My MorphOS adventures continues . . .
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    My MorphOS "adventure" is going pretty well now (thanks to help provided here on the forums :-)).

I tried out a bunch of text editors and ended up using (and liking!) 'pEditor' -- it's a good substitute for EditPad from OS3.9 (except it's an MUI app). I just need to paint some new buttons for it!

I've gotten Genesis & IBrowse correctly set up now (Aweb kept crashing). Plus, I've also set up FinalWriter & AmigaWriter. There's still a ton of stuff to install (WITHOUT using the installer of course!), but I'm starting to understand the basics of how it's done now.

When I first started, I didn't think there was any way that this thing would ever replace my Amiga -- but now I'm thinking it just *might* be able to! ;-)

Having said all that -- I've grown extremely frustrated with Ambient -- it's like watching a very good movie through a "keyhole" -- what I can see looks good, but there is SO much missing!

BTW -- has anyone tried 'OSemu'? How well does it work? Exactly what's required?
  • »29.06.05 - 19:48
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    > 'pEditor' -- it's a good substitute for EditPad from OS3.9 (except it's an MUI app). I just need to paint some new buttons for it!

One of the small programs I did not know until some minutes ago although I thought I'd know nearly everything. Some new icons wouldn't be bad. BTW: what about making PNG versions of your Glow Icons?

> Having said all that -- I've grown extremely frustrated with Ambient -- it's like watching a very good movie through a "keyhole" -- what I can see looks good, but there is SO much missing!

Yes, Ambient is extremely poor yet. Sadly, even the ancient WB 3.x is far beyond in features, comfort and stability as Ambient lacks so many features and still has so much fundamental bugs. I hope it will make a huge step with MorphOS 1.5 - it MUST do so if it ever wants to get over WB!

> BTW -- has anyone tried 'OSemu'? How well does it work? Exactly what's required?

Yes, I did but just with some sample apps. E.g. MPlayer is running well as the last ports for MorphOS are somewhat behind those for OS4. SMART-Tools would be interesting to me but I didn't check them yet. Most of the other apps are available for MOS too or not needed by me, so I cannot tell you so much more about it. Jsut give it a try. What do you want to use it for?
  • »29.06.05 - 20:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

what about making PNG versions of your Glow Icons?

A good deal of them were actually painted as 256 color images -- so nothing would be gained in the consersion (maybe a drop shadow, I guess).

Quote:

What do you want it for?

MPlayer, for one! I'd also like to see if Wet & WookieChat work.
  • »29.06.05 - 20:40
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

MPlayer, for one! I'd also like to see if Wet & WookieChat work.

There is MorphOS native MPlayer and it is better (supports overlay). I.e. without overlay you cant resize video window at all.

Wet doesnt work because it needs newlib.library. Wookiechat doesnt work either.

See http://amigazeux.net/os4emu/comp.php for compatibility list and check Wetter by UltraGelb.

[ Edited by itix on 2005/6/29 22:04 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »29.06.05 - 20:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Wetter is great, but theres also Weather:

https://morph.zone/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=235

(mind you, I'm using Wetter ;-) )

And since you find Ambient lacking, you might want to check out Scalos

http://scalos.noname.fr/top_home.html

or just run OS 3.9

http://www.elena-fractals.it/software.php

:-)

Oh, and while Wookiechat won't work, there is a port of Epic

http://www.christianrosentreter.com/releases/tuxgoesmorphos.php

and you can still register AmIRC (the best IRC client on any platform imho)

[ Edited by Stevo on 2005/6/29 22:41 ]
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »29.06.05 - 22:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    @itix
    Thanks for the info (and the link).

@Stevo
    Quote:

Wetter is great, but theres also Weather

Nope -- has to be Wet (I painted the iconset for it! ;-))

One more question: Is it possible to change the images used in the system menus?
  • »29.06.05 - 23:36
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Hehe, just use those in Wetter :-D
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »30.06.05 - 00:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    hi klesterjr

I'm glad you are enjoying your Pegasos! Keep in mind you can upgrade to Pegasos 2 with special offer! :-D

However, I do not agree with the statement that there is SO much missing in Ambient. Are you using latest public MOS 1.4.5? Ambient is quite nice.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »30.06.05 - 05:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    hi klesterjr

I'm glad you are enjoying your Pegasos! Keep in mind you can upgrade to Pegasos 2 with special offer! :-D

However, I do not agree with the statement that there is SO much missing in Ambient. Are you using latest public MOS 1.4.5? Ambient is quite nice.

magnetic

The Peg1 to Peg2 offer is for "original" owners -- afraid I don't qualify! :-)

I spend a lot of time with icon handling/positioning (surprise!) -- and Ambient is very weak when it comes to this.

There are a few bugs in the version I was using (the one that comes with 1.4.5) -- sometimes when you click on an icon, it actually selects the one next to it! Plus window snapshotting is broken (you have to immediately reboot to make a snapshot stick).

I tried the newest version, but couldn't get past the disk information being displayed below each volume's name -- very ugly. The "auto-positioning" of icons also drives me insane! Since I couldn't find a way to turn either off, I decided to go with something different.

Right now, I'm trying out Workbench from OS3.9, which seems to be working pretty well.

Hopefully, Ambient will improve with subsequent releases (and there will be an option to turn off the volume info under disk name & "auto-positioning" of icons!) because there are a few things that I REALLY like about Ambient!
  • »30.06.05 - 12:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Reinstall Ambient 1.29, like I did.
    The Ambient that comes weith the 1.4.5 upgrade is not usuable for now.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »30.06.05 - 13:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

sometimes when you click on an icon, it actually selects the one next to it! Plus window snapshotting is broken (you have to immediately reboot to make a snapshot stick).

Well, unfortunately I cant reproduce. Maybe keyboard controls are interfering (you can walk through icons via cursor keys or tab/tab+shift).

Quote:

The "auto-positioning" of icons also drives me insane! Since I couldn't find a way to turn either off, I decided to go with something different.

Yeah. I prefer auto-positioning though and it probably stays as it is now.

Quote:

Hopefully, Ambient will improve with subsequent releases (and there will be an option to turn off the volume info under disk name & "auto-positioning" of icons!)

Volume info below icon text is available for custom CVS compiles only. It was implemented in SE already but was not enabled for public release. Newer versions can have strange features... ;-)
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »30.06.05 - 15:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

Well, unfortunately I cant reproduce. Maybe keyboard controls are interfering (you can walk through icons via cursor keys or tab/tab+shift).

It's not a hugh issue -- but it is fairly "reproducable" on my system. If this was my only problem, I could certainly live with it.

Quote:

I prefer auto-positioning though and it probably stays as it is now.

Since most computer users are used to Windows and are "slobs" when it comes to positioning their icons, I think it's a wonderful feature -- just wish it could be turned off for neatniks like me! ;-)

Quote:

Volume info below icon text is available for custom CVS compiles only. It was implemented in SE already but was not enabled for public release. Newer versions can have strange features... ;-)

Heh, heh -- didn't know that! The version I tried was from MorphOS-News.de.

BTW -- I know I haven't mentioned it, but you've been a LOT of help these past few days -- I really appreciate it -- thanks! :-)
  • »30.06.05 - 15:57
    guruman
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Yeah. I prefer auto-positioning though and it probably stays as it is now.

I for one love the automatic icon resizing and layout. Since I was always going to make a mess with icons... (and I like also the small volume infos below the icons).
    Well, I love the directions Ambient has taken, and I hope to see a newer release that fulfill the "promises" the last one made.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »30.06.05 - 15:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    @itix

BTW -- in that Ambient release I got off of MorphOS-News, I noticed that there was a sort of 'def-icons' support listed in one of the menus.

Is this something that is working?
  • »30.06.05 - 16:03
    guruman
    Quote:

klesterjr wrote:
    Is this something that is working?

Yes (sort of). Just select your icon of choice for each format), rename it to def_xxx.info (where xxx is the extension of the format: i.e.: def_jpg.info) and copy it to ENVARC:Sys/ (and to ram:env/sys/ IIRC if you don't want to reboot the first time: of course everything will be automatic for the next boots).
    You can't configure the programs associated with each fileformat at the moment: that's of course a work in progress. ATM, double clicking on an image brings up the internal viewer, on a sound starts the internal player (you can stop it from an Ambient menu), and finally text files are supported.
    BTW, did you try the thumbnail view on a dir full of pics? ;-)

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »30.06.05 - 17:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    @guruman

Sounds like I need to give Ambient another look.

Where SHOULD I be getting it from? (is there an "official" web page?)
  • »30.06.05 - 17:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Okay so where do I find pEditor?

Mithalas
    --Mithalas
  • »30.06.05 - 19:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    >> sometimes when you click on an icon, it actually selects the one next to it! Plus window snapshotting is broken (you have to immediately reboot to make a snapshot stick).

> Well, unfortunately I cant reproduce.

I can reproduce this and listed it as a bug on sf.net. You have to move your mouse very slowly on selecting files otherwise Ambient selects the wrong files. This can have very bad effects as on moving files to other drawers. Wrong files get moved.
  • »30.06.05 - 19:22
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    > Okay so where do I find pEditor?

Have you ever heard of Aminet? :-)
  • »30.06.05 - 19:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Is it possible to change the images used in the system menus?

Not sure what you mean, but do you mean the "images" in rmb menu?

I think they're part of skins... You can find the skins at SYS:MorphOS/Prefs/Skins/ (and that's where you should copy new ones)

You can select a different skin for each screen in the database (System Settings / Screenmode)

If you want to start modifying skin graphics, my advice is, test different skins and pick one that you like the most. Then copy the files inside that skins' directory to a new directory and start drawing!

Skins have a text file that defines various colors & settings. But for many things (such as menu color) an image is used instead, if it exists.
  • »30.06.05 - 23:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Sure Scalos is da best for now as you can see my screengrab.
    https://morph.zone/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=919
    if deficons and contextual menus and png support and listers and more , Scalos is da best, Ambient will be better than now in next future, but for waiting Scalos is greater and more usefull
    ENJOY !!!
  • »01.07.05 - 21:46
  • Targhan
    Hey acepeg, would it be possible for you to contribute a scalos prefs-package to either MorphZone or the Scalos site?

I think some of the users could really benefit from a prefs file because it can be a bit of a bear to figure out all the stuff that needs configuring from the starting-line.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »01.07.05 - 21:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    You should be getting Ambient from the 1.4.5 disk and only the 1.4.5 disk. The ones on the net are unofficial builds. Just stick with what comes with the latest release of MOS.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »02.07.05 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Sure it will be better, i will work hard on it, and i will send the result to the scalos team.
    For deficons and some other prefs i will try to use morphos defaut applications likes (kaya/Anr) for mp3, ibrowse for html (because voyager is no more in mos) tv paint for editing pictures,mystic view to view them ext....,mplayer for playing various videos and vodoox to unarc everything)
    But for the Dock it's only Amidock. incuding prefs of the dock is not a good idee else of the minimal applications included in Morphos
  • »02.07.05 - 22:34
  • Targhan
    Right, well the dock is kind of specific to your own set up anyway, but the scalos prefs could help users. Thanks acepeg ;-)
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »02.07.05 - 22:58
    Profile Visit Website