Printing poblem on Mac Mini with TurboCalc 5
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi everyone,

printig on Mac Mini does work well here, at least with AmigaWriter, Turbo Print's Grafikpublisher and FinalWriter 5.

But when I try to print a spread sheet with TurboCalc 5 I get the error message that the printer did run out of paper. I cannot print anything with TurboCalc 5.

I did not have that troubles with my Peg2, but back then the printer was connected via parallel port. Now on my Mac Mini the printer is connected via USB (of course).

Does anyone have a clue how I can get TurboCalc to print correctly on Mac Mini? Any help is appreciated.
  • »16.12.10 - 03:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    That reminds me of a settings problem with wrong page size. Afair this happened when 'Print Margings' were set incorrectly in Printer->Text tab.
  • »16.12.10 - 07:15
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Thanks for your fast reply.

Currently Poseidon tells me "Warning - printer.class - GET_PORT_STATUS failed: endpoint stall (4)" after TurboCalc telling me that the printer ran out of paper.

I played around with the print marging settings in Text tab, but that did not help yet. What are the right settings?
  • »16.12.10 - 13:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well... if you're getting Poseidon errors, I'd check the cabling - try using a shorter one, put a hub inbetween or toggle with Poseidon settings for the device.
  • »16.12.10 - 18:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Well, the cable is a pretty short one, not longer than 1,5 m. This cable did work for years for the same printer with a Windows machine, and back in the MorphOS 1.4 days the same combination of printer and cable did the job with my Peg2, too; I just used a parallel cable for the Peg and the printer because I wanted to use the spare parallel port of that machine instead wasting an USB port for that task.

Also, printing from all applications within OSX does work without problems.

I now tried all available combinations here: using the printer without a hub, then connected to an USB 2.0 hub, then to an USB 1.x hub, after this with an USB 1.x hub which is attatched to an USB 2.0 hub - always I get the Poseidon error, but ONLY when printing from TurboCalc. AW and FW do print good.

I have to add that I had more problems with printing with MorphOS 2.x than with 1.4 on my Peg2, which was one of the reasons why I did have a dual-boot config, but on the Mac Mini I am stuck with 2.x.

Does printing from TurboCalc work for you with a Mac Mini?

EDIT:

I found an option called "Epson Init Sequence" for printer.class within Poseidon prefs. I activated that option - I am using an Epson Stylus Color 880 - and that changed something. TurboCalc does not complain anymore, instead it tells me that it is printing. BUT: nothing is printed at all; the printer LED begins to turn on and off like when the printer is receiving some data. The CPU consumption rises to almost 100%, and Taskmanager tells me that about 50% of CPU is used by printer.device, and another almost 50% by background CLI named ..../tp8. After 10 seconds or so CPU usage drops to a few % and Poseidon does tell me again aoout the endpoint stall.

This "Epson init sequence"-option does not affect AW or FW, both are printing well no matter if that option is enabled or not.

EDIT 2:

Arrgh! After rebooting to MorphOS TurboCalc does tell me the out-of-paper-error message again, no matter if the "Epson init sequence"-option of printer.class is enabled or disabled. This sucks pretty much!

[ Edited by Schlonz on 2010/12/16 22:43 ]
  • »16.12.10 - 20:24
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    How about printing into a file?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »17.12.10 - 11:54
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    @polluks:

Printing into an IFF file using the according option of TurboCalc does work, I get an IFF file then. But that's the very last option I would use if everything else would fail. That will probably never happen because I would (and probably will) use Excel on OSX instead.

Oh dear, one reason less to use MorphOS as my everyday OS.

It is hard to understand for me why MorphOS 1.4 did print better than 2.x.
  • »17.12.10 - 21:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    @Schlonz:

You can also print a Postscript file with TurboCalc.
  • »17.12.10 - 21:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    I had tried to make a raster plan with names and days and so on. It looked quiet good on the printing preview.
    But after printing the horizontal axis is spread over .. lets say 10 pages while it should have fit on one page.
    Has any of you a solution for my problem. By the way Amigawriter and Wordworth are working without problems.
    I have also exported the plan as html and in OWB it looks like it supposed to do.
    Just don't want to spend the whole rain-forest by trying to fix this. (I use a HP Laserjet 6)

thank you!
    defender
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »11.12.11 - 14:40
    Profile Visit Website