help needed - recovering MorphOS partitions
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    I don't think i've asked much for help here, but this time it's serious enough (for me) to push myself asking for your assistance.
    I messed up badly yesterday night as i was peacefully doing a Gentoo installation on my Pegasos. I made a typo mistake by making my swap partition as instead of mkswap /dev/hdc3 i typed mkswap /dev/hda3. The result is that i killed my MorphOS application partition (i hate myself and i want to die).

have u heard of any tool that i could use under morphOS or linux to recover it ? Of course i have no backup from this partition and all my software was on it. Reinstalling all of it and trying to fix the assigns would take me several days and such a waste of time.

thanks by advance.
  • »03.05.06 - 18:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    Was it sfs partition? If yes then try http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/sfsdoctor
  • »03.05.06 - 18:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Oh for this failure you deserve to die ;-)

[ Edited by ThePlayer on 2006/5/3 18:55 ]
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »03.05.06 - 18:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Well, I'm not sure, but I think mkswap just writes a signature header at the start of the partition, so you may infact be in luck, and like marcik suggested SFSDoctor might help you...

- CISC
  • »03.05.06 - 19:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    thanks for your help and comments guys

@marcik

i tried a "find lost objects" and SFS doctor reported 56328 lost objects but nothing appears in the file list ??
    the scandisk reported a blockid error

what shoudl i do there ? repair disk ? recover files ?
  • »03.05.06 - 20:20
    gunne
    Hi SoundSquare,

I think its dead end.

If You are very lucky, You could eventually load the disc into scsiconfig in MorphOS, and manually type in start - end block, choose filesystem and other values exactly as it was before in MorphOS. If You are *very* lucky the partition might show up as a dos partition in MorphOS after saving the info to the drive. I dont think it will work though.
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »03.05.06 - 22:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    thanks gunne, i'll try that tonight and if that doesn't work i'll just restore a 6 month old backup i just found and upgrade every app in it again.

thanks to u all !
  • »04.05.06 - 09:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Nonono, mkswap does not change the RDB or in any other way change the partition layout...

It works with an already set up partition (in this case, his MorphOS one unfortunately), the question is just how much data it destroys at init (afaik, not much, so it's surprising SFSDoctor didn't recover anything), though he didn't say how far he booted Linux before he discovered his error .. if the swap was put to use it can have made considerable damage. :P

- CISC
  • »04.05.06 - 11:32
    gunne
    CISC,

Well at least it changes the info about what fileformat is used for the partition.

Anyway, if SoundSquare do have a backup, the best is he takes use of that I guess. Backup is very good to have. :-)
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »04.05.06 - 11:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    I'd try contacting SFSDoctor author before installing old backup (maybe there's some bug that caused problems with recovering yours partition?)
  • »04.05.06 - 13:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @CISC
    i only made a mkswap but rebotoed before going further. I didn't make a "swapon" or anything else.
  • »04.05.06 - 14:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Well at least it changes the info about what fileformat is used for the partition.

No, it doesn't.

- CISC
  • »04.05.06 - 23:20
    gunne
    CISC,

Hmm... ok.

I wont give up that easely ! :-)

If I have a partition created as linux swap, it will be recognized in Smart Firmware as Linux swap. If I then boot MorphOS and in scsiconfig change the partition to SFS, it will after saving and reboot be recognized as SFS in Smart Firmware. When booting MorphOS again, the partition will be ready to format as SFS, of course if I ticked it mount in scsiconfig.

If I have had a partition that I created as SFS in MorphOS and then use for storing of data, and I then later change that, by mistake, to Linux swap and wanted to try bring it back to SFS to try find the data, I would have done:

1: Boot MorphOS, start scsiconfig, change partition to SFS, tick it mount, save and reboot.

2: Then booted MorphOS again, and then eventually tried to repair the partition with SFSDoctor to see if its possible to find and get some data back.
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »05.05.06 - 09:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Yeah, but SoundSquare never changed the filesystem to linux swap, he
    only ran mkswap on the sfs partition. See the difference?

I'd also try asking the SFSdoctor author. I guess this tool is not so
    well tested yet.
  • »05.05.06 - 11:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    please don't get into a fight for me ;-)

i'll make all necessary tests tonight (i was too busy yesterday) and get back to you asap !
  • »05.05.06 - 12:46
    gunne
    merko and CISC,

Yes, ok I see the difference.

Had to try. If issuing mkswap or mkfs on a SFS partition from Linux, it will still be recognized as a SFS partition in Smart Firmware and in MorphOS, but not in Linux.

SoundSquare,

No fight :-)
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »05.05.06 - 13:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    This is really strange.
    After 'Scan disk' on damaged partition the file list might be empty, but if you use 'Find lost objects' there must be at least 'lost+found' directory on file list.
    I've sent you a PM with a link to debug version of SFSDoctor. I hope we will hunt this bug.
    Marek Szyprowski ...... happy MorphOS, AmigaOS and Debian/Linux user ........
  • »05.05.06 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website