2.0? Ain't Buying it...
Topic is Locked
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Acill

Not long ago you were willing to donate $$ to help save MOS development, now you wont spend $150? Comon man, think of all the work they put in when morph 1.3 and 1.4 were FREE... I mean what are you going to spend the $150 on xbox stuff? :P

Now is a good time for the community feels like it was back in the day, there can be a new life for Morhpos... but guys like you and me have to stay around..

magnetic

Yes your right, I was willing to do that back then. The price they want now is way to high, I am sorry if I come off and sound cheap here, but I do not think the price plan and hardware lock is fair for what we as the users have put up with all these years waiting for them to get the act together. Its like a slap in the face to me. I refuse to pay close to $500 to get 2.0 on my two machines.

[ Edited by Acill on 2008/7/6 17:15 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »07.07.08 - 02:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Acill

I understand your sentiment. I agree that multi license is a problem. If you are on the mos ml still you see talk of this and they know its a problem too, but apparently its a secutiry situation to aviod piracy of Morphos2. I understand that. PM me.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.07.08 - 02:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    magnetic:

Why would I be a troll? Because my viewpoint (and quite a few others) doesnt agree with yours? Or because I thought $250 was an all right price until I thought of the months of no response, no info as to whats going on and no info about the future of the operating system?

Me, AW.net troll? (please, more jokes, that was a good one) Yeah, you know which site I frequent and am a moderator on and it isnt AW.

If there is tremendous support for MOS better than (whatever other spiel you threw out there), how come a moderator like Hooligan is not even willing to fork over the $? And he's a moderator on MZ of all places.

Whats up w/a "mailing list" ? This is 2008, shouldnt there be some sort of "internet presence" where users can "discuss" their issues with this new operating system with developers. Oh yea, I forgot, mz.org is the place. (heavy on the sarcasm). Where is this list to where anyone can subscribe to or publicly view the posts ? This forum should be booming with feedback and responses.

I'll run SuSE on my EFIKA w/a lightweight WM and give it to my son. I hope MOS 2.x is as good as all the hype.. I'll be installing it in a few days.

Till then you can keep riding MOS Developers sack.

(whew, isnt that a harsh post from me. lol)

EDIT:
    found the ml info.. lets see whats goin in in regards to bug fixes (and the sound update).

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2008/7/6 21:12 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 03:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Wow, I guess I wasn't the only one who coughed a bit about the price. I'll still buy it however. Maybe if you have multiple machines, they could sell you all three (in my case) licenses for the 111 Euro price each, even after the 15th, as a way of saying thank you? Just a thought.

I pretty much destroyed my life for several years 'supporting' Amiga, Incorporated. I think I could cough up six hundred US dollars for their competitor, the one who's actually made stuff that works and I can buy.

Anyway, having run 2.0 some I can say.. Wow! I can surf modern web pages and they work except for flash, but at least they render properly :-) This OS release looks very promising, and the open support from the ML (and if I can get on it, then I presume anyone can..) is a big breath of fresh air.

The price of entry is high, but once in, people seem to be HYPED-and that hasn't happened in this community for years :-D

Good work, MorphOS guys. Making 'better late than never' a very true expression.
  • »07.07.08 - 05:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    MagicM

You must be a real donkey. I reply to you in a PM and tell you that the OFFICIAL MORPHOS MAILING LIST has PLENTY of Support from the Morphos Developers. They seem very committed to supporting it. More THAN EVER since its a commercial product now. Once you register your product you get info on how to join the ML there you have all the help you can want. Or gon on the IRC channel on Freenode. I told you all this privately and you said "You wanted to be a new user, i'm on your team " or whatever it silliness..

If it wasnt for people the Morphos team there would be no "Amiga like" modern operating system. They also happen to be some of the best developers in the Amiga community. If you know who these people are and the miracles they pefrormed for the community you wouldnt talk sh*T.

So I guess "i'm riding their sack" whatever the fck that means. Yes i'm in support of MorphOS developers. And $111 euro (Just over $100 for euros) is quite reasonable.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.07.08 - 10:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @magnetic:

Quote:

So I guess "i'm riding their sack" whatever the fck that means. Yes i'm in support of MorphOS developers. And $111 euro (Just over $100 for euros) is quite reasonable.

Not for me and others. I find it expensive for a toy computer like Efika. And some features like sound still can't be used but the money you pay it can be used without problems.

A much more reasonable price would have been 50Euros for Efika and 75Euros for Pegasos. You can bet even Linux users would have bought the full version.

[ Edited by Crumb on 2008/7/7 11:20 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 11:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Whats up w/a "mailing list" ? This is 2008, shouldnt
    > there be some sort of "internet presence" where
    > users can "discuss" their issues with this new
    > operating system with developers. Oh yea, I forgot,
    > mz.org is the place. (heavy on the sarcasm). Where
    > is this list to where anyone can subscribe to or
    > publicly view the posts ? This forum should be
    > booming with feedback and responses.

Hard to believe that someone being a MorphZone member for 5 years doesn't know the even older official MorphOS mailing list. And what has "2008" to do with a mailing list at all? Have emails been abandoned while I just didn't look? The internet presence is there to present the operating system, not to discuss it.
  • »07.07.08 - 12:24
    Golem
    @TheMagicM

There has been plenty of info (if you know where to look :)).

Quote:

If there is tremendous support for MOS better than (whatever other spiel you threw out there), how come a moderator like Hooligan is not even willing to fork over the $?

He already explained that, it's not about support (which has always been excellent in my experience).

Direct support is best obtained through irc (#morphos on freenode) or the mailing list. If you can remain calm and communicate with the developers about whichever issues you might encounter with MorphOS, chances are good that they will help provide a solution.
  • »07.07.08 - 13:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @andreas & golem:

we'll see what happens. My main gripe is what do I get for $250 (not operating system wise, I'm sure its great). I'm talking about what is the roadmap to this operating system? What, if any, are the future plans? How much are upgrades? Are bug fixes free?

@magnetic:
    Quote:

I told you all this privately and you said "You wanted to be a new user, i'm on your team " or whatever it silliness..

I have never talked to you in PM, email or IRC you f'n idiot. Me a new user? I've used MOS since 1.4.x on a Peg so I wouldnt be considered a new user. Sorry man, but I dont "pay for miracles" nor do I throw money away without knowing what I'm going to get out of it. BTW, you dont know how to use PM since I never recieved any from you (not that I want any PM from you anyway).
  • »07.07.08 - 14:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    My MorphOS experience ends here.

I can't afford it either 111 euro or 150 euro.

It passed too much time and my budget suffered the inflaction.

Sorry guys. Too much cost and too late.

I had preferred lesser features and lesser price, so I could had afforded it.

Or better I could had afforded it, if it had costed 59 0r 69 euros, and EVEN IF i had spended these money twice in a year (after 6 months) on any upgrade.

Do you want an honest comment?

You exaggerated.

You right, Raf. 111 or 150 is too much for a OS which can't get at the moment a fuul navigation to the web, I mean, that's the price of MACOSX a just experienced OS. I think it could be more correct ask a very low price for a so poor applications carnet OS though it could be a fantastic OS because we get no more chance to check it with so few software. I get in my Peggy linux too for free and which I can do anything.
    I'm thinking to make your same decision...
  • »07.07.08 - 14:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    TheMagicM,

About updates & bugfixes, 2.x updates should be free. And a first update is planned to correct most important issues detected by users.

About support, irc is indeed the most reactive support, since you can contact directly most developers. ML is also a good way. And you can also reports bugs with the bugreport tool integrated in MorphOS. And no, they aren't redirected to /dev/null, unless they just state "x doesn't work". :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2008/7/7 13:25 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 14:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    "Too much and too late"

Too much maybe is ok with some people, but too late? We will gonna have the End of the World or what?
  • »07.07.08 - 14:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @Fab:

Quote:

TheMagicM,

About updates & bugfixes, 2.x updates should be free. And a first update is planned to correct most important issues detected by users.

About support, irc is indeed the most reactive support, since you can contact directly most developers. ML is also a good way. And you can also reports bugs with the bugreport tool integrated in MorphOS. And no, they aren't redirected to /dev/null, unless they just state "x doesn't work". :)

hmm. ok, fair enough. thank you for taking the time to reply. makes me feel better about spending $ on MOS.

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2008/7/7 8:18 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 15:18
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    @Fab

any chances of getting ARexx PPC and Installer in the future?

ATM is pitiful that after spending a lot of money the user has to buy OS3.x to get ARexx working
  • »07.07.08 - 15:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Charvel
    But..........
    If you dont have money right now, just use the timelimited demo and save some money.
    Pay for it when you can.
    My pegasos boots very fast and its no problem rebooting when the 30 miniutes comes close.
    I will pay, but later :)
  • »07.07.08 - 15:54
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    @all

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote
    This is what confuses me. If most of you longtime users were able to afford a multi-hundred Euro Peg years ago, why is it so oppresive to pay 111,11 Euro now for the latest version of MOS? I'm asking seriously because I feel as if I must be missing something here.

I paid $500US for my used Peg2 late last year. A $179 OS for a $500 machine does not seem too far off.

hooligan responds via an edit of this post:

Lets see:

- loan for apartment
    - loan for car
    - car-insurance
    - rent
    - parkinglot
    - sauna
    - phonebill x 2
    - food
    - electricity/water
    - internet
    - tv-permit
    - gasoline
    - clothes
    - medical bills (i had a severe accident a few weeks ago)

on top of that last month had also extra expenses like a new passport for wife (which required two trips to russia to get) and the mandatory yearly carinspection.

I might have forgotten something, but I think you get the drift. When I bought my Pegasos I didnt have a car nor my own apartment.

[ Edited by hooligan on 2008/7/7 20:55 ]

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2008/7/7 14:57 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 18:07
  • Just looking around
    kgrach
    I take it that us Americans don't have to pay Vat so our cost would be 93.5 Euro so that comes to $146 American not unreasonable for an OS. $250 would be outrageous.

Question will there be a version for the Classic Amigas. I got An A1200 I set up to dual boot OS4/MorphOS and I would rather drag just one machine to the local user groups. Plus people would like to see both side by side on the same machine.

Kgrach
  • »07.07.08 - 19:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Quote:

kgrach wrote:
    I take it that us Americans don't have to pay Vat so our cost would be 93.5 Euro so that comes to $146 American not unreasonable for an OS. $250 would be outrageous.

I hate to break it to you but they decided to charge VAT to everyone everywhere. Yes this came directly from them when I inquired. So it came to $179 since its 111,11 Euro at the moment. I shared that I personally think this will hurt sales, especially of 2nd licenses. But they seem to feel that they don't have a good means to deal with the accounting of seperate pricing and the required paperwork with whoever those taxes go to.

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2008/7/7 15:01 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 20:34
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    @hooligan

Quote:

hooligan wrote (in an editing of my post where he put what I said in quotes and his response in the body of my post):

Lets see:

- loan for apartment
    - loan for car
    - car-insurance
    - rent
    - parkinglot
    - sauna
    - phonebill x 2
    - food
    - electricity/water
    - internet
    - tv-permit
    - gasoline
    - clothes
    - medical bills (i had a severe accident a few weeks ago)

on top of that last month had also extra expenses like a new passport for wife (which required two trips to russia to get) and the mandatory yearly carinspection.

I might have forgotten something, but I think you get the drift. When I bought my Pegasos I didnt have a car nor my own apartment.

[ Edited by hooligan on 2008/7/7 20:55 ]

Sorry to hear about your accident and thanks for sharing why this is personally a burden for you. I hope you get better very soon.

I just want to make it clear I was talking in general. All MOS users need the required non-mainstream, not cheap hardware to even participate in this. Either a Pegasos, not cheap in the first place or even used. Or an Efika, not cheap considering custom case and power supply costs, and the fact that it probably does not serve well as the only computer in a household given that most desktop operating systems can't do much with 128MB of RAM.

In that context we are talking about a group of people who were not afraid to spend some serious money on some very small production run custom hardware.

This is why this push back on a 111,11 Euro price is confusing me. Sure any part of any given group of people can see finances become more tight over the years. But the amount of people seeming to feel like its expensive given what they knew going into the hardware in the first place seems a bit surprising to me is all.

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2008/7/7 15:04 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 20:56
    hooligan
    have i pressed edit instead of reply? At least It seems so.. sorry. Maybe it really is time to stop moderating.. im starting to f*ck up things :-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »07.07.08 - 21:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Quote:

I wasn't directing myself against you personally, of course there will always be some people who happen to be in a tight spot at any given moment.

In fact, for this very reason, I think the MOS team should reconsider raising the price to 150 EUR. That'd give people a chance to wait for a while until a month without accidents or unexpected travels. :-)

But I won't whine about that until that date has passed, because I'm sure they want as many people as possible to register right away.
  • »07.07.08 - 22:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    I'm also not going to buy MorphOS 2.0. Would it have been released a year ago I could afford it but right now it's just to much for me. I might stick around with 1.45 or even decide to sell my Pegasos 2.

Besides being unable to buy it right now I find it just to expensive compared to what other OS'es have to offer. I've been using Linux as my main OS for over a decade now and MorphOS has nothing to offer compared to Linux to justify it's price. This may sound harsh but it's reality, MorphOS is just a hobby OS for me.

Don't get me wrong MorphOS 2.0 is a great release and you can see the team has put great effort in it. It's just to late and to expensive.
  • »07.07.08 - 23:21
    ausPPC
    Just a thought but if anyone is selling up, do it soon so that your buyer has the option to get MorphOS 2 at it's current price. Better yet, pay for the 111.11 Euro registration and just factor the cost into whatever you sell your system for. Either way, you'll be saving your buyer almost 40 Euros.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »08.07.08 - 00:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Arkanoid
    I'd pay whatever I could afford, when I can afford it for MOS2.0. I'm very happy it's been released. A, say, $70 price tag would have meant I could afford it now.

With all this inflation and the current global recession (yes, folks, the world IS actually going through a mild recession!) the asking price is too much atm.

As soon as circumstances change, for me personally, I will purchase.
    Amiga A1200/Blizzard 060/SCSI-Kit/OS 3.9
    Pegasos II/G4/512 MB RAM/Radeon 7500/MorphOS
  • »08.07.08 - 00:58
  • Just looking around
    kgrach
    Damm stupid

They are not required to charge or supposed to charge VAT on ANY overseas order. It is also stupid way to waste money on a guaranteed audit once I request my TAX money back from what ever country they are supposed to be collecting it for.

Why make us waste our time filling out forms to get back our money. That reminds me I will now require a receipt of my purchase so I can get my VAT back.

GRRR didn't mind paying 150 bucks but making me pay a tax I am not required to pay is insulting. I get slaughtered by the taxman as it is.

Kgrach
  • »08.07.08 - 05:14
    Profile Visit Website
Topic is Locked