Scribble Texteditor
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    With Scribble there is a really powerful editor for many programming languages available on MorphOs.
    But I am missing one feature:

a) Key shortcut for "Close Current Tab"
    It is possible open files in new tab. It would be very useful if it is also
    possible to close the current selected tab with a key shortcut.

Do you also miss some feature?

regards
    eliot
    regards
    eliot
  • »30.04.14 - 20:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    You can close it with amiga-shift-t
  • »30.04.14 - 20:50
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    I can open new tabs with amiga + t,
    but amiga + shift + t does not close any tab here.
    regards
    eliot
  • »30.04.14 - 22:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    maybe you have another hotkey defined
    What key do you see in the View-Menu/Close Tab?

To change it open settings/menus then scroll to "View" definitions.
  • »30.04.14 - 22:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

eliot wrote:

a) Key shortcut for "Close Current Tab"
    It is possible open files in new tab. It would be very useful if it is also
    possible to close the current selected tab with a key shortcut.

Command-p is the default shortcut but you can redefine it in the settings.
  • »30.04.14 - 23:40
    eliot
    Ah, ok I found menu entry.
    At default it is amiga + p.
    I will change it, thx!
    regards
    eliot
  • »01.05.14 - 14:09
    ausPPC
    Is there a way to disable the tool-tip style messages that Scribble displays when viewing C source?

Also, I tried to define a hotkey combination to make up for the absent delete key on my miniature Apple keyboard only to make that situation worse. Restoring default settings didn't help either - I had to delete the ram:Env and Sys:Env Scribble files to achieve that.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »15.05.14 - 05:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @ausPPC

Fn + backspace should work as default delete regardless of keymap.
  • »15.05.14 - 13:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @ausPPC

Fn + backspace should work as default delete regardless of keymap.

Thank you for this tip, it's been driving me crazy not having a Del key on my PowerBook. :)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »15.05.14 - 14:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    Is there a way to disable the tool-tip style messages that Scribble displays when viewing C source?

Settings->Generic->Calltip Dwell Period = 0. Maybe that's a bit of a hidden feature to be honest. I should at least add a bubble or something.

Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    Also, I tried to define a hotkey combination to make up for the absent delete key on my miniature Apple keyboard only to make that situation worse. Restoring default settings didn't help either - I had to delete the ram:Env and Sys:Env Scribble files to achieve that.

It works to bind settings->keyboard->clear to any key combination with e.g. control or so (I just tested this). However, as already explained, there is already a mapping for clear on Powerbooks. I also don't understand why you needed to remove the settings files. Resetting and saving/using does work. By the way, the editor class settings are all saved in MUI/SCRIBBLE.keys. Definitely no need to touch other files.

Best,

Nicholai
  • »15.05.14 - 20:53
    ausPPC
    Thank you all for your responses.

> Settings->Generic->Calltip Dwell Period = 0

Thank goodness! Now I can stop thinking heretical thoughts about resorting to alternate editors. ;)

Re: key bindings... This is a little confusing... As an English speaker / US keyboard layout user, I'm only familiar with the terms 'backspace' and 'delete' for removing an individual character to the left or right of the cursor. In this context, the term 'clear' is new to me. To make matters worse, Apple (in their finest traditions) seem to have some point of philosophical difference with the term 'backspace' and have elected to replace it with 'delete' on at least some of their keyboards.

To compound this issue, Scribble's Editor Settings uses the terms 'Clear' to describe deleting a single character to the right of the cursor and 'Delete' to describe deleting a number of characters to the right of the cursor up to the beginning of the next word.

Now, to try and make a little sense of all this, I want everyone to imagine that I've just used a permanent marker to very carefully cross out 'delete' and write 'backspace' on my Apple keyboards...

Fn + backspace performs a delete on my powerbook keyboard (on MorphOS, OS X & Ubuntu) but it seems that the Fn key on my mini keyboard isn't detected by MorphOS.

I'm experiencing this keyboard problem on a registered macmini with mini Apple keyboard. OS X on this system doesn't seem to detect the Fn key either. I also tested this keyboard on my powerbook, Ubuntu recognised Fn + backspace as a delete keypress but, again, OS X didn't seem to detect the Fn key and treated the key combination as backspace.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, something went wrong when I tried to define a new mapping to create delete key functionality. Restoring defaults had no effect even after I restarted Scribble.

When I made that post, I didn't take the time to go back into MorphOS and check the exact directory path of the Scribble configuration files. The files I deleted were actually in the ram:ENV/MUI and Sys:Prefs/Env-Archive/MUI directories and that is what it took to return Scribble's keyboard input handling to sanity.
  • »15.05.14 - 23:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    > Settings->Generic->Calltip Dwell Period = 0

Thank goodness! Now I can stop thinking heretical thoughts about resorting to alternate editors. ;)

I know. I have this turned off myself :-) You can always bring up the calltip with lcommand-space in case you want to check a function call (ctrl-space for autocomplete).

Quote:

Re: key bindings... This is a little confusing... As an English speaker / US keyboard layout user, I'm only familiar with the terms 'backspace' and 'delete' for removing an individual character to the left or right of the cursor. In this context, the term 'clear' is new to me. To make matters worse, Apple (in their finest traditions) seem to have some point of philosophical difference with the term 'backspace' and have elected to replace it with 'delete' on at least some of their keyboards.

I agree that this is indeed a bit confusing. I'm used to the same keyboard terminology as you are but the thing is that these names in Scribble map directly to Scintilla commands. I have actually been a bit lazy here with my descriptions as I find it quite painful to ensure consitency with all of these large number of shortcuts. Another point is of course that "clear" refers to both the action of backspace and to clearing the current text selection which can be wider than one character of course.

By the way, I'm always happy for any proposals on how to improve Scribble. I have actually done quite a lot of work recently which should make it into the next MorphOS release. Any help from people on this thread who wish to help to improve the documentation would also be very much welcome.

Best,

Nicholai
  • »16.05.14 - 00:59
    ausPPC
    This will probably clash with 'the right way' but I'd still like to have a depth gadget or equivalent when Scribble is in full screen mode. To be honest, I've gotten used to the taskbar / alt-tab method of activating windows on other platforms.

I had a quick look at the Scribble.guide the other day - nothing really struck me as needing attention but I'm going through it again. One thing I'll mention is that it's easy to miss without an icon. Did you have anything more substantial in mind to change?
  • »20.05.14 - 00:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    This will probably clash with 'the right way' but I'd still like to have a depth gadget or equivalent when Scribble is in full screen mode. To be honest, I've gotten used to the taskbar / alt-tab method of activating windows on other platforms.

The full screen mode is indeed not ideal at the moment. Currently, the best way to use it is to assign it to a separate screen (at some stage I might make it do that in automatically in full screen mode). You can then toggle back to ambient with command-m.

By the way, I guess you know that it's possible to set up shortcuts related to window / screen action with icontrol in the MorphOS preferences application.

Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    I had a quick look at the Scribble.guide the other day - nothing really struck me as needing attention but I'm going through it again. One thing I'll mention is that it's easy to miss without an icon. Did you have anything more substantial in mind to change?

Well, there's quite a lot of functionality that isn't documented at all at the moment and the upcoming version will have a number of few new features (e.g. bookmarks, code abbreviations and CVS log browsing). I also think some parts would need a lot more explaining. For instance, there should be some step-by-step examples on how to set up a project, including the Makefile. The thing is that I prefer working on the code rather than on documentation.

I'll make sure that the guide gets an icon. However, it should also be easily reachable from the help menu, although that feature might be broken in the current release.
  • »20.05.14 - 11:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    The full screen mode is indeed not ideal at the moment. Currently, the best way to use it is to assign it to a separate screen (at some stage I might make it do that in automatically in full screen mode). You can then toggle back to ambient with command-m.

I would only say that making Scribble open its own screen takes up valuable GFX RAM, and if OWB is open as well then it will probably on a 32MB MacMini system then will soon be or as a result be out of GFX RAM. I have a 64MB MacMini, so this does not affect me as much, but I am sure that using Scribble on Ambient as a window is better, and you can get it to 'jump' to another already open screen if need be anyway, which takes up little extra GFX RAM.

I don't use Full Screen option as I can always move it off to the left or right or bottom of the Ambient screen if I need to focus on doing something on the main screen for a moment, or just Iconify it.

I think the screen situation is good as it is, and as you say you can use the MUI Screen Settings to generate or use an already existing screen for Scribble which solves the situation for me, if the need arises.

I should mention that on occasions I have noticed that when I am editing just a plain text file and a "ü" and one or two other characters then Scribble turns the cursor into a flashing "?" and any attempt to delete the "ü" actually deletes the letter after or before, and changes the "ü" to something else, even a "?" itself, and I don't seem to be able to get out of that 'loop'.

So I end up saving what I have at that point, and starting up a more basic text editor, and deleting that "ü" from the opened file - that I just saved in Scribble, that I couldn't edit it correctly in, and then save the file with the corrected lettering/wording and then import it back into Scribble, which then continues OK unless it encounters another similar, not entirely standard English character. It does seem really weird, as the "ü" is an ASCII character as far as I know, so should be recognised correctly, and in reality this weird behaviour exhibited by Scribble should not be occuring at all, but needs fixing.

Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    it should also be easily reachable from the help menu, although that feature might be broken in the current release.

I can confirm the 'help' for Scribble does not work from the menu - well not for me, in version 1.2
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.05.14 - 01:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I would only say that making Scribble open its own screen takes up valuable GFX RAM, and if OWB is open as well then it will probably on a 32MB MacMini system then will soon be or as a result be out of GFX RAM.

Yes, I know. My mac mini which I use a lot (I have a powerbook and a G5 as well) only has 32mb so this would would then be an option or something. I still haven't made up my mind.

Quote:

I should mention that on occasions I have noticed that when I am editing just a plain text file and a "ü" and one or two other characters then Scribble turns the cursor into a flashing "?" and any attempt to delete the "ü" actually deletes the letter after or before, and changes the "ü" to something else, even a "?" itself, and I don't seem to be able to get out of that 'loop'.

Is this using TTEngine and are you using UTF8 mode? I don't have this issue but I don't use TTEngine myself except for testing it from time to time.

Quote:

I can confirm the 'help' for Scribble does not work from the menu - well not for me, in version 1.2

Yes, I also noticed that this was broken and fixed the issue a few weeks ago and it will make it into the next release.
  • »24.05.14 - 18:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    I only miss the block selecting mode...
  • »26.05.14 - 12:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:

Er... of course Scribble has block select...
  • »26.05.14 - 13:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:

... what doesn't work, as expected/at all!
  • »26.05.14 - 13:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:

It does work already but as far as I remember, it used scintilla's thin selection mode in the last release whereas I have now changed this to stream mode which is probably visually closer to what you have in mind.
  • »26.05.14 - 15:46
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:

It does work already but as far as I remember, it used scintilla's thin selection mode in the last release whereas I have now changed this to stream mode which is probably visually closer to what you have in mind.

Sounds great... waiting for the new version! :)
  • »27.05.14 - 08:42
    polluks
    Hi!

Will you include ARexx syntax highlighting next time? I'm just missing the good old highlighter API.

Greetings,
    Stefan
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »27.05.14 - 14:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Is this using TTEngine and are you using UTF8 mode? I don't have this issue but I don't use TTEngine myself except for testing it from time to time.

Yes, on both instances - TTEngine, and UTF8 mode active.

Is this a known problem with using both features?

Should I use one or the other?

I like the TTEngine feature, so I'd rather not be switching that feature off, but the UTF-8 I can live without if that will improve the text handling for non-standard text. Please let me know what will work best, and if there is a likelihood of this/these problems being fixed, or if it is unfixable, or just a clash of the 2 features working against one another.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »27.05.14 - 17:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

I like the TTEngine feature, so I'd rather not be switching that feature off, but the UTF-8 I can live without if that will improve the text handling for non-standard text. Please let me know what will work best, and if there is a likelihood of this/these problems being fixed, or if it is unfixable, or just a clash of the 2 features working against one another.

I'm not exactly sure at he moment and I cannot check until next week. The only thing I know is that it doesn't happen with TTEngine disabled. Which font do you use? Did you try different ones?

Could you file a bug report (with the morphos bug report system) and I will see if I can fix it when I'm back home.
  • »27.05.14 - 19:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure at he moment and I cannot check until next week. The only thing I know is that it doesn't happen with TTEngine disabled. Which font do you use? Did you try different ones?

I use Bitstream Vera Sans - Size 19 in the TTEngine.

I haven't tried another font, but I will do so at your request, and with a few different fonts, and report back here as to what happens, even if it changes nothing.

Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Could you file a bug report (with the morphos bug report system) and I will see if I can fix it when I'm back home.

Of course, anything to remind you/the team of the issue.
  • »28.05.14 - 02:25