FireFox
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Why the *beep!* should it be called AMIfox or AMIzilla (some goes for MORPHfox or MORPHzilla)? Is the version for Windows called Winfox or the MacOS X version Macfox? No - the programm is called Firefox and Mozilla. Why not keep it simple and stay with those names?

AGREE
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »11.11.04 - 01:53
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ikir
    Quote:

Why not keep it simple and stay with those names?

I agree. I hope AMIzilla is only a temporary name, or website name. The program itself must be called FireFox (or Mozilla) :-)

Minimo? It is a work in progress... FireFox is the choice imho.
    ikir @ www.iksnet.it
  • »11.11.04 - 11:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Who worries about the name? Worry about the name is the most dumb thing ever! THe important is have Firefox (and not FireFox) running or gecko engine using on some very good browser with plenty of things, Firefox is very interesting due to the extensions system.

Idiotism removed

[ Edited by hooligan on 2004/11/27 12:43 ]
  • »11.11.04 - 12:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    Quote:

timofonic wrote:
    Who worries about the name? Worry about the name is the most dumb thing ever! .....

ikir, what are you doing on a MorphOS website? Do you have a Pegasos? It seems that you are pro-OS4 and not interested about MorphOS, right?

Listen to yourself! :) A name is not so important - everyone is welcome here - there's lots of great information here to be had by all. :) :-D
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »11.11.04 - 21:03
    @DSLCC

I was joking, didn't understand? ;-)
  • »11.11.04 - 21:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ timofonic

Having a Pegasos is not a requirement to be here, and some developments in the MorphOS scene should interest pro-OS4 people too. The development of a descent Amiga/MorphOS compatible browser is certainly one such thing. Everyone with a polite enough behaviour (the tolerance level is is admirably high) is very welcome here AFAIK, and who knows, maybe Ikir is a future potential Pegasos owner? :-o ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.11.04 - 21:31
    @takemehomegrandma

Ahhhrggg!!! How many times I must say it? I was joking!!!!!!! Did you understand? Analize that I said please! ;-)
  • »11.11.04 - 21:45
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    RockmanX
    My dull Windoze experience changed A LOT since I got Firefox... Same for BeOS. I really think it's the best Browser ever made, but I don't know Safari... (what's so special about it?)

Believe me: with a port of Firefox, MorphOS would make a big step towards present standards.
  • »25.11.04 - 22:08
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

RockmanX wrote:

Believe me: with a port of Firefox, MorphOS would make a big step towards present standards.

We definately all agree..

But.. thunderbird , the email client, has issues with reliability. I lost quite a lot of important emails after rebooting my system.. this is NOT acceptable. Outlook express never did this. I've tried Eudora, but its user interface is nowhere near as usable or 'friendly' as Thunderbird.

[ Edited by Darth_X on 2004/11/25 17:17 ]
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »26.11.04 - 01:07
    hooligan
    Quote:

I've tried Eudora, but its user interface is nowhere near as usable or 'friendly' as Thunderbird.

Booooollooxx.. you just don't know how ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »26.11.04 - 05:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    hnl_dk
    Quote:

DSLCC wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Why the *beep!* should it be called AMIfox or AMIzilla

I agree. Call it what it is FireFox, Mozilla ... lately putting Ami in front of anything is not exactly a positive step. :) :-o

Remember Firefox is not the complete name... it is Mozilla Firefox... And I guess with "Mozilla" you are thinking of Mozilla Suite.

And yes, I also think that AmiZilla should only be a work in progress name (hope that the AmiZilla is going to get integrated into the official cvs) :-o
    Best regards,
    hnl_dk - Henning Nielsen Lund
  • »26.11.04 - 07:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

hnl_dk wrote:
    hope that the AmiZilla is going to get integrated into the official cvs :-o

Well, up to now, this seems possible. There are not too many changes to the core sources, mainly new files in amiga directories, which should not harm the other systems.

But Mozilla is moving fast and we are based on the 1.7 sources (so is firefox 1.0), but the new 1.8 (I am using 1.8a5 at the moment to type this) will get huge changes to the core files, so merging our stuff to the main tree would require us to go to at least 1.8. If there is no 1.9 until we are at that point ;).
  • »26.11.04 - 08:06
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    hnl_dk
    Quote:

o1i wrote:

hnl_dk wrote:
    hope that the AmiZilla is going to get integrated into the official cvs :-o

Well, up to now, this seems possible. There are not too many changes to the core sources, mainly new files in amiga directories, which should not harm the other systems.

But Mozilla is moving fast and we are based on the 1.7 sources (so is firefox 1.0), but the new 1.8 (I am using 1.8a5 at the moment to type this) will get huge changes to the core files, so merging our stuff to the main tree would require us to go to at least 1.8. If there is no 1.9 until we are at that point ;).

ok, hope the AmiZilla project will be able to be merged into the official cvs some time :-D
    Should make it more easy to have an up to date Mozilla suite/Firefox for AmigaOS 8-)
    Best regards,
  • »26.11.04 - 08:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    I agree Amizilla must be a temporary name, but now the important think that Mozilla is beginning to be true also on Amiga platform

Thanks guys :hammer:

[ Edited by samo79 on 2004/11/26 14:27 ]
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture
  • »26.11.04 - 14:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ikir
    Quote:

OT: ikir, what are you doing on a MorphOS website? Do you have a Pegasos? It seems that you are pro-OS4 and not interested about MorphOS, right?

1-Do you have an A1 to post crap on Aw.net?
    2-I run www.iksnet.it the biggest italian alternative computing webstie, covering also MOS. We have also the biggest italian MOS forum.
    3-I'm registered here from a while....
    4-I'm interested in MOS and PEG since the beginning.

Thanks for your "welcome".

@Thread
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8483&forum=14
    AMIZILLA'S FIRST WORD :-P
    Very exiting :-)

[ Edited by ikir on 2004/11/26 20:43 ]
    ikir @ www.iksnet.it
  • »26.11.04 - 18:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    RockmanX
    @ikir

Lascia stare... E' un po' come la politica: se uno dice una cosa è come se si stesse schierando all'estremo di un allineamento...
    Forse è anche per questo che l'alternative computing non funziona! Se si bisticcia tra OS4 e MorphOS, figurati che grande concorrenza si fa!
    A parte questo, il tuo sito è grande! Non lo conoscevo... Complimenti.
    Mi farò vivo da quelle parti :-D

Sorry: here's the translation...
    Don't listen to him... The whole thing's a bit like politics: if one says something, the mass aligns him to an extreme position...
    Maybe that's why alternative computing doesn't work! If OS4 and MorphOS fight each other, just try to figure how (poorly) competitive we are!
    A part from this, your website is great! I didn't know of it... Congrats.
    You will see me around there :-D

[ Edited by RockmanX on 2004/11/27 19:13 ]

[ Edited by FALCON1 on 2004/11/28 9:50 ]
  • »26.11.04 - 21:48
  • Just looking around
    Hi everyone, my second post :-)

Having no programming experience with Amiga C, I wonder how hard would be a GTK+ wrapper around MUI? Or how hard would be a direct GTK+ port from Linux?
  • »26.11.04 - 23:46
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    Ciao RockmanX purtoppo hai ragione capita anche questo, comunque ho visto che ti sei registrato anche da noi, spero che ti troverai bene :-)

It's an ENGLISH thread, please edit and translate

[ Edited by FALCON1 on 2004/11/27 11:08 ]
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture
  • »27.11.04 - 00:04
    Profile Visit Website
    @Dante

GTK* sucks, better use native MUI.
  • »27.11.04 - 03:56
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ikir
    @RockmanX
    Grazie/Thanks. Now the website is a bit slow because we switched to the old 512kbit line, the 2mbit line doens't work from 5 days :-(
    Our server is an AmigaOne.

Complimenti per l'Avatar (mitico Megaman)
    Ah! Stiamo cercando un newser MOS se ti può interessare. o solamente qualcuno che ci segnali le importanti uscite software per MOS:

It's an ENGLISH thread, please edit and translate
    [ Edited by ikir on 2004/11/27 10:54 ]

[ Edited by FALCON1 on 2004/11/27 11:09 ]
    ikir @ www.iksnet.it
  • »27.11.04 - 09:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Lanza
    I do not know where does this legend come from but mozilla is *NOT* GTK based. It has a GUI abstraction layer, and a lot of ports already exist.

The current Amizilla project only ported the low-level layer (NSPR), which deals with I/O, mermory management, networking and multitasking. The GUI is not the hard part.

[ Edited by Lanza on 2004/11/27 13:44 ]
  • »27.11.04 - 13:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    hnl_dk
    Quote:

Lanza wrote:
    I do not know where does this legend come from but mozilla is *NOT* GTK based. It has a GUI abstraction layer, and a lot of ports already exist.

The current Amizilla project only ported the low-level layer (NSPR), which deals with I/O, mermory management, networking and multitasking. The GUI is not the hard part.

[ Edited by Lanza on 2004/11/27 13:44 ]

@Lanza

Shouldn't that have been multithreading instead of multitasking :-?
    Best regards,
  • »27.11.04 - 14:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    @Lanza

Greetings and welcome to MorphZone! :-D
  • »27.11.04 - 14:59
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

I've tried Eudora, but its user interface is nowhere near as usable or 'friendly' as Thunderbird.

Booooollooxx.. you just don't know how ;-)

eh? :-P
  • »27.11.04 - 15:25