New version of MorphOS Pagestream!
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Just downloaded and played with the newest version of PageStream and it is really good so far.

Suggest others check it out as well. Much better and way more mature then the prior release.

Worth purchasing to support for sure!
  • »07.09.22 - 14:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Hi Matt

There is another thread already about this, although the title isn't very clear;

Link

I downloaded the demo last night and I've got to say it really is very good and appears extremely stable as far as I can tell. I am definitely thinking I will purchase it.

By all accounts a great effort from the wider community to get this developed and out.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »07.09.22 - 15:03
    matt3
    Thanks for pointing me to that.

I bought it and so far it works great, worth the money.

Never thought I would be able to run a business and use PolyOrganizer, PageStream, Iris, Wayfarer. MOS is the productivity King!

Now I need to figure out a bounty to get project management into PolyOrganizer and clean up loose ends in it. Would be really sweet to using linking somehow with Iris. It would be amazing for CRM, Calendar, and emails. Just as good as the pc software.

Quote:

Zetec-s wrote:
    Hi Matt

There is another thread already about this, although the title isn't very clear;

Link

I downloaded the demo last night and I've got to say it really is very good and appears extremely stable as far as I can tell. I am definitely thinking I will purchase it.

By all accounts a great effort from the wider community to get this developed and out.
  • »07.09.22 - 16:35
    KennyR
    Does it require CG fonts like the old PageStream?
  • »07.09.22 - 17:00
    matt3
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

It seemed to let me use regular system fonts, so I guess not?
  • »07.09.22 - 21:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Do you know how this compares to the older Amiga versions? I bought it ages back and been using that on MorphOS.
  • »09.09.22 - 22:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

matt3 schrieb:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

It indeed doesn't require CG fonts, actually they don't even work afaict. It supports all types that FreeType has to offer, so basically TTF, Type1 or/and anything OpenType, though ...

I might also point at the free font package

MorphOS Value Pack

again which makes a perfect companion for use with PageStream5 ....
  • »09.09.22 - 22:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Travis_H
    I've tried resetting my password, but the site never sends a link! I dunno, it must have been a dozen years ago and three email addresses!

Edit: So I got the password changed for the appropriate (read: OLD) email address and can see I'm a registered owner of PageStream 5.1 Pro for AmigaOS 3. I don't suppose that could transfer over to the new version for MorphOS?

[ Edited by Travis_H 10.09.2022 - 03:51 ]
  • »10.09.22 - 03:55
    matt3
    I had an issue (had 2 accounts) and Devon sorted it right quick..

Quote:

Travis_H wrote:
    I've tried resetting my password, but the site never sends a link! I dunno, it must have been a dozen years ago and three email addresses!
  • »10.09.22 - 09:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Travis_H wrote: Edit: So I got the password changed for the appropriate (read: OLD) email address and can see I'm a registered owner of PageStream 5.1 Pro for AmigaOS 3. I don't suppose that could transfer over to the new version for MorphOS?

Of course, Deron Kazmaier, the author, would highly likely make that happen as an upgrade for you for very little extra money. If you send him an email to "support" then he will no doubt get back to you fairly soon about a swap-over for a few extra dollars or whatever currency you agree on. 8-D

By the way, I think the PageStream 5.1 Pro for AmigaOS 3 is a "typo" as there is no v5.1 Pro for Amiga OS3.x AFAIK. The nearest was v5.0.5.8 which never worked, and I am very sure there has been no further work for the 68k version of any significance up to this date. ;-)

So, an upgrade to MorphOS seems to be a fair trade to me for a version of Pagestream that doesn't do what it was supposed to, and may have reached the end of the line of development, from what I know of the current developments, or at least has not been spoken of by those currently developing it (Deron & Frank) to me. In any case I own 4.1.5.6 Pro and 5.0.5.8 Pro I can say there have definitely not been any emails sent out stating any new version 5.1 for Amiga OS3 has been released, which you would think would be the case if it had been. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »10.09.22 - 11:54
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Travis_H
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

By the way, I think the PageStream 5.1 Pro for AmigaOS 3 is a "typo" as there is no v5.1 Pro for Amiga OS3.x AFAIK. The nearest was v5.0.5.8 which never worked, and I am very sure there has been no further work for the 68k version of any significance up to this date. ;-)

The version I've used for years on Amithlon and Morphos is version 4.1.5.6. Unfortunately, when I upgraded my MacMini with an SSD, PageStream stopped working.

I do remember playing around with a version of PageStream (perhaps an early version 5) for AmigaOS that was incredibly buggy and not worth the time. I can't remember if it was a paid upgrade or not. Either way, my "Registrations" on his website says "Version 5.1."
  • »10.09.22 - 13:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Travis_H wrote: The version I've used for years on Amithlon and Morphos is version 4.1.5.6. Unfortunately, when I upgraded my MacMini with an SSD, PageStream stopped working.

The v4.1.5.6 of PageStream I have used for about 20 years, and it still works on MorphOS v3.17, but there are sometimes issues with setting up the fonts for it to function correctly under MorphOS, but once that is achieved then it runs very well indeed. 8-D

However, I'm much more likely to stick with the natively coded version 5.1.2 of PageStream that I was lucky enough to test before it was released, that was brought about by Frank Mariak of MorphOS fame. I even think Deron Kazmaier, PageStream's author, would agree that without Frank - and I should also rightfully mention the assistance of Christoph Poelzl (& his son) that the situation would have ended entirely differently - as in probably been at an end of any future PageStream versions for us all. 8-D

PageStream as a program is about 33 years old, and started on the Atari ST as a program called Publishing Partner, which then morphed and improved into its early form of what we now know as PageStream, which it is still known as today.

Frank, is mainly responsible for the MUI compatibility and how it now functions in PageStream, along with more involved in-depth code investigation into the difficulties that existed in those early v5.x.x.x of PageStream that failed to "lift-off". So Frank, and Christoph (and his son) ... and of course Deron Kazmaier, have spent many, many hours all "beavering" away during this year getting it to the point where it runs to a standard that it could be released to the unsuspecting public ... us. 8-)

Frank will probably never get compensated financially for all his effort, but from what I have learned from him, he is a noble, efficient, ambassador of a human being, that we are all very lucky to have at the helm of MorphOS. Christoph is an expert and aficionado with PageStream, and a friend of Frank's, so together they approached Deron to make the idea that formed this project of a working version for MorphOS an actual reality.

They have all spent many, many long hours pawing over the program structure to achieve something that many felt would never be realised, and but for these guys that is exactly where it would have remained - as version 5.0.5.8 in a folder on Deron's system, unusable, and unloved.

So, Frank and Christoph together with Deron have, for all our benefits, worked most of this year getting the code structure into a working codebase to a point where it currently is, as version 5.1.2, and it works very nicely, and very stably. 8-)

This is probably not the final destination on its journey, as there has been talk of further future enhancements to its development, so along with Deron Kazmaier its original author, who has been very helpful to get it to where it currently now is for we MorphOS users, and Frank Mariak (cyfm to us on M-Zone) & Christoph Poelzl (who is rms on M-Zone) may take on even more tricky adventures into code-world with PageStream in the future. We will have to see how it all goes from here on, but I feel the story of our "code-knights" should be stated with nothing less than glowing praise for them all.

I just thought you all should know some of the "Legend and History of PageStream for MorphOS", and of the gratitude we should all feel for what they have all achieved for us all to enjoy utilising. It's a fantastic D.T.P. application - for any platform, and the fact that we now have a fixed release on MorphOS is indeed cause for celebration.

:bloons:

Getting back to the topic:
    Quote:

Travis_H wrote: I do remember playing around with a version of PageStream (perhaps an early version 5) for AmigaOS that was incredibly buggy and not worth the time. I can't remember if it was a paid upgrade or not. Either way, my "Registrations" on his website says "Version 5.1."

That version (5.1) shows on my profile, but relates to v5.0.5.8, and I can be sure that currently there is not to my knowledge (having spoken to Deron by email only the other day) that there is still no v5.1 for Amiga OS3, so I feel sure that it is a "typo"/mistake for it to be shown on your profile as that. ;-)

[UPDATE] For the info of Travis_H and anyone else who owns the OS3 v5 of PageStream - as I mentioned before
    On 13-Sep-2022, NewSense wrote:
    Hi Deron @ PageStream, I spotted on my profile that there is a registered product of PageStream v5.1 for Amiga OS3,
    but as far as I know you haven't released a version 5.1 for Amiga OS3 or have you just not told me that you have? Also, I cannot see a v5.1 for Amiga OS3 in my download profile, just the old v5.0.5.8a ! (aka NewSense)
    Reply from Deron @ PageStream
    When I bumped the version from 5.0 to 5.1, I bumped _ALL_ registrations from 5.0 to 5.1. No actual 5.1 versions exists except those you know about. Deron
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »11.09.22 - 08:40
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    I have checked the demo version on my PowerBook G4/1.67GHz. I am really impressed!

Migration to MUI is finished!
    Fonts are rendered with antialias!
    The program is much faster.
    Exporting to PDF works perfect.
    PageStream5 is really stable! I had no crashes or unexpected behaviours.

I noticed some problems with select an expandable button on toolbar.
    And BME (necessary for convert bitmap to CMYK) probably has a bug in loading JPEG images correctly.

Reincarnation of PageStream5 is really awesome! I still can’t believe that this huge work has been already finished.

Thank you for authors of PageStream and MorphOS version!
  • »11.09.22 - 20:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I'm wondering if the Pro version is worth the extra money, but so far I haven't found more specific information about it.

At the Overview page it says: "The professional version of PageStream includes a number of add ons that were sold seperately as well as advanced typographic and graphics capabilities.", but is there a list of these add-ons somewhere and do they work with the MorphOS version of the program? And do these advanced capablities affect on MorphOS?
  • »12.09.22 - 06:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I'm wondering if the Pro version is worth the extra money, but so far I haven't found more specific information about it.

At the Overview page it says: "The professional version of PageStream includes a number of add ons that were sold seperately as well as advanced typographic and graphics capabilities.", but is there a list of these add-ons somewhere and do they work with the MorphOS version of the program? And do these advanced capablities affect on MorphOS?

I don't know the direct answer to your query, but what I do know is that after you've purchased the standard version (as I did last week) you can then purchase the upgrade for the additional $50 price difference between them anyway.

If anybody does know what the Pro version adds I would like to know as well.

It also appears, although I have not tested this, that when you purchase the MorphOS version you also get access to older Amiga versions of the program, as they appear in the downloads list.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »12.09.22 - 09:35
    Cool_amigaN
    I wanted to ask the very same question that jPV did. What's the difference between the standard and pro version, assuming that both versions were updated to latest stable release?

Also, when I launched the demo it prompt for user registration (name, serial no. etc), how other users closed this window? Or it stayed opened and you just started a new project in order to test it?

Finally, the demo version we are downloading is the standard or the pro?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »12.09.22 - 12:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    The Pro version adds the TextFX, Borders 1 & 2 and Gary's Effects which originally came on floppy disks as separate authors contributions that enhanced PageStream v3 to allow their functionality to be utilised, that added onto the PageStream software. Also included are template labels, 'Quikforms' business invoice templates, along with other documents in template formats.

TextFX - allows you to make fancy text effects, like spiral shapes with words, wrap text around shapes/arcs, etc
    (see - TextFX - PageStream link
    Borders - are patterns you lay over documents like musical staves around the border of a page for a fancy certificate, etc. You can also Create Your Own Borders
    (see Borders 1 & 2 - PageStream link
    Gary's Effects - are fairly, by modern standards, image effects to enhance a document, such as, Average,  Blur,  Convolve,  Equalize, Gamma, Histogram, Hue/Saturation, Maximum, Median, Minimum, Solarize, Thresholdlike
    (see Gary's Effects - PageStream link

Here are a list of some of the templates in the Home & Office folders, there is also a DirectTemplates folder with 19 sub-folders of disk labels, a Templates folder that has those couple of Quikform templates in it, along wiitth a ZIP disk inlay printable replacement label template, CD inlay case template, Business cards template, are also included, but they may be somewhat past their sell/use by date now

PageStream/Documents/Home&Office sub-folders listed below
    School> (folder contents)
    = = = = =
    SeatingChart
    AttendanceSheet
    AnswerSheet

Miscellaneous> (folder contents)
    = = = = = = = = =
    Appointments
    PlannerWeek2
    MessageSlip
    GiftCertificate
    Envelope.No10
    ShippingLabels
    Calendar
    RoutingSlip
    AwardCertificate
    Resume
    PlannerYear
    PlannerWeek1
    Letterhead
    TelephoneLog

Home> (folder contents)
    = = = =
    ThankYouCard
    RedHall_Menu
    PrestoClassical
    PoolChemicals
    MenuPlanner
    Invitation
    HomeContentsList
    GroceryList
    ChoreList
    VideoSchedule

Office->Fax> (folder contents)
    = = = =
    Urgent
    StandardHalf
    Standard

Business> (folder contents)
    = = = = = =
    Invoice3
    Quotation
    DebitCreditMemo
    EmployeeTimeSheet
    EmploymentApplication
    PettyCashReconciliation
    OrderForm
    Agenda
    Invoice2
    Invoice4
    PurchaseOrder
    PurchaseOrderLog
    Invoice1
    DebitMemo
    QuotationRequest
    JobEstimate
    Statement
    CreditMemo
    AssetInventory
    PettyCashVoucher
    Memo
    InterOfficeMemo

Lessons> (folder contents)
    = = = = =
    Lesson-2-DotLeaders.pgs
    Lesson-1.pgs
    Biotech (learning how to use PageStream) Lesson/tutorial

I still have those original add-on (Pro) floppy disks for v3 and v4, though I also bought the Pro version of 4.1.5.6 which came on CD, as well as a few separate utilities for PageStream that weren't actually part of the Pro package, like fonts, calendars, invoices, labels and images etc..

Confirming what is in the Pro version can be found - in the PageStream 5.0 archive you should get a 5.0 Flyer document, and on the reverse of that it states:

PageStream Professional
    Of course, PageStream Pro has been updated to 5.0 as well. The first release of PageStream4.1 Pro was a collection of add ons such as TextFX, Borders1&2, Gary’s Effects, plus the standard release of Pagetream4.1. This release departs from that simple mold. Not only are the various addons part of PageStream5.0 Pro, but PageStream itself has been improved to directly appeal to the Professional users.

New in PageStream 5.0 Pro!!
    • Place PDF Objects
    Pick the page of the PDF to display, crop, mask and more!
    • Export Objects as Bitmap
    Select any number of objects, and save them as a bitmap. You pick the resolution!
    • Automatically Adjust Text Width to Justify
    Instead of simply automatically adjusting the space between letters to justify your text, PageStream can also make changes to your text width to make it fit.
    • Gradient/Radial Blend Masks for Pictures/EPS/PDF/Drawings
    No more flat masks. Now you can blend a picture into the background. Take a column of text and fade it into the background and more!
    • Path Math: Union/Add/Unique/Subtract
    Creating complex paths with PageStream has never been easier! Draw various paths, and create a new path based on the selected paths.
    • and more!

I hope this explains it better, and I haven't missed mentioning anything that is included. 8-D

I also ought to mention that I have found an issue with PageStream v5.1.2 that causes a FREEZE-LOCKUP to MorphOS if you try to generate Text Frames using the Layout> Create Text Frames menu option.

I have informed Frank Mariak/Deron Kazmaier about this issue by email. I feel I ought to mention this to any of you considering buying PageStream. I have used PageStream v4.1.5.6 for many years, and know that this issue with v5 is very debilitating for PageStream until it is fixed, which is sad to have to mention, but I feel sure Frank and Deron will resolve it, but it is currently going to pretty much make v5 very limited, compared to everyday use you can get out of PageStream v4.1.5.6 - but then you get that version to download, if you buy v5.1.2, which you can use with MorphOS, so all is not lost anyway, but it is disappointing for now, well it is for me, and I just thought it was the right thing that you all ought to know of this issue - before you buy it. :-)

I only got to test PageStream briefly before it was released by Deron (author) and soon came across a few little niggles, but I did not find this issue until this morning when I was creating my first document, as up until then I had loaded existing documents, all of which had loaded successfully. :-)

I have come across a few other issues that Frank and Deron are now aware of, but this is the most debilitating issue I have come across for now, which I hope gets fixed very soon. I trust I am not over-playing this issue, but from my experience with PageStream I would have to say that it is. :-(

Creating Text Frames with PageStream is quite fundamental as to how it works, as you usually put text into a frame to lay it out neatly, and link one to the next, right through a chapter, or an entire volume, in squares/oblongs, though you can just type onto the page space and create what is know as a text block but they are usually for sporadic sections of text like a heading or a one off image note, etc..
  • »12.09.22 - 13:37
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Also, when I launched the demo it prompt for user registration (name, serial no. etc), how other users closed this window? Or it stayed opened and you just started a new project in order to test it?

Type something as the name and you can then start it in the demo mode (the Register button changes to Demo).

Quote:

Finally, the demo version we are downloading is the standard or the pro?

It is Pro, so you can basically compare it to the standard version if you buy that first.

@NewSense
    Thank you for the comprehensive explanation! I feel that I can't skip TextFX at least, so pro it is :)
  • »12.09.22 - 14:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I also ought to mention that I have found an issue with PageStream v5.1.2 that causes a FREEZE-LOCKUP to MorphOS if you try to generate Text Frames using the Layout> Create Text Frames menu option.

This works for me. No freeze. The frames are created and can write in them.
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »12.09.22 - 16:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

emeck wrote: This works for me. No freeze. The frames are created and can write in them.

So, I've figured out why PageStream FREEZES - which is an avoidable scenario. 8-D

What seems to cause it is if you enable MUI > Menus > Enable Embedded Menu Bar then PageStream is affected and becomes unstable to cause this FREEZE process - why I don't know as yet, but I'll report it to Frank Mariak & Deron Kazmaier, though it seems like it's a "Frank" problem as he's our MUI guru for PageStream at the moment.

So, obviously don't enable that MUI Menu option for PageStream, unless you like your PageStream system 'Frozen'! :-?
  • »13.09.22 - 02:24
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    What seems to cause it is if you enable MUI > Menus > Enable Embedded Menu Bar then PageStream is affected and becomes unstable to cause this FREEZE process

The root cause must be something else, because I also have the "freeze issue", but I don't have the embedded menu bar in use.
  • »13.09.22 - 05:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    In any case this seems to be a MUI issue rather than a bug in the program itself, and it depends of your MUI config if it gets triggered or not. In my case it depends if I have the program in its own screen or not. The problematic component seems to be the Edit Palette window and hiding it hides the bug too. We'll see if the fix is done in the MUI or a work-around is found for the program.
  • »13.09.22 - 07:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    All in all, to keep this short, I can confirm that PageStream5 for MorphOs does work very well on my G5 2.3 GHz.

It's not perfect yet, but I do work with it every day, at least 8 hours per day and do very very rarely have a problem where the application freezes.

I wouldn't say that PageStream5 is very limited for now, as mentioned by NewSense, as I use it professionally in many different ways, DTP of simple full color flyer's, through brochures to big posters and light boxes, signage, etc. but also for simple stuff, such as a word processor.

IMO, PageStream5 is really a great application for MorphOS, for professional and home use, versatile in many many ways!

For sure a lot of effort and work was put into it to have it already nicely running, though even more will be needed to make it as perfect as possible. So I can just encourage everyone, use it and test it as much as possible and submit your findings.

Happy DTP to all ;-)
  • »13.09.22 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

rms wrote: It's not perfect yet, but I do work with it every day, at least 8 hours per day and do very very rarely have a problem where the application freezes.

What has caused it to freeze for you? :-?

Maybe we should all know of each and every freeze so that as many bugs can be removed, and is Deron and Frank already aware of these issues/freezes you have encountered? :-?

I should also like to thank you, and your son, for all your work with Deron and Frank to get it to where it currently is right now.

I also would like to know if you are still working on the PageStream icon/tool/gadget set and trying to improve their appearance, as some of them still need an overhaul, one in point is the "Save as PDF" as it doesn't have anything on the icon that indicates it is specifically for PDF saving as there is no usual PDF logo or graphic on it at all, and who uses a floppy disk these days anyway? :-?
    Quote:

rms wrote: I wouldn't say that PageStream5 is very limited for now, as mentioned by NewSense, as I use it professionally in many different ways, DTP of simple full color flyer's, through brochures to big posters and light boxes, signage, etc. but also for simple stuff, such as a word processor.

My comment about it being 'very limited' was based on encountering the "freeze" and not being able to find a way around it in a timely manner and so wanted other intended buyers to be aware of this pitfall, as I didn't want even MorphOS users getting stuck with PageeStream and us get to the situation that v5.0.5.8 was in for 15 years with no way forward ... until now! ;-)

My concern was that if it wasn't fixed or bypassed somehow (which I have since found a way to do for now) then it definitely would be 'very limited' as "Create Text Frames" is a very important menu option, and one that cannot simply be ignored or overlooked in day-to-day use with PageStream. :-)

Christoph, I am glad you have said something now as the silence has been 'deafening' and as you have more insight into its day-to-day use than anyone else in the MorphOS community then it is your professional use of it that should have a voice and speak up for us to know more of your findings, and what other issues there are, however minor, so that we can be aware of what might happen if we use a certain feature that is still being worked on by Frank and Deron.
    Quote:

rms wrote: IMO, PageStream5 is really a great application for MorphOS, for professional and home use, versatile in many many ways!

I agree with that, but that is when it gets to where it is running stably with no apparent "freezing" or other "lockups" occuring. 8-D
    Quote:

rms wrote: For sure a lot of effort and work was put into it to have it already nicely running, though even more will be needed to make it as perfect as possible. So I can just encourage everyone, use it and test it as much as possible and submit your findings.

You first .... if you're OK with that? :-? ... Monsieur PageStream. 8-D
    Quote:

rms wrote: Happy DTP to all ;-)

Yes, happy DTP to all of us who have 'taken the plunge' and acquired PageStream v5.1.2 for MorphOS. :lol:
  • »14.09.22 - 00:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    It seems to be more likely that the MUI Preferences option"Enhanced Display" is a cause for MorphOS"freezing" rather than my initial suspicion of the "Embedded Menu Bar" option.

There are also issues with using the "PasteBoard" (Bleed area) - which is the area surrounding (all 4 sides) of the page area. This area is intended to be used as a temporary area for images, text, etc., that may be used later in a document, but is kept out of the way while laying out other text and objects as a temporary storage measure.

Text that is typed that 'runs-off' the page that leads into the "Pasteboard" area gets rendered incorrectly which is more apparent if you zoom in/magnify in on that text, as it sometimes displays 'phantom' text over the text you have typed, sometimes running overlaid over the text you have just typed, (but that typed text is not really there), it is just PageStream misbehaving. Or you can get text that is larger, in increments as you increase the page magnification, above where you have already typed text, with both, or more 'phantom' text(s) shown if you zoom in on more than once or multiple times on that original text.

A similar issue is encountered if you use the "Transform" option of PageStream to create a text or object effect, as the repeat effects can suddenly seem to disappear entirely off the edge of the page, and if you zoom as far out as you can - 1% magnification, you may see a multitude of objects scattered about the Pasteboard area. This does not always happen, but I have encountered this issue a few times and have reported it to the developers, but have not heard back as yet as to their findings/fix.

I am just keeping other users on M-Zone aware of what I have encountered with PageStream that is not normal. 8-)
  • »30.11.22 - 22:25