New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    @Kronos wrote:

Performance for everything I use on a daily basis, is just overkill really.

You called it with Wayfarer and hardware, I use Wayfarer daily but big sites can be frustrating...

At least with the Powermac stuff there are plenty of spares in the market if the power supply were to fail. Even old Amiga classic stuff is available enough to keep them going, lol.

What ever happened to the drivers from bigfoot? I forgot about that, did they ever get done?
  • »23.08.24 - 15:32
    Cego
    The issues with the G5 don't stop at the CPU. When the power supply dies, you have no chance of repairing it, let alone the amount of work to deconstruct the machine. The G5's are a waste of time, money (power consumption) and health (lifting that piece of metal is not the best execercise for our back).

I haven't seen any dead Pegasos mainboards. Some people fried their CPU cards due to overclocking and wrong cooling. But if you maintain the machine on a regular basis (which is pretty easy), there should be no issues. Too bad there are no custom CPU modules with 7447A CPUs at higher clockrates available. Even with the limited RAM speed, a higher clocked CPU would increase the speed of applications like Wayfarer a lot.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »23.08.24 - 15:56
    matt3
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    The issues with the G5 don't stop at the CPU. When the power supply dies, you have no chance of repairing it, let alone the amount of work to deconstruct the machine. The G5's are a waste of time, money (power consumption) and health (lifting that piece of metal is not the best execercise for our back).

I haven't seen any dead Pegasos mainboards. Some people fried their CPU cards due to overclocking and wrong cooling. But if you maintain the machine on a regular basis (which is pretty easy), there should be no issues. Too bad there are no custom CPU modules with 7447A CPUs at higher clockrates available. Even with the limited RAM speed, a higher clocked CPU would increase the speed of applications like Wayfarer a lot.

I would just buy another one and move the cpu and drive over and call it a day... Agreed they are the 3000T's of powermacs with all the back joy in that (just moved my 3000 tower 2 hours ago, lol). I have never tested a Peg II against the PCIe PowerMac. I have to believe the speed differential is pretty great, so for me it is totally worth it to own one. To date I have never seen a single processor PCIe PM fail, so I suspect they will be pretty reliable going forward.

Peg II's were a huge issue early on with the cpu coolers. I lost 2 cpus because of that defect. The last cpu card I received from BBRV had a corrected heatsink mount and it worked perfectly. Minus the CPU, the Peg II's were simply awesome...

[ Edited by matt3 23.08.2024 - 13:05 ]
  • »23.08.24 - 17:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

NewSense wrote

I was able to download the Black & Decker manual just fine from manualls.co.uk, even via a UK VPN...

manuals.com doesn't seem to work at the moment. manualslib.com works just fine, including downloads.

Haven't seen any 'power user' errors when using ebay.co.uk, either (also via a UK VPN).

I can only conclude that your problem is entirely local. Either your ISP got marked as shady and you get more captchas and other checks than I or other users do, or your clicking patterns tend to trigger additional protections on various websites - that'd be a case if you did too many clicks at once, etc. It's likely worth waiting until a website fully loads before you start doing anything on it. In case of manualls.co.uk it takes about 10s from clicking 'Download manual' to getting the download popup. The website does a lot behind your back when you do click on it and it will fail miserably if you click it before it has finished loading.

I'd recommend:
    - try out a different ISP, perhaps by tethering on your phone
    - patience, wait for websites to finish loading
    - reach out to Ebay support as they are the only ones who can help you fix your "power user" problems.
  • »23.08.24 - 17:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: I was able to download the Black & Decker manual just fine from manualls.co.uk, even via a UK VPN...
    I seem to have triggered some in-house download limit on this site. How that has happened I have no idea. :-?

However, I have sent the website a message asking for them to explain why there is a limit on my profile, as I cannot think of a reason why this would have been triggered in the first place, though their website message says that I got "over excited" and caused this situation - how that happens by pressing keys on a keyboard and moving and clicking a mouse, well a trackball in my case, in a normal way I don't know! :-?

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: manuals.com doesn't seem to work at the moment.
    I think I misquoted the website name, but used the correct link in the text, that being ... https www manualslib com
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: manualslib.com works just fine, including downloads.
    but not for me
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: Haven't seen any 'power user' errors when using ebay.co.uk, either (also via a UK VPN).
    I've since retried using Wayfarer v8.11 and this time with a basic download and no personalisation, such as quicklinks, cookies, etc. then Wayfarer v8.11 loaded up correctly on the ebay UK website and allowed me to login . . . seems very strange, but I am glad it's working OK now, and why it made that "bot" and "Power User" appearance I just don't understand!
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: I can only conclude that your problem is entirely local. Either your ISP got marked as shady and you get more captchas and other checks than I or other users do, or your clicking patterns tend to trigger additional protections on various websites - that'd be a case if you did too many clicks at once, etc. It's likely worth waiting until a website fully loads before you start doing anything on it.
    I'm aware of the necessity to allow webpages to fully load up, but sometimes it is taking an extremely long time for them to do so, but I usually watch the loading gauge to ensure the page is fully loaded before I start to do anything that might upset the situation, but why manualslib.com does nothing when I access it, other than get me frustrated I do not know, but I am avoiding it for now, as their website doesn't trigger the "Send message" button when I click on it, so it won't even allow me to send a Contact Us message to find out why this situation exists for me currently.
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: In case of manualls.co.uk it takes about 10s from clicking 'Download manual' to getting the download popup. The website does a lot behind your back when you do click on it and it will fail miserably if you click it before it has finished loading.
    Noted, and I was aware of that basically.
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: I'd recommend:
    - try out a different ISP, perhaps by tethering on your phone
    - patience, wait for websites to finish loading
    - reach out to Ebay support as they are the only ones who can help you fix your "power user" problems.
    Thanks for your long and lengthy explanation, it is much appreciated. However, I don't think that is necessary as I can once again access ebay - even using v8.11, and I can access all the other websites, but I just cannot download manuals from 2 websites - due to some issue they have that I may have stumbled over/into . . . for whatever obscure reason . . . who knows!!

I will bring the situation to the attention of my ISP, who I have good communications with, and see if there is something they can determine that has happened on my profile to besmirch it in the online realm! ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.08.24 - 07:06
    Cego
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    I would just buy another one and move the cpu and drive over and call it a day... Agreed they are the 3000T's of powermacs with all the back joy in that (just moved my 3000 tower 2 hours ago, lol). I have never tested a Peg II against the PCIe PowerMac. I have to believe the speed differential is pretty great, so for me it is totally worth it to own one. To date I have never seen a single processor PCIe PM fail, so I suspect they will be pretty reliable going forward.

Peg II's were a huge issue early on with the cpu coolers. I lost 2 cpus because of that defect. The last cpu card I received from BBRV had a corrected heatsink mount and it worked perfectly. Minus the CPU, the Peg II's were simply awesome...

The G5s are way faster than the Peg2, but honestly i cant think of much software that would need that much power. The only two programs that could use more speed on my Peg2/G4 are Wayfarer and Dosbox (for some 3D games like Screamer). OWB-JIT is pretty fast though and has nice and fast scrolling too. Iris runs nicely just like all the other MorphOS Apps. For a retro NG Amiga experience this is all i need.

My Pegasos 2 comes in a MicroATX case with low-profile PCI Slots, which takes up very little space. For me the benefits of this kind of setup outweights the power advantage of the G5.

Getting a new G5 isn't easy as well. You really can't ship it, so you have to go and pick it up somewhere.

Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »24.08.24 - 09:48
    Cool_amigaN
    Nice setup you got there Cego. Is the 1200 connected to the same monitor with the Peg? If yes, what's the monitor? Nice Commodore speakers too!
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »24.08.24 - 11:10
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    Thank you :)

Monitor is a Fujitsu B22W-6 LED
    Yes they are all connected to this monitor. It has 1xVGA, 1xDVI and 1xDP input.
    I can switch between Amiga RTG, Amiga Indivision MK3 and Pegasos2.
    The A1200 is also connected to the 1081
  • »24.08.24 - 12:00
    matt3
    @Cego

That is a real nice setup!

I have never had any issues finding a PCIe PowerMac easily and getting it shipped to me. Perhaps, because I'm in the US...

I also watch movies and the extra speed help. Wayfarer performs pretty well on this box as well.

Since I use this system for productivity every day, I want that to go as fast as possible.

I use 2 monitors 1 1080p and the other 4k, and I doubt the radeon 9800 could even handle it. I use PolyOrga, Iris, Wayfarer, vpdf, Pagestream, and Turbocalc (one of my 2 68k items I still need, let's hope Microexcel comes to the rescue) all at the same time on different screens. I really loved my Peg II and wish I kept it sometimes, but these PowerMacs PCIe systems are very well made and perform well, so until a better hardware solution comes out I'm gonna stick with them...

I will post a picture of my setup after I clean my office... :)
  • »24.08.24 - 12:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Getting a new G5 isn't easy as well. You really can't ship it

You can and I have done it. Yo just need to take some extra packaging care to avoid bending of the housing.
  • »25.08.24 - 01:21