Trackers on MOS?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    I was wondering: is there a tracker that works on MOS? If been searching for a long time, but haven't found a single tracker that works.

The problem lies mainly in the use of AHI; almost all trackers use paula. Digiboosterpro used AHI, but won't work because it hits the Amiga's custom chipset in some ways. There is the development of the new DigiBoosterpro, but I haven't heard about it after the release of the incredibly buggy (and rather useless) alpha-version. There was/is the rumour of a Protracker 4 version, but i'm unsure if that wasn't a hoax after all.

On Aminet you can find NewTracker-AHI, a rather basic tracker that was adapted by Martin Blom to use AHI, but it crashes on MOS. He is willing to share the sourcecode though.

Has anyone found a tracker that works on MOS (or is there a tracker possibly in development)? Or is there anyone capable (and willing) to port NewTracker? Questions, questions.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »14.08.04 - 13:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Doesnt the music app that comes in the super bundle work as a tracker? I though it did. I havent used it much, but it looked like a powerfull application when I started up the few times I have.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »14.08.04 - 13:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    There is a new version of DigiBoosterPro but is still a beta version.

Or we havce to wait for ProtrackerII...

http://www.kiritsu.com/protracker/

http://www.digiboosterpro.de/

There are also other music software that works with MOS but beta version yet,as HD-Rec.

www.hd-rec.de
  • »14.08.04 - 16:00
    But seems that both no shows a progress report, maybe we need to ask to the developers...
  • »14.08.04 - 19:10
    DJBase
    Quote:

Doesnt the music app that comes in the super bundle work as a tracker? I though it did. I havent used it much, but it looked like a powerfull application when I started up the few times I have.

Its useless. Its buggy and unstable.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »14.08.04 - 21:39
    Profile Visit Website
    I think that PSA is a very good app, it needs be fixed for MorphOS...
  • »14.08.04 - 21:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    Yes...it's strange..we have it in the Superbundle but it has some prob as the screen that can be only 8bit mode :roll:
  • »15.08.04 - 10:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

the screen that can be only 8bit

Well, such audio application hardly needs >8bit, right?

(Saves some memory too)

Oh, and it seems to work just fine here...
  • »15.08.04 - 11:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Hehe, nice suggestion, but I was actually referring to a tracker as in Protracker/Soundtracker/Fasttracker. More suggestions/tips?
    ---
  • »15.08.04 - 19:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @Stevo

If it's only to play modules and such, I've heard of UADE (which I haven't tried yet) which can be found in the software section of Morphos-News.de.

Could someone give us any feedback about UADE?

Fred
  • »16.08.04 - 18:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @ChatDEau

No, I'm specifically looking for a tracker to make music. It's a drag having to boot my old A1200 just to track a tune, especially since I plugged it out of my HiFi set to make way for my peggy. And believe me: tracking with the build-in speakers of the monitor sucks bigtime!

But for listening to mods, i usually use Delitracker. It's got mayor timing problems with the supplied 14bitGenie, but it's bearable when using the AHI-noteplayer (available on Aminet). The only player that hasn't got any timing problems is UADE. And it's the only player that can play custom modules on my peg. But it's shell-based (doesn't come with a gui) and since some versions it looks like the interaction mode is disabled, so you can't do anything with it untill it is done playing (well, you can break it, but that is not what I mean ;-) ). It's a very good player though, so I recommend you try it out.

ps.
    You can download a UADE launch-script here on MorphZone: https://morph.zone/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=33
    ---
  • »16.08.04 - 19:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @Stevo

Thanks! I just tried it, and it works fine! A shame that it doesn't seem to support S3M format, tho.

Fred
  • »17.08.04 - 17:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    I want a tracker as well.
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »17.08.04 - 18:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    breed
    I really need a tracker under MOS, and of course the best tracker is DBPro!

PSA or HD-rec are not trackers, dont be confused!

WE NEED DBPRO FOR MOS!!!

:-D
    Download FroGGui and my tracks here
  • »18.08.04 - 12:48
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    I'd like something like Fruity Loops!
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »18.08.04 - 14:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    > I'm specifically looking for a tracker to make music

Same here. I'm actually getting totally disillusioned with the whole AOS4/MOS music making scene.

I've been writing with OctaMED for years and, like you, have switch back to my A1200T everytime I want to put a beat together.

Don't get me wrong, PSA is a beautiful programme but it's completely useless for writing music. It isn't even a hard disk recorder and is much more suited to mastering a final mix.

As far as I know there are *NO* trackers on MOS. Nor any sequencers (B&P is supposed to work but crshes my system when I try to run it)

AOS4 is the same. It comes with a demo of Audio Evolution which, despite being a HD recorder, I found pretty useless too, although I haven't really investigated this.

Someone is supposed to be porting OctaMED to OS4 but I really don't see it happening. If a development team were to contact RBF, I'm sure they would licence it for MOS.

FWIW, I'd happily pay £100 for a decent MOS conversion of it.

As that's unlikely to happen, I'll probably just keep using my A1200 until someone produces some usable music writing software for MOS/AOS4 or buy a Mac when I can afford it.

Whichever comes first.
    --
    Robert.
  • »18.08.04 - 14:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    breed
    Same thing here, i continue to use my A1200 only for DBPro... lame!

:-(
  • »18.08.04 - 14:55
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Same here. I've been tracking for 15 years using various trackers, but Med, OMed4 and later SoundStudio were the ones I fell in love with.

It's truly shame there are no real apps to create music, be it trackers or sequencers.

About a year ago I suggested Genesi to buy rights/set up a deal for a working SoundStudio for MorphOS (rights to both PC and Amiga sources were on sale then), and some negoations even happened. Sadly it slowly died away before anything concrete really happened.

I'd be willing to pay aswell for a SoundStudio with AHI support. No need to be MOS native, no need for any other improvements, all I really want it to do is just work.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.08.04 - 15:13
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Yep, still using my old Amiga for Octamed SS and DBPro too...and occasionally Protracker when I'm not too serious and just want to quickly edit a tune ;-)

I would as well pay up to 100 euro for a fully AHI-compatible Octamed SS, or about 75 euro for a (working!) version of DBPro....and I would donate at least 25 euro for a "MOS-compatible protracker" bounty ;-)
    ---
  • »19.08.04 - 09:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Quote:

I'd be willing to pay aswell for a SoundStudio with AHI support. No need to be MOS native, no need for any other improvements, all I really want it to do is just work.

Exactly! :-)

I don't even need any improvements. Just make it work on my Peg or A1 (or both) as it already does on my A1200.

AFAIK, all that would require is AHI support and the midi support tweeked (camd.lib?)

OctaMED SS is easily my most used computer programme, by a country mile.
    --
    Robert.
  • »19.08.04 - 10:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    ruben
    Hi!

ProTracker 5.0 (previously known as ProTracker II) is under development for MOS (and others). It has been stalled for many months due to other projects I have but it's now at full steam as it's one of my priorities.
    Keep an eye at www.protracker.info, there will be a progress report within a couple of weeks or so...

Cheers!
  • »19.08.04 - 11:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    breed
    @ruben:

Thanks for this new!!!! If you are searching for beta tester i will help you with pleasure!!!

Nice, nice, nice!!!!

/me is happy

:-)
  • »19.08.04 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Quote:

There was/is the rumour of a Protracker 4 version, but i'm unsure if that wasn't a hoax after all

LOL, seems it wasn't a hoax after all (allthought I should have said II or 5.0) :-D

Cheers Ruben, hope to see a progress report soon!
    ---
  • »19.08.04 - 13:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Don't know whether this will be of interest to developers on this board or not but RBF software told me that anyone seriously interested in doing a MOS port of OctaMED should contact Ray, at this address:
    MED-MorphOS@medsoundstudio.com
    --
    Robert.
  • »30.08.04 - 23:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Hmmm, I don't know if there are developers interested, but...

OMG, where is that bounty site!!! need...to...donate...now....and...again...again...!!!!

Well, you know what I mean :-D

[ Edited by Stevo on 2004/8/31 0:43 ]
    ---
  • »30.08.04 - 23:42