Can Not Launch OWB
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    Hi,

After many years of on and off with MorphOS I finally have a license via the purchased Mac mini I just got.

Now to my issue with OWB. I did a fresh install of MorphOS 3.9 and Chrysalis 3.9.4 onto the machine. I used the machine for about 2 days and now OWB will not launch. I get the message "Couldn't start program System:Applications/OWB/OWB" I downloaded OWB 1.24, unpacked it and that will not launch either. I copied the new binary over the old binary and still will not run.

I started an Ambiant Shell, dropped the program into the window and try to run it and I get the message "OWB is not an Executable" But if I show Information on the program the Check Box is selected for OWB to be an Executable. That is as far as I got. I don't know where to look in MorphOS that is saying the OWB is not an Executable.

Any suggestions besides Nuke and Pave?

Thanks
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »04.12.17 - 02:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Could you post the output of Code:
    List System:Applications/OWB/OWB
    typed in a shell?
  • »04.12.17 - 06:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    Ram Disk:> list System:Applications/OWB/OWB
    Directory "System:Applications/OWB" on Tuesday 05-Dec-17
    OWB 56888800 ----rwed 14-Apr-14 08:48:50
    1 file - 56888800 bytes used

Well today OWB works. It did this before too which I forgot to add to the original post. One day it works the next day it doesn't. It has Hatari did this also and today it works too.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »05.12.17 - 02:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    OWB gives that kind of error if you don't have enough free memory available when launching it. That would also explain why it works occasionally, because it's depending on your memory situation. Either you have too many other programs open, data in your ram disk, or some program has crashed and not freed its memory (you can usually see this case if there's a hit in the MorphOS debug log).

I'd recommend to upgrade your Mac mini to full 1GB in any case, surfing in today's bloated web with bloated browsers is sometimes hard enough even with 1GB of mem. But enable Memory screenbar module at least and watch it in these situations. OWB probably needs 50-100 MB free memory to start.
  • »05.12.17 - 10:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    I do plan on getting 1GB of RAM and maybe a SSD hard drive too.

I have the Chrysalis Pack installed which shows the available free memory and yes it is always low. But I do believe that I rebooted when it happened and it did not help. I have something to work with now for next time it happens that I can look at available free memory and reboot if needed.

Thanks
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »05.12.17 - 17:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

fmh wrote:
    I have the Chrysalis Pack installed which shows the available free memory and yes it is always low. But I do believe that I rebooted when it happened and it did not help.

I'd check the memory using 'memtest extensive' - just in case.
  • »05.12.17 - 18:31
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    OK

I ran "memtest extensive" and got

Memory is ok!
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »06.12.17 - 01:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Quote:

fmh escribió:
    I do plan on getting 1GB of RAM and maybe a SSD hard drive too.

I have the Chrysalis Pack installed which shows the available free memory and yes it is always low. But I do believe that I rebooted when it happened and it did not help. I have something to work with now for next time it happens that I can look at available free memory and reboot if needed.

Thanks

One advice, you don't change the hard disk from your macmini, because the Mac boots are a bomb when your change de hard disk, I have one macmini that changed to SSD drive and the macboot always gives me problems because it doesn't regongnized the hard disk, I had to change among three hard disk to macmini works, I have three hard disk one SSD, also the IDE drives are more expensives and little, and a big risk with the special macboot to recognize the drives.
  • »06.12.17 - 11:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Templario wrote:

One advice, you don't change the hard disk from your macmini, because the Mac boots are a bomb when your change de hard disk

That's strange, because I've swapped the hard disk in Mac Mini twice. Once for a bigger IDE, and the second time - swapping it to a mSATA SSD through a simple adapter and I got no trouble doing this.
  • »06.12.17 - 13:56
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    Here's an IDE SSD with no need for an adapter. Not the cheapest out there but plug and play. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMLP060/

They also have a 120GB SSD but the current 80GB drive seems to be enough so far.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »06.12.17 - 17:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

fmh wrote:
    Here's an IDE SSD with no need for an adapter. Not the cheapest out there but plug and play. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMLP060/

They also have a 120GB SSD but the current 80GB drive seems to be enough so far.

Well, for a hundred bucks I can buy both twice as big mSATA drive, mSATA to IDE44 adapter and still have
    quite a lot $ in my pocket. But that OWC drive surely fits better inside a 2,5 inch bay.
  • »06.12.17 - 17:53
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    I have not opened a Mac mini in a long time so I don't know how much room I have extra inside. That's why I looked at the OWC drive first. I found a lot of adapters but I don't know if it all fit inside the mini.

I found on eBay some 32GB 40-pin IDE Flash Drives for under $10 each shipped. I may buy one and try it.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »06.12.17 - 18:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Usual advice for Mac mini and Powerbook/iBook is an mSATA disk plus an ide to mSata adapter. Mine came witha 2.5 plastic adapter that fits nicely in the 2.5" bay of the mini.Mine is some china import via ebay, delivery took a few days (about 14 or so).
    Had a little problem first on installing it because I forgot to run the "blessing" command for the harddisk (HFSSetMacBoot command:
    http://library.morph.zone/Shell_Commands/HFSSetMacBoot). But then everthing was fine. The 2.5 ide ssd disks are probably rather old stock. I would avoid that. I took a 120GB Kingston mS200 drive, nice and reasonable priced (about 70 EUR for the 120GB version)

@ Templario

Have you blessed the disks?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.12.17 - 19:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I've only changed Mac mini HD once, but it went well without problems. Real HD to a bigger real HD.

I backupped my old installation to an SFS formatted USB drive (use MirrorCopy or BackUp or similar which can preserve softlinks from SDK etc), swapped the HD, and then I was too lazy to make new partitions manually and booted from MorphOS installation media and let it make the partitions automatically, and then I formatted the fresh installation/partition and copied my backup back to the new partitions (with a proper tool again).
  • »06.12.17 - 20:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    Upgrades I just purchased (prices including shipping) off of eBay for the Mac mini are :

1GB RAM $6.00 (new)
    32GB Sandisk 2.5" PATA SSD $8.00 (used working pull from an industrial controller)

Taking a chance on the SSD but for $8.00 I'll give it a shot. There are other new 2.5" PATA SSD drives starting at $50.00 if this one is no good.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »08.12.17 - 13:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    The 1GB RAM worked great but not the PATA SSD. The drive mounts fine on another Mac in OSX and I was able to format it. Putting the drive into the Mac mini the machine will not boot off of a CD and hang. I tried Master, Slave, Cable Select and it doesn't matter. For $8.00US it was worth the risk of it not working.

I noticed one very strange behavior of MorphOS with 1GB of RAM compared to 512MB of RAM. With 512MB of RAM I would run completely out of RAM with OWB and one or two Web Sites opened. With 1GB of RAM with the exact same sites open and even one or two more memory usage is 1/2 of what I was using with 512MB. With 512MB with two sites I would use 400MB quickly. With 1GB and more sites opened in OWB I only use 200-300MB. The OS has different behavior with less RAM.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »22.12.17 - 17:12
    Profile Visit Website