docx documents viewer and converter
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi,

I'm receiving more and more docx format documents from our customers and I would need a solution to be able to view them and convert them and print them! Antiword unfortunately seems not be able to handle these kind of documents anymore!

Is there any solution available? Any hints?
  • »18.03.10 - 08:40
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    "anymore"? Well, antiword never did XML.
    How about this? http://www.docx2doc.com/convert/docx-to-doc
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »18.03.10 - 10:20
  • rms
    rms
    youre right, never did is correct! Sorry for my bad english!
    I'm looking gor a local solution, some converter which I can use under MorphOS, perhaps a python script or so because I get a lot of these .docx
  • »19.03.10 - 05:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    @RMS:

view and edit is not really a problem except it will not be in a "WYSIWYG" way!
    Because a .doc file is just a zip file, like OpenRaster, containing .xml files.

It's defined by the workgroup http://openxmldeveloper.org/
    So to view and edit, unzip the .docx file and take a look at the 'word' directory: all texts are represented here by .xml files.

As it's normal text files (UTF8 ?) you can easly open/edit/save them.
    Whendone, juste re-zip the whole ;-)

First Note: not good to use OpenXML, it's a Microsoft proposed format, now a ISO standard (ISO/IEC 29500) but accepted as it in some troubles conditions (see http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9909499-7.html?tag=newsmap).

OpenDocument standard (ISO/IEC 26300:2006) already exists and more interoperable than this MS std.

The other point is many ISO members involved in the votation process have joined the group during months or days just before the vote. Most of them with a particular opinion (pro or cons)! That descredit the ISO process... but as it's an "industrial" group, it's not a big surpise ;-)

Second note: Google Doc online service is able to open and edit .docx file.

[ Edited by Yomgui on 2010/3/19 11:57 ]
    And now... next project!
  • »19.03.10 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ yomgui

thanks for all that infos...

I dont need wysiwyg at all! I need to extract the textes so I can edit them with e. g. PageStream and do a new and professionnal layout. Antiword did a quite good job, as it was possible to either convert the .doc to postscript, then I could print it in sending it to par: or I could transform the resulting postscript file with ghostscript to a pdf, or I just saved the content of the . doc as ascii text.

As unfortunately there seems not to be a "local" solution with MorphOS I had a look at google.doc online service but I wasnt able to abload a file with OWB, I get a black rectancle on the upload selecter? (I'm logged in and have an account though).
  • »22.03.10 - 06:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

As unfortunately there seems not to be a "local" solution with MorphOS I had a look at google.doc online service but I wasnt able to abload a file with OWB, I get a black rectancle on the upload selecter? (I'm logged in and have an account though).

Do you have the flash plugin installed by chance? If so, try removing it.
  • »22.03.10 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website