little more than 10eur.
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »02.07.08 - 07:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

What a great illusions all of europeans and americans have thinking that the month salary couldn't be less 2000eur or 2000$. That salary in MY TOWN is the same 150eur. Don't you remember that some pegs were given to developers for free? What 500eur? What are you speaking about?

I really think this is something VERY important to be looked at. MorphOS 2.0 is expensive, and with reasons. I'm delaying my registration too, and that's the only thing that worries me, because I'd like to see the MorphOS team rewarded as soon as possible.

We need to start something for:

1.- Discounts for multiple computers.
    2.- Subsidize people with low income.

Perhaps this could be a good attaching point for Genesi to shine.
    Or perhaps I should stop thinking about some company saving my ass (the "Amiga way"), and think about doing it ourselves. But how?

What the heck, Genesi were giving away full computers in the past. I doubt MorphOS has the same development and manufacturing costs as a Pegasos.
    Oh, wait, those were the days of big bucks (pun intended), and those goods were manufactured by themselves, MorphOS ain't...
  • »02.07.08 - 08:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    Morphos Team developers had done a great work and deservs every penny.
    I cant understand why people complain and compare Morphos with vista or mac os?????
    I register this masterpiece of work because its perfect comparing to vista and other.
    I dont want to strugle with vista or wait 2 more weeks to have the explorer opened and so on.
    You cant compare this with companies that earns billions of dollars for selling crap.
  • »02.07.08 - 20:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    I just bought my copy.
    I would like to say, hurry amd get your copy before 15 July, when price is 150 euro.
    Here is my reason for buying my copy: "Support" + "Morphos Rox"

Proud owner of: Pegasos2, Amiga 500,600,1200,3000,4000,CDTV,CD32!
    Long live MorphOS!

X
  • »02.07.08 - 21:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I will be ordering it, as soon as I can get it to work with my voodoo 3500 tv agp.

I think they deserve the money. As said earlier compared with the volume they will be selling, this is really a labor of love not a get rich scheme...

If you value the product you will buy the product. Even if it requires some sacrifice.

Great Job MOS Team, you rock and perhaps roll aswell... :-)

Matt
  • »02.07.08 - 22:35
    warface
    Just sent payment. Hopefully the keyfile will arrive soon :)
  • »02.07.08 - 22:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Thats the problem. Its been so long wait most of us grew old, have 80000 euros of loan, a wife, a dog plus three cats and two kids running around the house now ;-)

by selling one of the 2 kids you'd get enough to pay the load and get a MOS licence.
    or you can sell the wife and keep the kid for MOS 3.0.

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2008/7/2 22:53 ]
  • »02.07.08 - 22:52
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    @QMaster

Quote:

QMaster wrote:

What a great illusions all of europeans and americans have thinking that the month salary couldn't be less 2000eur or 2000$. That salary in MY TOWN is the same 150eur. Don't you remember that some pegs were given to developers for free?

I'm under no illusions as to the varied salaries of people around the world. I was addressing the complaints being made that they were doing this to get rich. With the amount of potential users out there there is no way to get rich off of this OS, period.

Quote:

That salary in MY TOWN is the same 150eur.

Someone making 150eur per month probably can not afford the hardware needed for the OS in the first place.

Quote:

Don't you remember that some pegs were given to developers for free?

I wasn't around then. But if they are developers who need an upgrade in order to develop maybe they can contact the MOS team and/or Genesi to try to make a seperate arrangement.

Quote:

Also: This price WILL shorten the developer and user base of MorphOS, especially when Debian Linux PPC BOX costs little more than 10eur.

I don't disagree with you in the slightest there. It certainly will. But its their OS, and their choice. And in their defense, as I believe others have mentioned, you need only look at ebay to see the crazy amount of money Amigans keep spending over and over again on ancient pieces of old Amiga hardware. Amiga is an expensive hobby, unfortunately.
  • »02.07.08 - 23:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Quote:

That salary in MY TOWN is the same 150eur.

Someone making 150eur per month probably can not afford the hardware needed for the OS in the first place.

I have to say that is not maybe fair. Many users took an advantage when Genesi was offering free Pegasos and there are many who could not afford Pegasos at time and maybe couldnt now either.

When I got my first Peg1 (just motherboard) I almost went to bankcruptcy by bying case, hd and other needed stuff.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »03.07.08 - 01:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    I thought This was an Appreciation Thread??

... I understand that some people will be set back
    by the price to upgrade to Morphos 2.0... some of us
    Don't have alot of spare Euro's. Well neither did I, but
    I began saving after the April 1st announcement... even
    Though I didn't think we'd see it in time I planned anyways!
    I only saved up about $100US but it was more then half of the
    $179 I paid to Register and get my Keyfile... Which is active
    as I right this. I felt that registering is the best way to show
    my support!!
  • »03.07.08 - 04:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    Dancing Mazingas to Mos-team for this long awaited release! I'm looking forward to see Mos 2 in action @ the next Amiga party which will be held near Rovigo, in Italy.
    Hey guruman, don't forget your Peg at home next weekend! :-)
    Unfortunately I've sold my Peg more than a year ago but now, I've got an Ibook G4.
    So Morphos-team now (or in two more weeks) release this baby for macppc and I'll do my paypal payment in half than a second.

Hola
    -------------------
  • »03.07.08 - 14:05
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    1.- Discounts for multiple computers.
    2.- Subsidize people with low income.

Discounts for multiple computers would be a very cool thing to do I think, it rewards loyalty. I won't be able to afford MOS for my Efika just yet having paid for it for my Peg already. And I'd be hesitant when I can afford it for my Efika to have to pay an additional 150 Euro for that box when I only had to pay 111,11 Euro a few months earlier for my Peg.

So I think thats a good idea for them to consider.

As far as subsidizing people with low incomes, if a person can save up to get an Efika and its custom case, 2.5 inch hard drive, and video card that is a MOS supported card how can anyone here say that MOS pricing is out of reach for them? Will it take those people more time? Sure. But its not like this is a OS that supports a ton of I386 hardware where the users in question may have gotten their equipment very cheaply.
  • »03.07.08 - 14:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I am very glad to see 2.0 here at last. The MOS team has done a great things for all of us. The sad things is this price for what you get. If I got a box, a printed CD and install manual then maybe I wouldnt feel so cheated. To get MOS 2.0 here is what it "requires" for me.

My Computer to download it. I have a Mac, yeah its a lot of money but still. I will use the average computer price here: $500+

An internet connection. Only option other then dial up here is $52 a month

Blank CD $1

Printer and ink $120

Sharpie marker $1.49

MOS when I will be able to get it $250 after conversion

Grand total - $924.49

This may sound harsh, and you could get rid of all but the cost of the MOS key if you went to a friends to get the file, but still.

I think for the price you should at least get the option to get a box, disk and simple manual. It would cost the team next to nothing for this.

[ Edited by Acill on 2008/7/3 6:27 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »03.07.08 - 15:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @Acill

So... if $674.49 is next to nothing, it doesn't seem like much of a problem.
  • »03.07.08 - 15:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    I think the idea I suggested on the mailing list is better...

Printable or regular CD $1 to $2
    CD Jewel or DVD box $0.50 to $1

Download printable from MOSteam (when available)...see Andre email on mailing list

Total cost to you...$3.50 at most including ink and paper..but more importantly no mailing cost and taxes to MOSteam...which is gold considering they can't expect to sell more than a few 100 copies.

Yes I know this requires access to or owning an inkjet at least..but puh-lease

If they can work out a multi-system discount then you should be able to get two licenses cheaper overall (please refer to Ralphs post on the mailing list...it hints that something might be worked out)

I agree $250 is insane..but only a certain governments fiscal policy and warmongering might be blamed for the toilet paper currency ;)

Maybe you could get a military discount? :D

Me..I'm mad, considering buying an Efika *and* MorphOS2.0 even though it's apparently buggy as hell on the platform :-/

[ Edited by JKD on 2008/7/3 7:46 ]

[ Edited by JKD on 2008/7/3 7:55 ]
  • »03.07.08 - 16:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well I cant help where I live, and the cost at $250 for a disk I have to burn myself is just insane. Not to mention if I want to put it on my Efika and my Peg 2 we are talking more then I paid for BOTH boards together to get the OS for them is even more insane. I hate to say it, but I think my boards will be listed for sale here soon. Once I get a chance to try out the new OS I may keep one of them, but I am still having a hard time with this price, and the fact I have to use paypal makes the choice even more difficult.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »03.07.08 - 16:55
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    I'm ordering MOS 2 as soon as I get home.

I had to dump the 3500tv agp (doesn't work with 2.0) and pickup a 9100, I guess I will have to suffer with better quake 2 framerates :).

Once again excellent job, so far it looks great!

Matt
  • »03.07.08 - 17:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    I have to agree with acill on this one. $250 a machine is just too steep for me. I really want to continue supporting MorphOS and get the new OS but it doesn't make me happy to pay so much. I had $120 set aside for this but now I need to re-consider.
  • »03.07.08 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    I am very glad to see 2.0 here at last. The MOS team has done a great things for all of us. The sad things is this price for what you get. If I got a box, a printed CD and install manual then maybe I wouldnt feel so cheated. To get MOS 2.0 here is what it "requires" for me.

My Computer to download it. I have a Mac, yeah its a lot of money but still. I will use the average computer price here: $500+

An internet connection. Only option other then dial up here is $52 a month

Blank CD $1

Printer and ink $120

Sharpie marker $1.49

MOS when I will be able to get it $250 after conversion

Grand total - $924.49

This may sound harsh, and you could get rid of all but the cost of the MOS key if you went to a friends to get the file, but still.

I think for the price you should at least get the option to get a box, disk and simple manual. It would cost the team next to nothing for this.

[ Edited by Acill on 2008/7/3 6:27 ]

The only way you could calculate a cost this way would be if the MOS download came with a built in Mac virus to purposely blow up your machine. And if it had a hypnotic screensaver after install to compel you to take hedge clippers to your ISP modem and wiring with a follow-up hammer smash session to your printer. ;-)

And to set the record straight the conversion as of the other day from 111,11 Euro was $179US. I know because I bought it.

So $179 for the software.
    $1 for the CDR.
    Less than $1 if you write what it is in marker on it in used ink.
    Less than $1 "wear and tear" on your machine and electricity to download it.
    Possibly more than $1 in ink and printer wear and tear but not by much.

Grand total:
    Less than $183 dollars US.

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2008/7/3 13:18 ]
  • »03.07.08 - 19:11
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Quote:

realstar wrote:
    I have to agree with acill on this one. $250 a machine is just too steep for me. I really want to continue supporting MorphOS and get the new OS but it doesn't make me happy to pay so much. I had $120 set aside for this but now I need to re-consider.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=111.11&from=EUR&to=CAD&submit=Convert

$177.68 Canadian, not $250. :)
  • »03.07.08 - 19:15
  • ASiegel
    @ Acill

Quote:

Well I cant help where I live, and the cost at $250 for a disk I have to burn myself is just insane.

I could easily list many more, but here is just one example off the top of my head...

SwishMax (link) costs 150 USD, yet includes no box, CD or other physical items. You receive a serial number only. Mind you, the development company claims to have had 250,000 customers so we are not talking about a team of developers who just try to get funding in place for future test hardware, file hosting, etc. This is a successful for-profit operation. Considering that all products of this company are sold via download only, there are probably 250,000 people who feel the lack of a box is not an issue...

Quote:

Not to mention if I want to put it on my Efika and my Peg 2 we are talking more then I paid for BOTH boards together to get the OS for them is even more insane.

You were quite lucky then. Many people paid a full 500 EUR for their Pegasos II mainboards. Apparently, some bought even several mainboards at full price...
  • »03.07.08 - 21:19
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Another example in this vein off the top of my head as well...

Xandros Professional Linux Desktop OS, download only. $100 to $150

http://shop.xandros.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_41&products_id=303

http://shop.xandros.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_41&products_id=387

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2008/7/3 15:38 ]

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2008/7/3 15:40 ]

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2008/7/3 15:40 ]
  • »03.07.08 - 21:37
    hooligan
    The price is what it is, and it wont change. So whats the point in arguing? Either register, or don't, simple as that.

I also think the team made a serious mistake by putting the pricetag so high, 50-100 euros would most probably cause more people to buy Efikas and register, not to mention about Pegasos-owners, but what is done is done so lets live with it. Its not like the end of world, lots of other OS's to try out, some for free.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »03.07.08 - 21:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
    Quote:

realstar wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=111.11&from=EUR&to=CAD&submit=Convert

$177.68 Canadian, not $250. :)

Well, I meant once it goes up to 150 Euros. Comes out to $239.89 CDN. So for my 2 machines $355.36 with the discount or $479.78 full price. Regardless of my complaints with the cost, I really do appreciate the effort put into MorphOS 2.0 and I may end up registering at least 1 copy. Even though it pains me to do so. ;)

[ Edited by realstar on 2008/7/3 14:34 ]
  • »03.07.08 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website