Kryptos
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rajinder
    hi
    i want to try encrypting a partion, but i am not sure i understand the readme
    is there any chance of a walk though guide ?...
  • »29.03.10 - 16:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    The first remark: you cannot encrypt a partition with data on it, because preparing a partition for Kryptos includes full format. You have to backup data first, then prepare partition in Kryptos, finally copy data back, then they will be encrypted.
  • »29.03.10 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    As Kryptos is more or less a port of Truecrypt, maybe it's a good idea to read the Truecrypt-docs.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/
  • »30.03.10 - 09:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    As Kryptos is more or less a port of Truecrypt, maybe it's a good idea to read the Truecrypt-docs.

Absolutely fas-ci-na-ting read! I used to say everyone that security in computers does not exist, it's just a dangerous illusion. Now, my perception has changed.
  • »30.03.10 - 10:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

More or less? It is the one and only TrueCrypt. The real big difference is the changed name due licence rules.

Geit
  • »30.03.10 - 11:00
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rajinder
    yea its just a pity that the guide, seems to be no good to follow for use with kryptos
  • »30.03.10 - 12:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rajinder
    All i want to do is encrypt partion DH2 its 4.07gb in size and has a SFS format, do i remove the partion, remove the format.
    in kryptos wheres the RAWDISK: ?...
    is image file(firast thing prog asks for) to be made on DH2: later asks for size is that same size of partion or does it need space on there?..
    totaly lost here.....
  • »30.03.10 - 12:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rajinder
    So with an empty partion
    run kryptos >/ create new >/ type rawdisk: >click brows >/disks
    should be a starting point.....

also you can copy kryptos to wbstartup for easy start of drive
    so with app: drive encrypted all my web/browsers bookmarks ect are safe from others, also if showgirls is on apps: then all the photos i have looked at thumbnails'stored in cache draw' are also safe,,good thing if u have your wife/g-friend in the altogether so to speak and kids in the house

i read b4 getting macmini n mos setup in this forum and somewhere it was sayin about community, but is that meaning closly gaurded community as looking though the forum again most of the replys are cryptic and confusing to say the least, hmmm roll on x1000 as os4.1/5 users/moderators ect seem to help people understand more easy

if anyone has more to offer on using kryptos i dont mind wrighting a guide,,,might save someone hours of senseless messing for no reason
  • »30.03.10 - 23:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    most of the replys are cryptic and confusing

Rephrasing your post into plain English with proper usage of dots, commas and capital letters may help ;-).

hmmm roll on x1000 as os4.1/5 users/moderators ect seem to help people understand more easy

Your money, your choice.

OK, back to Kryptos then. When you want to have a real partition encrypted, just click on file browser gadget in "Create new volume" window. You have RAWDISK: as a logical device in volumepanel of the file requester. Enter it, go to "disks", select your partition. Click OK in size selection window, then select your preferred cipher and hash function. Set the password in the next window, don't forget about confirmation. Then select device and volume name for your encrypted partition. Then you are asked to make some random mouse movements for key generation. Finally select full format (quick format is quick but cipher strenght is seriously decreased if partition does not contain random data on all sectors). Then you can go for some coffee... After formatting, the partition is ready to use.

Feel free to ask more understandable questions if anything is not clear.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2010/3/31 7:14 ]
  • »31.03.10 - 06:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Rajinder wrote:

all the photos i have looked at thumbnails'stored in cache draw' are also safe,,good thing if u have your wife/g-friend in the altogether so to speak and kids in the house

And you happily say this in public? Geez, that's as honest as one can get!
  • »31.03.10 - 09:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > os4.1/5

What's that '5' in there to mean? :-)
  • »01.04.10 - 00:49
    Golem
    Nevermind, I suck.

[ Edited by Golem on 2010/4/1 10:45 ]
  • »01.04.10 - 07:41
    Profile Visit Website