MOS 1.5 in 22 days!!!!!
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pegasosuser
    WOW! the MorphOS1.5 is comming! GREAT!

TNX to the :bloons: MorphOS-Team :bloons:

greetings :-D Cor :-D van Londen from Holland:pint: .
    PEGASOSII G4@1Ghz Registered MorphOS2.5 & AmigaOS4.1 1024DDRam ATI RADEON9250-256Mb(128Bit) Creatieve Soundblaster Live! 2 x HD MAXTOR U-ATA133 160Gb 8Mb-Cache Plextor DVDR +- RW 708A 2Mb Buffer ONLY PEGASOS MAKE IT POSSIBLE!
  • »22.08.05 - 23:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    Oh man, not again. Whats this? Every year the same discussion about this old joke from morphos-news.de?
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »22.08.05 - 23:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    Hmmm... I think people still belive, that MorphOS team wants to do
    something for users.... I think morphos is dead. Kill it MorphOS-Team.
    Some people sell pegasoses for linux users... I work still on MorphOS,
    but think, maybe it would be better start support AROS-Team?
    Unfrtunately I don't belive MorphOS-team :(
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »23.08.05 - 06:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    Can't you see the work the MOS team is currently carrying out ? I understand the wait may be frustrating, but 1.5 release won't happen before everything is really finished.

We just lack some kind of vague official progress report, it would be enough to most :)
    xmpp:mahen on jabber.fr
  • »23.08.05 - 10:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    I agree with mahen, we could use an unofficial progress report. It doesn't have to give deadlines or dates. It could basically reassure users "hey, we are getting some important development done" and perhaps talk about whether the next version will be free for download or commercial.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »23.08.05 - 10:31
    Stevo
    Nah, what we really need is a video showing a l33t reimplementation of a classic feature!!!11 ;-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »23.08.05 - 10:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    Unfortunately i can't see any progress... For my question what they
    must do and how long time they need, MOSTeam says: "we can't told
    you". And I don't believe after some informal news, about it that
    tcpip stack still is not ready. Sorry in this moment they should do
    something like Krashan with ezTCP. Tell us, what is to do else and for
    example every month inform us what is ready and when everything
    should be done!

[ Edited by Kaczus on 2005/8/23 11:49 ]
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »23.08.05 - 10:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    I thought the TCP/IP task was ready for a long time.

What is probably not ready is : (from the little I can guess, juste to give an example)

- a better tinyGL
    - MUI 4 not alpha (probably doesn't need much more work)
    - A really complete Ambient (the most important is done)
    - Poseidon 3 (should be ready soon)

So all those components must be finished before we see MOS 1.5. :)

Of course, I mostly underlined some (more or less) external contributions, because I'm not close to any MOS core developer ;) But at least those things are good enough reasons to postpone the MOS 1.5 commercial release.

But why, oh why, don't we get any kind of progress report - anything, as vague as it could be. When there were the MOS Team-Genesi-Zapek issues, I could understand. But now ? :) Because, yes, it hurts the project, if they want to sell it :)

(No, I don't complain, I don't particularly personally need new features, I already don't have enough time to do what I want to :)

Also I realize the luck we have to have such an experienced team of persons almost just working for a few of us and accepting not to earn anything.

[ Edited by mahen on 2005/8/23 12:00 ]
    xmpp:mahen on jabber.fr
  • »23.08.05 - 10:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

DJBase wrote:
    Oh man, not again. Whats this? Every year the same discussion about this old joke from morphos-news.de?

The sad part in this is that it's even possible for you to say "every year" ... :-(
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.08.05 - 11:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    C'mon guys!!!! MorphOS 1.5 will be release soon...very soon..... I have a feeling about this ;-)
  • »23.08.05 - 12:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I have a feeling about this

I have an opposite feeling about this.
  • »23.08.05 - 13:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    grxmrx
    Quote:

Phantom wrote:
    C'mon guys!!!! MorphOS 1.5 will be release soon...very soon..... I have a feeling about this ;-)

No offence but I think that this kind of thinking is naive... In my opinion "mos 1.5" (or whatever version or name it would has) will not be released ever. Try to talk with morphos team developers and they tell you (or not) what is true. Many of them did nothing (or almost nothing) for years, on the other hand there are some people that are active but because of no new kernel available for users they can't release their software.
    Why do you think that Krashan is not in the most anymore (since two months or more)? What about MUI4 that was designed to work only with the newest morphos kernel and then MUI author had to waste his time to adjust MUI4 to mos 1.4, etc.

I think that nowadays MorphOS is not developed for users anymore like in the years before support from thendic/Genesi or even worse. Development is probably slow, MorphOS team is not interested in release newest version of his product and moreover they have nothing to tell us (users) because there is nothing to show and there are more bad than good news.
  • »23.08.05 - 15:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    @grxmrx:
    This thinking is plain stupid. 1.4.5 was released a few months ago. It contained fixes also right in the heart of the system (like in Trance). Besides, Frank Mariak, author of CGFX stated on the (currently offline) MOS ML after 1.4.5 release, that "we're finally heading for 1.5 release".

Apart from the version number, my MOS system evolved so much since i started using it one and a half year ago. New drivers for network/gfx/audio, new AHI, new desktop, new MUI, new console, new SDK, new whatever... Also dozens of new utils and apps. I hardly call it a dead system, which has no future.

There were problems. There are problems. Even personal ones. But i know that active developers won't let their work die just because few other frustrated or inactive ones want them to do so. So i'm quite certain we'll get at least most of the developments happenned in the past years. As part of 1.5 (or whatever next release will be called), or maybe as individual packages. But we'll have them, you can be sure about that.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »23.08.05 - 16:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    grxmrx
    Quote:

Chain-Q wrote:
    @grxmrx:
    This thinking is plain stupid. 1.4.5 was released a few months ago. It contained fixes also right in the heart of the system (like in Trance). Besides, Frank Mariak, author of CGFX stated on the (currently offline) MOS ML after 1.4.5 release, that "we're finally heading for 1.5 release".

Frank Mariak and some others are (or may be) OK but they would not release anything that require a new kernel.
    "There are problems", yes there are problems and there is not any solution for users. I know that some users has just sold their pegasoses to linux users or have lost their interest irrevocably in morphos. Why? Bocause of silence from morphos team, unclear future and so on.
    Please tell me what parts of the morphos do you think are still developed? Do you know how many people in the MorphOS Team are active and are able to fill the gaps? Why do you think they have not done any statesment yet?

Your are talking about 1.4.4-5. I must say that it was positive sign but why there was added so old morphos kernel? I know that morphos developers are using newest kernel for years, so why?
    i.e. bigfoot has made radeon 3D drivers, let's say that there are such drivers, kiero made newest tinygl. So what? I think one of the reasons that they cannot release this software for users is the morphos kernel that users have with 1.4.4-5 (it's too old). Who will use morphos version of Blender, etc.? Only two, four guys? Do I have to summon other examples?
  • »23.08.05 - 16:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    a suprise can come, but maybe not in days it's a joke, but Os4 will be released soon and i know that mos1.5 or not, but something should be released at the same time maybe the last and final update but a lion fight to death and never surrender
    wait we can be suprised by the last rrr of the lion

i believe
  • »23.08.05 - 17:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    @grxmrx:
    Quote:

I must say that it was positive sign but why there was added so old morphos kernel?

Because it was a bugfix release, not a release aimed for new features? Yes, it got new features, which were easy to backport. Simple, huh?

About new stuff: yes new stuff is used by the core guys since a long time. But it's also not released yet, because it's not finalized. Quite a few internal API changed even in the last months, which you don't (and normally shouldn't) know about. And i can tell you reasons for this, and take OS4 as bad example (on this area), but i don't want to do it. So let's face it: you don't get thoose new features because they're not ready. Simple as that. If you like to have half-ready stuff which everyone has access to, use Linux. :-D

Whining is easy, creating new stuff is hard. Too many people choose the easy way...
  • »23.08.05 - 17:10
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Kamul
    The main problem is not lack of this mythical Morphos 1.5, but the silence. The worst thing is Morphos developers don't care about us, users. They didn't say a single word about current situation with Morphos.
  • »23.08.05 - 17:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

The main problem is not lack of this mythical Morphos 1.5, but the silence.

The most talketive bird is the parrot, but it doesn't fly very much... Seriously, they do speak to the ones who ask serious questions, eg. regarding application development for example. They simply ignore the whining about release dates and such stuff. And that's right, if you ask me. Not easy, but right.
  • »23.08.05 - 18:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    If main MorphOS developers decided to kill MorphOS - it's their decision. I don't care about it and continue to develop my projects.
  • »23.08.05 - 18:39
    guruman
    Quote:

mahen wrote:
    What is probably not ready is : (from the little I can guess, juste to give an example)

- a better tinyGL

Are some components ever finished? A newer and better TinyGL is ready, but it's still worked on AFAIK. And that's *good*. :-)
    That's just an example, but I bet work is being carried on in many areas - most of the original team seems to be still in charge, and some others joined.
    So, why MOS 1.5 has not been released so far? Recently Ralph stated (on IRC) that he won't accept a 1.5 release until some milestones are reached, nor a substandard release. That's probably because 1.5 is going to be a commercial release (my guess), anyway they are continuing the development and they want it to be a top notch release.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »23.08.05 - 21:08
    guruman
    Quote:

grxmrx wrote:
    Your are talking about 1.4.4-5. I must say that it was positive sign but why there was added so old morphos kernel? I know that morphos developers are using newest kernel for years, so why?
    i.e. bigfoot has made radeon 3D drivers, let's say that there are such drivers, kiero made newest tinygl. So what? I think one of the reasons that they cannot release this software for users is the morphos kernel that users have with 1.4.4-5 (it's too old).

No, not in this cases at least. Both the newer TinyGL and newer VooDoo drivers (but those for Radeon might not be different) have been shown working on standard MOS installations (this might have changed recently, but I don't think so). They will be released in an organic update, or at least this seems to be the target. In that case I wouldn't consider it bad. BTW; I guess there's not only TinyGL and 3D capabilities in 1.5 but some more...
    Anyway, we should enjoy what we have. ;-) After all I don't need much more to have fun, although it will be better when MOS will be updated.
    Quote:

Who will use morphos version of Blender, etc.? Only two, four guys? Do I have to summon other examples?

Do you really think people keep developing for two or three of them, or because they know that, when everything will be done and in place, everybody will enjoy the developments?

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »23.08.05 - 21:20
  • DDJ
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    DDJ
    I know that some users has just sold their pegasoses to linux users or have lost their interest irrevocably in morphos. Why? Bocause of silence from morphos team, unclear future and so on.

Here is one :-( , I like MOS and i played with (MOS 0.4) it in my 1200PPC from 1999 till April 2004 and then get a PegIIG4 with MOS1.4, then with no hope to the future of Peg+Mos, as i only get my peg to have the most fast and coolest OS in earth, i give up, not proud of this but, we all have limits, and a community with no development or even some news about releases from the core coders, we can only wait or leave, as we can see, we are leaving, slowly but sadly leaving.

I have exchanged my Peg for a IBM Notebook.

[ Edited by DDJ on 2005/8/23 20:27 ]
    Peg2 G4 1Ghz rev. 1.2 - CPU rev 1.2 - Built on 20050808
    OF-version 1.2 (20050808153840)
    Radeon 9250 (9200Pro) 256MB/128bits AGP - OEM PCVIEW (ProLink)
    RAM 1GB - 2x512MB DDR333 CL2 - Kingston HyperX
    40GB ATA100 - Brand ?
  • »23.08.05 - 23:26
  • DDJ
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    DDJ
    I dont want you stopping you projects man, but this sounds like.

"I dont care if this Jet will crash on that mountain, i will be sitting here checking my duties" and pretending that everything is going good.

Sorry dude ;).
    Peg2 G4 1Ghz rev. 1.2 - CPU rev 1.2 - Built on 20050808
    OF-version 1.2 (20050808153840)
    Radeon 9250 (9200Pro) 256MB/128bits AGP - OEM PCVIEW (ProLink)
    RAM 1GB - 2x512MB DDR333 CL2 - Kingston HyperX
    40GB ATA100 - Brand ?
  • »23.08.05 - 23:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    You guys, you are so pessimistic.....
  • »24.08.05 - 08:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    It's just a hobby. I have fun developing for MorphOS so why sould I stop this? When the fun is over, then I'll just drop it.
  • »24.08.05 - 09:44