File names doubled on DVD and CD
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi all,

I have a problem here reading some DVD's and CD's because they have twice excactely the same file name. If e. g. I want to copy the files to hd, it is not possible because allways the smaller file gets copied and not the larger one... Also double clicking on such a file opens an error requester saying: No hexview yet for that file...

I made a screengrab to better illustrate what I try to explain...

Does anyone esle have this problem? Is there a solution for it?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Christoph

Attached file(s) 
  • »12.03.08 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Well.. I can't see your screengrab (needs moderator approval), but it sounds similar to what I've seen with some hybrid (iso9660/hfs) cds. Didn't find any convenient solution on MorphOS, but maybe using a different CDFS could help?
  • »12.03.08 - 14:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ Golem

you should see my screengrab if you sign in to MZ, well I can see it...

anyway, AsimCDFS does not work anymore with all the latest updates for MorphOS installed like the latest iffparse.libraby or trance... I don't know though because of which one of these updates AsimCDFS doesn't work anymore?

but AFAIK AsimCDFS is the only one which reads these CD's or DVD's correctely! or is there any other CDFS out there for MorphOS which can?

BTW I have bought such DVD's or CD's (e. g. with images or clipart) which are commercially distributed and are not readable under MorphOS, so I think this could be a bug...

Regards

Christoph
  • »13.03.08 - 06:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    It's a known problem, unfortunately there is currently no fix for it (and there's not likely to be one any time soon as it more or less requires a complete rewrite of the CDFS)...

Make no mistake though, this is not a bug in the CDFS but rather a badly authored DVD/CD (I have a few of these myself) which have several identically named files (usually generated by some faulty MacOS authoring app, where it adds the resource file in addition to the actual file on the ISO track). The problem is that currently the CDFS has no way of telling that such duplicate files exist and take action accordingly...

- CISC
  • »13.03.08 - 08:46
  • rms
    rms
    @ CISC

ok, understood! Thanks for your feed-back and explanation about this. Unfortunately such DVD's and CD's are even commercially sold! E. g. I have some which come from "ccvision.de"...

In the meantime AsimCDFS reads these DVD's and CD's correctly but as I sayed it doesn't work anymore AFAIR either because of the latest iffparse.library or Trance (I can not use an older version of Trance because there seem to be problems with IBrowse then).

Are there any tests or logs I could do and send them to ??? in order to have a look at this and perhaps correct something so AsimCDFS works again?

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Regards

Christoph
  • »13.03.08 - 14:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

ok, understood! Thanks for your feed-back and explanation about this. Unfortunately such DVD's and CD's are even commercially sold! E. g. I have some which come from "ccvision.de"...

Yeah, I know, mine are also commercial clipart collections (not the same as yours though).

Quote:

In the meantime AsimCDFS reads these DVD's and CD's correctly but as I sayed it doesn't work anymore AFAIR either because of the latest iffparse.library or Trance (I can not use an older version of Trance because there seem to be problems with IBrowse then).

Uhm, have you tried turning off Trance? ;)

Quote:

Are there any tests or logs I could do and send them to ??? in order to have a look at this and perhaps correct something so AsimCDFS works again?

If it turns out to be Trance or iffparse Piru is your guy, try to get hold of him on IRC...

- CISC
  • »13.03.08 - 14:17
  • rms
    rms
    @ CISC

Quote:

Uhm, have you tried turning off Trance? ;)

If I do that then the system doesn't even startup, it hangs.

Quote:

If it turns out to be Trance or iffparse Piru is your guy, try to get hold of him on IRC...

It seems to be Trance! I just tested it the following way: if I use Trance and trance.library 50.7 then AsimCDFS works but if I use Trance and trance.library 50.12 (the latest AFAIK) then AsimCDFS seems to crash the system as soon as a CD or DVD is inserted.

I don't use IRC, don't even know how to :-( but I'll try to get an e-mail address and send him one...

Regards

Christoph
  • »13.03.08 - 15:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi all,

Nobody knows about the CDVDFS1.3.lha archive ? It holds a MorphOS native CD/DVD filesystem understanding the ISO-9660 (MS-DOS 8 charracter filename lenght, i believe), Rock-Ridge (Most advanched and used by AmigaDOS), Joliet (Windows) and last but not least HFS (Apple MAC) formats. It's ported by the well known Pavel Fedin from MOSNet. For my classic Amiga, i use Allegro CD/DVD filesystem which is programmed in 68K assembler and thus fast.

Grts, Amigaharry
    http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/ex
  • »13.03.08 - 18:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ amigaharry

Quote:

Nobody knows about the CDVDFS1.3.lha archive?

Yes I know that program, I even did testing during developpement for Pavel and it works fine in many ways, a bit slow though, but it can't read these doubled file names on CD or DVD.

Or is there something I do wrong? Some setting to be made?

Regards

Christoph
  • »17.03.08 - 05:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CDVDFS v1.4 is out. Get it here:
    https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=133480&package_id=227169&release_id=607509
    It is really a feature of CDs created on MacOS and CDVDFS now deals with such discs correctly.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »18.06.08 - 08:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    Yes it works fine :-) :-) :-)

This is great, thanks very much Sonic, as it permits now to read correctely CDR's which come from mac's...

Regards

Christoph
  • »18.06.08 - 12:52
    Profile Visit Website