Pixel - image editor (photoshop/GIMP like)
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Has anyone ever seen/used this?
    http://www.thebest3d.com/pixel/

pixel_mos3.png

there's screenshots of it running on MorphOS, however the site is from 2005 saying it's a pre-release and the cost will go up at proper release ($38 now, $89 at release), yet when you go to buy it it's $50
    The demo page cannot be found, there's no way to contact the person, the more info page cannot be found either.

Just wondered if anyone knew anything about this software as it looks very good but this is the first I've heard of it when it appeared in my morphOS/Amiga RSS feed this morning

thanks
  • »26.09.13 - 06:36
    Kronos
    "Looks very good" while thats debatable there is for sure nothing else good about it.
    Unusable SDL GUI crash-happy and nothing worth called support.
    Just use Sketch, ShowGirls etc.
  • »26.09.13 - 06:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    This software is dead.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »26.09.13 - 07:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Better use some legacy app like TVPaint, ArtEffect 4, SView5, PPaint etc. Pixel32 for MorphOS is not just dead, it's decayed.
  • »26.09.13 - 08:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Has anyone ever seen/used this? http://www.thebest3d.com/pixel/ [...] Just wondered
    > if anyone knew anything about this software as it looks very good but this is the
    > first I've heard of it when it appeared in my morphOS/Amiga RSS feed this morning

Use the MorphZone search facility with the string 'pixel32' to find plenty information regarding this software, how it runs on MorphOS, what various users of the software have/had to say about it etc. Some random examples:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4492&forum=9
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9177&forum=9
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9475&forum=12
  • »26.09.13 - 09:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I think Art Effect 4 works well, but it was a hassle to install. You basically need to install it on UAE or on a real Amiga first.

Too bad Pixel32 died. Anyone knows why?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »26.09.13 - 22:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    Oh.. Pixel32, a forbidden dream...
    This paint program is a really good program but is in a dead stage from time. Pity I didn't buy a licence when it was possible and yes it'scrazy but I would buy even now!
    I've mailed the author using all the e-address I've found asking him infos and offerings bounty, donations, machine for MorphOS (someone else did yet if I'm not wrong...) but no answer at all. Though the last MorphOS version is a little more stable (thanks to new SDL libraries) more is missing (I tested MorphOS and Windows versions). I couldn't save a picture in any way and I could'nt write text. By the way, I really like this software and it could have become a real killer application for MorphOS but...
    This is all it remains of Kanzelsberger's not-so-new website website:
    http://www.kanzelsberger.com/
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »26.09.13 - 22:00
    hooligan
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    "Looks very good" while thats debatable there is for sure nothing else good about it.
    Unusable SDL GUI crash-happy and nothing worth called support.
    Just use Sketch, ShowGirls etc.

What he said. And to think I could have bought beer with my registration money ... ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »26.09.13 - 22:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it could have become a real killer application for MorphOS

An SDL application available for Windows, Linux, *BSD, MacOSX and whatnot could never have become a killer application for any OS.
  • »26.09.13 - 22:30
  • ede
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ede
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > it could have become a real killer application for MorphOS

An SDL application available for Windows, Linux, *BSD, MacOSX and whatnot could never have become a killer application for any OS.

Anyway some features of pixel32 are "killer" for MorphOS image processing software - HDR images manipulation for example.
  • »26.09.13 - 23:29
    Jambalah
    The idea of a so called killer application is related to what operating system I am using. Of course, without comparing MorphOS applications to others commercial OS apps. For a merely personal opinion MorphOS evolution reached a very good stage thanks to (this OS related) "killer applications". Since we have using a nice hobby OS all the expected and considered "normal" features are "killer applications" for me due to the hard work behind them. Graphic drivers are an example neverthless we automatically consider them ordinary.
    The "visible" apps are those normally more used and more considered. OWB is an example: a modern browser allow a user to make a lot of things and its evolution is much more noticed of the "behind the scenes" development wich is not less important and less hard. Although for other OSes is an ordinary feature have such apps we miss a word processor and a sophisticated painting program. Different OS users won't be surprised if a new painting program appear and eventually disappear since they have a bunch of them. We (me) would be.
    So MorphOS with a modern browser (thanks Fab it is here!), a reproducing video program (Fab strikes again!), a word processor (are we supposed to go on with Amiga Writer or whatelse similar? Yes, Google docs -> OWB -> thanks once again Fab!), a paint program (Sketch is not that bad, Paint needs to evolve, Art Effect... is going to be developed again??) wouldn't be great? It is yet, I've been using it for years as my main OS and with two or three "killer applications" could be more complete.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »27.09.13 - 09:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The idea of a so called killer application is related to what operating system I am using.
    > Of course, without comparing MorphOS applications to others commercial OS apps. [...]
    > Since we have using a nice hobby OS all the expected and considered "normal" features
    > are "killer applications" for me due to the hard work behind them.

This is your very personal idea of the term 'killer application' then. I disagree with your idea, and so does Wikipedia (emphasis added by me):

"a killer application (commonly shortened to killer app) is any computer program that is so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology, such as computer hardware, gaming console, software, a programming language, software platform, or an operating system. In other words, consumers would buy the (usually expensive) hardware just to run that application. A killer app can substantially increase sales of the platform on which it runs."

As you can conclude, this can by definition never work with an application that's also available for other (mainstream) operating systems running on newer, better and/or cheaper hardware.
    Maybe it'd be better to invent a new term for your idea rather than using one that's already widely accepted as describing a different concept :-)

> MorphOS with [...] a word processor [...], a paint program [...] wouldn't be great?

It certainly would, but none of those applications would be what's called a 'killer application' according to the widely accepted definition of the term.

> I've been using it for years as my main OS and with two or three "killer applications"
    > could be more complete.

MorphOS is also my main OS when I'm at home. Occasionally I boot into MacOSX on the same machine when in need for software that's not there for MorphOS. Having this software on MorphOS too would be nice to avoid MacOSX, and it would nowhere near have to be killer applications.
  • »27.09.13 - 11:24
    hooligan
    @Andreas_Wolf

I disagree with you and Wikipedia then. Pixel32 could have matured into a software which I have no problem classifying as a "killer app".

Then again, who the fuck is idiot enough to add "killer app" into Wikipedia.. jesus effing christ, don't people have better things to do.
  • »27.09.13 - 14:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > who the fuck is idiot enough to add "killer app" into Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Maury_Markowitz :-)
  • »27.09.13 - 21:00
    hooligan
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > who the fuck is idiot enough to add "killer app" into Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Maury_Markowitz :-)

If you ever meet him tell him about http://www.urbandictionary.com
  • »27.09.13 - 21:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

Then again, who the fuck is idiot enough to add "killer app" into Wikipedia.. jesus effing christ, don't people have better things to do.

Actually, the widely known Webster dictionary lists "killer app" as well as do many other professionally curated dictionaries.

That said, the definition differs somewhat from what is found on Wikipedia:
    Quote:

a computer application of such great value or popularity that it assures the success of the technology with which it is associated;
    broadly : a feature or component that in itself makes something worth having or using

Of course, languages are ever-changing and do not quite fit in purely binary schemes of correct--wrong.
  • »28.09.13 - 08:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    I lost all my Hotmail mails when it turned into Outlook.
    So I don't have user, password, nor beta to download.

Registered that proyect of paint program called Pixel32,
    (one of my worst wasted money).

Pavel does not reply mails.
    By watching his FB pic, seems he's rich enough...!
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »29.08.14 - 15:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    It is such a shame. It does look really good. Funny that you can still pre-order though.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »30.08.14 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    It is such a shame. It does look really good. Funny that you can still pre-order though.

Agree...
    It was a really promising project.
  • »01.09.14 - 09:53
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Even if you registered it you can't use the latest version as far as I can tell.
    I got in on this early and have 2 copies on my Peg2
    The older one, Version 1.0 Beta 6 build 498 is fine and shows it registered to me,
    but the later, Version 1.0 Beta 6 build 566 Says it's a demonstration version.
    So I don't know what's to think on it
  • »01.09.14 - 12:48
    Profile Visit Website