How to get rid of MyMorphOS icon?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    And try a more Amiga Style approach???

I mean... There is an option to avoid MyMorphOS icon which is for me of no utility, and also occupies space on my clean desktop and recalls me the hatred System Resource icon of Windows?

I had had preferred to choose between different options:

1) MyMorpHOS as a icon

2) MyMorphOS as a menu Amiga Style

3) No MyMorphOS at all.

Is there any options hidden into some scripts to edit and avoid it?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »05.04.06 - 18:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    I moaned about that many moons ago, but yet, no iirc still no option to get rid of this f**** Icon ;)

Not that there aren`t allready many many ways to reach "mymorphos": via context menu, via double click on the Desktop, via Icon, via Toolbar and I am sure if one thinks hard he/she will find an additionally way to reach mymorphos (which is indeed imho a not so great name, otoh I have also no better name, so i should better say nothing about that ;) )
    Also why I have to enter in mymophos first to format a harddrive or else is beyond me, but this is propably more a bug then intentional.

However beside that it`s nice to see the work that the Ambient team has done so far, beside those little quirks here and there it is a fine Desktop and has imho surpased
    good old Workbench since a while.
  • »05.04.06 - 19:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    that's easy, just complile the latest ambient, My MorphOS was removed.

or grab it here :

http://batteman.free.fr/amiga/Ambient
  • »05.04.06 - 19:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

However beside that it`s nice to see the work that the Ambient team has done so far, beside those little quirks here and there it is a fine Desktop and has imho surpased
    good old Workbench since a while.

Yep!

the work they made is very good.

I lov context mini images for the options in the menus...

Mimetype are good...

But I want no Windows style approach if i prefer so.

Or better, the desktop that I desire should let me free to choose between windows-like approach or amiga-like approach thru preferences.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »05.04.06 - 19:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Quote:

that's easy, just complile the latest ambient, My MorphOS was removed.

Well then you must have other sources then I have. I mean, latest sourcechange is from 29 or 30.3.06 (also acording to the nightly builds) and as I have to compile Ambient myself because I like to have those nice Iconprefs, I compile Ambient myself from time to time.
    But here the MymorphOS Icon is still there and I didn`t find anything about it is removed ?!
  • »05.04.06 - 19:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @bladerunner

the ambient version i use is from the 29th of march, i used the build made by BatteMan (check the link i provided), and My MorphOS icon is no longer on my desktop, i can only access it by double clicking on the desktop.
  • »05.04.06 - 21:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    We discussed about the name but couldnt find more suitable name than that. And the name must be somewhat unique so that names like "System" or "MorphOS" dont go.

The menu entry is absolutely useful because it allows accessing disks/assigns when the desktop is crowded by windows. Like Backdrop feature in the Workbench but done right.

If you dont like My MorphOS icon you could move it behind panels? :-) You can replace icon by something smaller.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »05.04.06 - 22:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Soundsquare:
    Well I checked the binary you linked to and indeed no "MyMorphOS" Icon there, but then BatteMan must have changed something, because a compile from cvs has still the Icon and no sign of changing that.

Itix:
    Well the name thing is actually no real Problem, but perhaps one day you find something better ;) (But I have
    to admit that I didn`t find anything either ;) )

I also don`t criticize that my morphos is reachable with the menu, you are right that this is a nice way to reach it when your desktop is crowed. However what I *do* criticize is the fact you have 4 different ways in the whorst case to reach the same thing.
    And the only difference I can see between "doubleclick somwhere on the desktop" and "doubleclick the mymorphos icon" is that one has icons as default and the other listmode. Oh and you have a clickable target while the other is clickable everywhere.
    I would like to see that changeable by the user.

And for hiding behind a panel, well.. those kind of tricks where usefull in the past on the Amiga, when no furthere development was done, however I don`t like this tricks and it would be nice to have a clean solution for this problem (and as you can see I am obviously not the only one disliking that ;) )
  • »05.04.06 - 22:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I agree this "doubleclick somewhere on the desktop" somewhat waters down the whole idea. Double click is handy but new users new something easy to find: an icon. In my opinion "doubleclick somewhere" should let go because it is against every GUI design guidelines. Pro users wouldnt of course like that...

But the icon is going to stay. We didnt add it because Windows had something similar, in fact My MorphOS is very different from the Windows one and we are considering to extend its functionality. For example the system prefs could have an icon there next to Ambient prefs icon. This could give clear distinction of these two prefs items which are quite confusively stuffed to the prefs menu.

One option could be allowing to rename My MorphOS icon by user ("tokai's morphos" for example) which could give more personality to the desktop. But rename cant be allowed to the menu item so this causes consistency problem...
  • »05.04.06 - 23:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Oh yes please remove that Icon, doubleclick and the menu entry is enough, what i still miss how MyMorphos opens i would like to have the possibility to configure the size of the window and if it opens in list or icon mode.
    Oh and Ambient Team is doing great work i really appreciate this work.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »05.04.06 - 23:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    yes, please remove this annoying My Morphos icon! all users i know are want to get rid of it (at least please add an option to hide it or something!
    thanks!
    anyway, ambient is the best!:)
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »06.04.06 - 00:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    itix:
    what about the name 'home', its not too innovatve to say the least, but differs from the my#? scheme as kown from the Win world and describes the function quite well IMO.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.04.06 - 00:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    I agree this "doubleclick somewhere on the desktop" somewhat waters down the whole idea. Double click is handy but new users new something easy to find: an icon.

And expert users want to get rid of it, hiding it thru preferences request button.

Quote:

In my opinion "doubleclick somewhere" should let go because it is against every GUI design guidelines. Pro users wouldnt of course like that...

But the icon is going to stay. We didnt add it because Windows had something similar, in fact My MorphOS is very different from the Windows one and we are considering to extend its functionality.

Please, don't be so complicated.

Amiga has the perfect solution, that was right ever!

The right mousebutton which reveals top workbench bar-menus.

Just put the option to leave and insert MyMorphOS icon into it (and so for all its functions).

AND

Regarding the assigns I couldn't care less of it.

As a user i want to deal only with media and removable media.

Assigns are an almost static fact.
    They are there in their place linked to those directory and there they must stay upto next major change.

Me the common user should not care if Fonts: is linked to "Sys:fonts", and Libs: is linked to "Sys:Libs" and "work:deluxepaint/libs" added.

Fonts: is "all the fonts" for me the common user and I should not check every time clicking on MyMorphOS icon if it exists or not, or doing actions with it, until explicit required.

If you think that with MyMorphOS icon you get things easier for the common user, you of the MorphOS team are going in the wrong direction with it.

You get complicate the whole MorphOS experience, which born from Amiga and shares its ease of use.

A very common problem in the wold of information technology is the fact that programmers put with ease into GUIs of their programs the commands and things they believe are necessary, even complicating it all, and mechanisms and shortcuts that are good for another programmer and not for the common user.

And unfortunately i should say that Windows since '95 edition avoided majority of these complications, because those who studied how should work its interface, in the beginning put on the same level the requests of the users, and the wishes of the programmers and mediate the two parties, balancing requests from each party.

Then, don't be too proud at a level enough not to listen the requests that came from your users.

Acting as deafs for a fact of pride, then it reveals itself only a prejudice.

Don't make the mistake of believe that all users are geeks, and try to keep the GUI as clean as possible avoiding any use of fix static icons on Ambient GUI than those of HDs.

Quote:

For example the system prefs could have an icon there next to Ambient prefs icon. This could give clear distinction of these two prefs items which are quite confusively stuffed to the prefs menu.

This is infact confusively, but had you tried to put any of the preferences into two different main menus?

For example, why do not create a MUI menu which is different from System or My MorphOS, or Home, or "insertnamehere", and then to put in any of these menues the correct settings? Ambient Settings into one and General Ssettings into the other?

-----

And to stay in topic with the argumentation of complications, I bring another example of how you get thing complicated and similar to Windows:

MorphUP.

This update center program à la windoze, is the proof that things are getting complicated, and overcome entire experience of MorphOS which started almost as:

Just copy a file there in its place.

In the beginning MorphOS is good because you just put one or two files in the right place.

Or another solution was "copy all files *.* in directory xyz" and you realized entire installation.

As in the installation Cd of MorphOS.

And it was a pleasure to discover it exists such an Operating System which doesn't requires any installation at all.

If now we have also the necessity to use an update center program, don't you programmers feel you are getting things worse?

Maybe a moment of reflection and a return of MorphOS to its origins is perhaps required?

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2006/4/6 1:52 ]
  • »06.04.06 - 01:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    for me MorphUP it's a must,and "my mos" icon (with the assign displayed) is a must too, no need to open an external utility like diskmaster or dopus 4 8-)
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »06.04.06 - 08:59
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Why should we imitate those GUI design guidelines which other OS'es are using? Then we're just hanging behind those all. I think we should take different approach and make things in better or fresh way. Like Amiga users have used to do :) Use great and different ideas like getting device list opened with double-click on background :) That was one of the most useful ideas from GP Software :) It's efficient, fast and easy... not just easy to find for new users.

I don't like the idea to cripple the OS from advanced users, because of the new users. New users aren't that long new users, they grow up too ;)

About assigns. At least I find it very useful, that you can go to assigns from Ambient. It's fast way to go look some config files etc from different programs. Personally using much AmiTCP: assign :)
  • »06.04.06 - 09:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Microsoft were dropping the "My..." icons and directory structure.

Why not set up a competition for a better name than My MorphOS ?

My suggestions:
    1. No name
    2. Root
    3. Home
    4. Assigns and Volumes
    5. Alba (After Jessica Alba, every desktop should have Jessica Alba)
  • »06.04.06 - 09:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    some things:

1. desktop double click options will become configurable as soon I've done my part of the work here (there will be no gui prefs option for this, but only a config option for advanced users in some congig file. default action will be "no action".

2. My MorphOS icon will be hideable from desktop, but with default config it will be there.

3. My MorphOS will not be removabel/ switchable off completly (unless itix sees a way and wants do do all the hard work, of coz. ;-) )

3. My MorphOS will be renameable, so you can have "abox", "tokai's morphos", "/" or whatever name you like.

Thanks for your attention :-)

regards,
    tokai
  • »06.04.06 - 13:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Quote:

2. My MorphOS icon will be hideable from desktop, but with default config it will be there.

Now that was what I wanted to hear :)
    Honestly I am not all against that "mymorphos" concept, I just hate this f***** Icon ;)

Btw, old and propably disturbing, but is there any chance to have 128x128 Icons back? Did you have a look on that?

(Any when the drag n drop prefs and perhaps the panel prefs are finally back in Ambient and I don`t have to compile every release myself, I would be very happy too ;) )
  • »06.04.06 - 13:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Root and Home are unixism and we everyone hate Unix, right? :-) In addition to Linus, crash-me-every-3rd-second-MacOS, OSX, Windows and TOS? :-)

"Assigns and Volumes" is not too bad though. But if the concept is extended in the future it doesnt work out anymore.
  • »06.04.06 - 13:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    What about "MCA" (Master Control Area)? ;) then? Ok, maybe to short and I am sure people don`t like acronyms ;)
  • »06.04.06 - 13:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Oh forgot, (although it might be a bit off topic) while we are talking about borowing stuff from other os`s,
    I would like to see kind of a xml (or anything else which is nice for that job) config file for drawers and such.
    So one can have different configurations for every single directory, where size of the window, icon list mode, background etc is stored probaply even different Icon Sets or such (strange people like me may even be able to add a warning sound when opening the mossys drawer ;)).

Note that this is not a "I want that integrated until tomorrow" request, but just more a question in general if such an aproach is thought about.
  • »06.04.06 - 13:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

I would like to see kind of a xml (or anything else which is nice for that job) config file for drawers and such.
    So one can have different configurations for every single directory, where size of the window, icon list mode, background etc is stored probaply even different Icon Sets or such (strange people like me may even be able to add a warning sound when opening the mossys drawer ;)).

Well... your desire is to have something like Feelin... a Object Oriented System with all the characteristics you asked for.

I hope that a future version of MorphOS and Ambient could share a port to talk with Feelin exchange variables, environments, GUI aspects, config files, and let the user choose it as their OOS of reference, just as like as some of us are using Opus magellan, or Scalos with their MorphOS (or like Elena Novaretti who choosed to use Workbench as the preferred GUI into her environment).
  • »06.04.06 - 18:49
    Senex
    @Bladerunner

Quote:

What about "MCA" (Master Control Area)? ;)

But don't forget the personal aspect! So - similar to "MyMorphOS" - you should rather name it "Your Master Control Area". And regarding the icon, it could show some people then: a police officer, an American Indian, a construction worker, a soldier, a biker and a cowboy... ;-)
  • »06.04.06 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    @Ambient developers

Something completely different: I've just been looking if you might have enabled (like e.g. gtkmui did) the Sourceforge option "donate to project" - but you seem to haven't done so.

Is there another way for donating some few Euros as a little "thank you" for your activities - although it can just have "symbolic" value only, of course, given the lot of time you are spending on it and that you are several developers who'd have to also share the small donations?
  • »06.04.06 - 19:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    Quote:

In the beginning MorphOS is good because you just put one or two files in the right place.

Or another solution was "copy all files *.* in directory xyz" and you realized entire installation.

As in the installation Cd of MorphOS.

Hardly any Amiga application ever installed with a copy, even DOPUS 4 required an assign and copying stuff in various places.

BTW, where exactly can I find anything like MorphUp (ie, a centralized network aware installer system in the vain of apt-get) in Windows? It never had anything like it (by default, at least).
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »06.04.06 - 21:37
    Profile Visit Website