"New" official MorphOS site!
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ DrZarkov

Yes, many ppl speculate on this. i stil doubt that, but some official
    words are very *appreciated*. So please, BBRV or whoever can tell
    someting on this topic, do so. Let us know what is going on...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.09.04 - 06:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    It's part of the "Bad Publicity is Still Good" concept, as exposed in the PWO article on WrongPla.net!
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »15.09.04 - 07:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I'd like to join the group of people who wants some clarification, so I publicly demand some feedback about the "internal status" from BBRV themselves.
    We are praised all the time for being so loyal, so I think we deserve it.
    I've just realised that's the only pressure we can apply, right?

On the other hand, has anyone here got some insight from, say, the core MorphOS team? (well, stop laughing on me already!)
  • »15.09.04 - 08:28
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    I wish they'd make a LiveCD of MorphOS that worked on PearPC so that we Wintel users could try it out. :-(
    - Ronald
  • »15.09.04 - 09:30
    guruman
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    I'd like to join the group of people who wants some clarification, so I publicly demand some feedback

I second to that! While I usually don't whine for informations, it has to be said that this time we are left without infos way too long. I mean, this observation is totally unrelated with the website "iussue". Just that bit of curiosity we are entitled to... I think I'm not the only one who believes some sort of status update would be nice.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »15.09.04 - 11:40
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @guruman

http://www.morphos-news.de/index.php?lg=en&nid=812&si=1
  • »15.09.04 - 12:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ikir
    @Stevo
    "Trust no one agent Mulder"

@thread
    I like more the Genesi version of morphos.net.

[ Edited by ikir on 2004/9/15 14:36 ]
    ikir @ www.iksnet.it
  • »15.09.04 - 13:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Well, we learned around two month ago that any MOS news remains unofficial until Ralph, Frank or David confirmed it.

They are known as ppl who do not speak too much, but now the time seems right to communicate some words. Does not need to be much, but a brief statement does not take too much time. A short mail to the bt-II ml takes 5 minutes just to clarify the very basics. What is the reason for the website change and why are questions just ignored. There are ppl out here who know the reason, why you keep silent? If the change is not ready for being announced then this website change was very unproffessional, because it raises only FUD.

/now I'll shut up and wait for an offical statement
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »15.09.04 - 14:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

DrZarkov wrote:
    With the experiance of the last 10 years Amiga it looks for me like the MorphOS-Team and Genesi are "divorced" now.

Looking back on the posts from "the Official MorphOS Team", I believe that there are indeed some quarrel between the MorphOS developers (or at least the head honcho) and Genesi. And looking back on the latest year, it's not difficult to see why. Things were going fine in the beginning, Genesi had a lot of resources and made a lot of promises based on the assumption that they would still have a lot of resources for some time to come. However, unexpected things of major magnitude happened (I am talking about the Pretory thing here), and the situation changed radically. We have seen "Pissed Webmasters" ranting about this in public, as well as a few developers. And some time ago there was these sudden announcements signed by "the Official MorphOS Team" (and not Genesi).

But I would not go as far as call it "divorce", not yet at least. Instead, I see these happenings as ways of putting some preassure onto Genesi from the head MorphOS developers, to force some kind of change. These people has been silent very long, and they still are (kind of), not complaining in public or anything like that. Perhaps they have been waiting for a while to see if better times will come? And perhaps now, when things are actually beginning to happen with the Pegasos sales, they don't agree to BBRV's priorities of how to spend the money? Perhaps they want some piece of that cace now?

As I said, I don't think they are divorced just quite yet. I see this change of website thing as another way of increasing some preasure on Genesi, to bring them to the negotiation table for a serious discussion about the future. The silence from all parties are IMHO a sign of discussions going on. So I think the silence is a good sign. No new world order has been announced, nothing fundamental has really changed yet (the DNS could easily be pointed back to http://64.246.36.198 in a minute or so). No one has burnt any bridges in public yet, the things that has been made available is only some "Update: 'new' website online. More to come" message, and *not* some "From now on MorphOS will be developed completely separate from Genesi and the Pegasos" message, so there should still be ways back. But *when* the silence brakes, I think that there will be by a significant announcement - either a divorce or a formal wedding.

I don't know how the ownership and financing of Genesi is set up. I believe that there are no venture capitalists involved, and while this might be a relief for the people involved (I have seen how those VC's can be a pain in the butt and how they may screw things up sometimes with their clueless ideas), perhaps this would be a solution? Perhaps BBRV is setting their hopes to Pegasos sales (organic growth is often the best too), but perhaps money from those won't pour in fast enough?

Quote:

As long as they continue developement, it does not matter to me. But it does not look good to me for the future of this hardware platform...

Oh, the hardware will not be too difficult to sell, especially when they manage to bring the costs/prices down. The Pegasos hardware now stands at the launch pod, it's fuel tanks are filling up and the engines are starting, and soon it might very well take off. The support from Freescale (and now also IBM?) is a good thing, and the SNDF Europe event is around the corner, which is a big thing in all aspects. The Pegasos could do just fine with Linux alone; almost all nische/industrial hardware are sold with Linux today.

But I think you are very naive if you believe that MorphOS will have much of a chance of a bright future alone (or a future *at all*). You know, it's not just about the *development* of the OS, in fact, that will be the *easy* part. It's about making it a commercial success. If you look back through recent years you will see that many (most!) interesting OS projects simply died, not because they were technically bad in any way, but because they failed to establish themselves on a market. Without a solid underlying business, nothing can sustain. Maybe Genesi hasn't been able to provide that this far, but maybe they are going there now?

On the desktop market, MS Windows is the dominator. Nothing will threat Windows position here, and it's only through Microsofts dominating position that it's posible for them to actually charge money for their OS. The other destkop OS that exists in real life is Mac OS, and the reason to why Apple still is here is because the symbiosis between the hardware and the software. It is *one* product, it's a Mac, not separate hardware and OS. For *all other purposes*, there is Linux, this open and free OS that is constantly under development (oh, and QNX of course, a commercial OS for purposes where Linux might not be enough).

The way I see it, MorphOS only chance of survival is by going the Mac route, to team up with hardware under *one flag*, to deliver *one product*. If they go down the route of trying to sell copies of their OS on their own (or even by trying to license it to some (who?) hardware manufacturer), I believe that the OS will be doomed, because a new, unproved, OS brings a dimension of insecurity and uncertainty, it has very little to offer that other (proved!) solutions can't match, and they will not have the financial resources to challange the leaders on the commercial "solo-OS" markets.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.09.04 - 14:10
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    you morphos ppl don't deserve to know,
    just shut up and wait few years.
    maybe something will come up.. someday ;)

but shht i didn't told you nuffin it's top secret ;)
  • »15.09.04 - 14:16
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Quote:

Henes wrote:
    @guruman

Hi Henes. I know. I read. And, to be honest, I'm not really that much curious. I can wait. I waited months for the Peg2, and I am still waiting for some bits - courtesy of Poste Italiane - the italian postal system...
    But when, as you can see, a "simple" site adjustment turns out as a mayor source of rumors, it's probably time for some clarifications. Rumors have been spreading all around the web, even in some (not international) sites and forums you're not monitoring, where there are people saying that MOS 1.5 will never appear, that the next Pegasoses won't have MOS bundled, and so on. This can do quite some harm to the effort and the platform. I think you get it.

Guys, keep up the good work!

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »15.09.04 - 14:37
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    what a pile of s.h.i.t..

when it's done.. but what? shht don't ask ;)
    this is the best.. ppl don't even know what they're waitin for.

my guess is mos1.5 will support and have drivers for pizza engeneering hardware.
    an usb driven micro oven for mini pizza.
    -----------

(this site have a crap script that turn bad words into nice ones. it turned my word "s.h.i.t. into "flowers" i hate script that transform ppl's opinion.)

look: i think the script is pure shit

[ Edited by keisangi on 2004/9/15 15:50 ]
  • »15.09.04 - 14:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    ... What about asking the so-called "MorphOS team representatives" about that ?

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »15.09.04 - 15:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BBRV must make some very well explained clarifications...
  • »15.09.04 - 15:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    @Takemehomegrandma

Good post and I agree fully. Lets just hope they have not decided to break away. I think that would be suicide for sure. The OS and hardware as one is the only way to keep things alove as in the Mac world, but this is an "Amiga-like" scene and who knows what can happen.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »15.09.04 - 15:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Let's see if BBRV reply to that. This is not good action of Genesi if likes to succeed... MorphOS when be mature can be a key products for some karkets with products that can be done better but because no alternatives...

BBRV, we want clarifications, users will not shut up as developers, Genesi was done very good things but these actions aren't good...
  • »15.09.04 - 18:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    How about waiting until after SNDF Europe?

These last two weeks I am sure that every Genesi
    representative/employee have their arses full of
    work. Just give them time.

And as we have learnt before - nothing about
    MorphOS is official before the Official MorphOS
    Team have spoken..
  • »15.09.04 - 18:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Hear Hear!

Like Ironfist said; let's wait untill after SNDF! I see no reason to panic (yet) and spectulating about the possible worst things won't do anyone ór anything good.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »15.09.04 - 19:52
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    brotheris
    People, calm down. Why do you feel so insecure ? Don't panic, wait for promised website update. Demanding something in forums won't do any good.
    Home sweet home is Pegasos User Group Lithuania
  • »15.09.04 - 21:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    lets give bbrv at least a week to posibly shed some light on this topic and if nothing happens by at that point then the impatientess can continue. if u wantt hem to see this thred u might want to rename it to something along the lines of "bbrv look at this" :)
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »15.09.04 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Demanding something in forums won't do any good.

Just like MOS-Team being totally mute for over a year isn't doing anything good...

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »15.09.04 - 21:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    how any people are on the mos team¿?
  • »15.09.04 - 22:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Poundsmack:

Official MOS team are only three persons:

Ralph Schmidt, Frank Mariak, David Gerber

-

The core developer team are the above mentioned three plus
    Emmanuel Lesueur, Teemu Suikki, Harry Sintonen

-

If asked me I would also like to add

Jacek Pizczek, Sigbjørn Skjæret (sorry letters are messed up)

-

... and somehow Stefan Stunz (well IIRC he's not active since years
    (and never was for MOS) but he invented the georgeous MUI)

But the first are the so called official MOS team.

-

..hope i didn't forget someone, of course MOS is the work of a *lot
    more ppl*

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2004/9/15 23:50 ]
    --

• »15.09.04 - 22:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    wow i forgot about that. i saw taht page 2 years ago. are they all still working on it? since last i heard genesi had an interesting conflick with paying developers or something like that...
  • »16.09.04 - 00:01
    Profile Visit Website