Important notice for mod-fans, MO3 format and possible relea
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

and reduce a lot the size of the mod collections

and reduce a lot the quality aswell, I assume? :-)

Generally mod files aren't THAT big, so the size isn't really a major issue. So it wouldn't make that much sense to start converting every mod to that format.

Also keep in mind that especially mp3 compression works the best ONLY on 44.1KHz 16bit samples!

So, unless that format is widely used instead of other formats (mod, xm, s3m, med etc.) I can't see much use for it... Of course if it CAN be supported relatively easily, why not?

But for now I see only a petition to someone to release the specifications of a file format I haven't heard of before...
  • »20.02.05 - 18:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    You can use a lossless compression :)
  • »20.02.05 - 18:46
    hooligan
    I think we have too much module formats, really :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »20.02.05 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
    Yes, but having more it's more cool! ANR needs support more amiga mod formats too ;-)
  • »20.02.05 - 18:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Feel free to write one :-) The SDK for ANR is not published but available on request.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »20.02.05 - 19:06
    Webpage about the MO3 format

Thread of the forum about giving specs of the MO3 file format

Some info about the format:

MO3 is a file format, encapsulating the features of several "MOD" formats (IT / XM / S3M / MTM / MOD), but with one big difference - MP3 and OGG compressed samples. A lossless codec is also incorporated for any samples that don't like lossy encoding, and the whole file structure is compressed too.

All this makes it possible to have great reductions in file sizes with practically identical sound quality. Infact, MO3 allows greater quality compositions because MP3/OGG encoding works best with 16-bit samples, so there's no reason to use low quality 8-bit samples anymore.

* MP3/OGG compression: Any command-line MP3 or OGG encoder can be used with the MO3 encoder.

* Lossless compression: Samples that don't compress well with MP3/OGG encoding can still be reduced in size with the lossless codec.

* Structure compression: All the non-sample data is also compressed.

* Sample specific tuning: The encoding sample/bit rates are individually adjustable for each sample, with visual comparison of original/encoded samples.

* Text removal: Message/instrument/sample texts can optionally be removed for a further size reduction.

* Decompressable: MO3 files can be decoded back to their original formats using the UNMO3 utility (see below).

* Playable: MO3 files can be played by XMPlay and any software that uses the BASS library, also by other software in conjunction with UNMO3.
  • »20.02.05 - 20:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I dont see point. You maybe save some RAM, but you lose some CPU time when decoding MP3 samples. Modules are not that big.

And is "mo3" format really that good that noone can design similar format on his own?
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »20.02.05 - 20:17
    itix: They will release some source code...
  • »20.02.05 - 21:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I dont see point. You maybe save some RAM, but you lose some CPU time when decoding MP3 samples.

The most sensible thing to do (if you ask me) would be to decode the compressed samples while loading the module...

But in any case, I can't see too much use for it... Better just archive mods with xadmaster (can ANR load xad compressed modules? Don't know... But adding support for that would be more important imho)
  • »20.02.05 - 21:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Hehe, well, if you want to have smaller mods without loss of cpu power, convert them to ThePlayer 6.x ones ;-)

Seriously, I don't see the point of this format; as said before, mods are usually quite small. Only really high-end mods used for commercial productions might benefit from a compression format, but I have yet to come across one -> authors usually release those as mp3, not as mod.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »20.02.05 - 21:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    #?.dbm has mp3 samples compression too
  • »20.02.05 - 22:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Hey guys! You've forgotten the XPK library... No one player on MOS support it. It's a great mistake. 8) All my collections of MOD's and S3M's and XM's are packed with it.
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »21.02.05 - 06:42
    @QMaster

Maybe mos media will can support the XPK stuff on it (and able to decrunch the all those stuff calling the Mos Media API), maybe Krashan will think on that, who knows...

For people that don't know XPK:

Webpage of XPK

XPK for unix

Philosophy of XPK

For people that don't know Mos Media:

Official Mos Media page
  • »22.02.05 - 21:42
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @timofonic

Quote:

Maybe mos media will can support the XPK stuff on it (and able to decrunch the all those stuff calling the Mos Media API), maybe Krashan will think on that, who knows...

Hm. He'll better do... :-D

But It'll be great if XPK will be supported in AmiNetRadio.
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »24.02.05 - 06:43
    Stevo
    @Q-Master

Tip: install xpk, put the needed xpk libraries in libs:, open a shell, go to the directory where you've stored all your packed mods/s3m/xm's and execute "xpack #?" ;-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »24.02.05 - 11:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @Stevo
    Quote:

Tip: install xpk, put the needed xpk libraries in libs:, open a shell, go to the directory where you've stored all your packed mods/s3m/xm's and execute "xpack #?" ;-)

8) Very funny... It's not quite what I want. 8)
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »25.02.05 - 07:17
    halfOT: What occoured with Patrick Meng and SymphoniePro & SymphonieNG? The symphonieng webpage is down but here is the archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20040211133814/http://www.symphoniepro.de/

Where find the source code of SymphonieNG? How to locate the author? maybe he can think about release the source code of the amiga stuff (and release the format specs) too ;-)
  • »25.02.05 - 17:48