• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ vox - Just so you know, Bill Panagouleas (discreetfx) is likely to be giving away for FREE :-o sometime in the next week or so, a few PageStream Pro v5.1.2 MorphOS licences to some lucky people - how he will decide who gets them I do not know, but some users are going to be lucky and get those licences for FREE ! :-o
    Quote:

vox wrote: I have tried pre 2010 latest OS3 and OS4 versions and found OS4 PGS5 Beta very unstable and unusable.

I wouldn't try ANY of the PageStream 5 versions prior to version 5.1.2, as there is way too much instability in all of those versions IMHO, that's if you can even get them to run at all for more than a few minutes/seconds. Even the current v5.1.2 Windows version has some issues reported about some inner workings it seems.

Not that the MorphOS version is bug-free, but if you enable"Enhanced Display" for the screen you use in MUI then it is extremely stable, but it does misbehave a little, very occasionally, but it doesn't crash, and you can still carry on with what you were doing usually. However, I am fortunate to have been able to report directly back to the developers for them to look into fixing the issues I have come across, which I have generally added onto this thread here, though you might have to read it all to find them. ;-)
    Quote:

vox wrote: P.S. I am looking for legal Amiga Writer or best and most modern WYSIWYG Word Processor for OS3 and MorphOS. Any suggestions, or I might use PGS and PDF export. :-D

Bear in mind that PageStream's PDF export has at least 2 issues with 1. PNGs, that are not saved correctly - they display as basically grey 'matrixed' images, and 2. text - if filled with a gradient that feature is not saved as such, and other processing has to be done to the text to modify it into a "drawing" to be able to gradient fill it, but the fill does not appear the same as displayed initially, but it is a sort-of workaround. (Issues already reported to the development team for PageStream)

Also PageStream is a Desk Top Publishing program, and not intended directly as a wordprocessor, though it is easily capable of handling such everyday tasks, but it is capable of so much more. 8-) Though if you've used Quark then you know well enough about DTP I'd assume. ;-)

For OS3 my preferred word processor was WordWorth, though many users preferred Final Writer, which is supposed to be still be being developed by terminills, but Final Writer 7 current development ... is it stalled :-? which it seems it is, See Comment #150 - currently last update unless someone else finds out to the contrary. Though that comment still hasn't been responded to since 1-Dec-2022 :-(

Development of PageStream v5 is still now continuing, for MorphOS, and also for Windows, which is amazing as its state was so dormant for about 15 years. 8-D

PageStream v5.1.2 is fairly stable, though there are a few teething issues with it, that are being worked on by the developers, which of course includes Deron Kazmaier, and also Frank Mariak from the MorphOS Development Team to iron-out some of the MUI issues and MorphOS dependencies. 8-)

Seeing as this is the first useable release of PageStream for MorphOS, though on paper there was another version, this v5.1.2 is remarkably well-behaved and stable, and seeing as there hadn't been a 'working' PageStream release for 15 years IMHO, other than the OS3 v4.1.5.6, then this may have marked a turning point in PageStream's future. At least I am a user that hopes this is going to be the case, and we seem to be a 'nose-ahead' of all the other platforms that PageStream was released for in previous years. 8-D

However, it is really fast compared to v4.1.5.6 for OS3 systems that also is included for free by Deron when anyone buys v5.1.2. PageStream v4.1.5.6 for OS3 works quite well, and a lot quicker under Trance on MorphOS than it does on 68k OS3. So, if you've got a classic Amiga system you can get the benefit of getting PageStream v4.1.5.6 for it bundled, at no extra cost, with PageStream v5.1.2 for MorphOS, which is a generous gesture by Deron Kazmaier.

If you don't already own any version of PageStream then the cost of the software is:

PageStream - Standard - USD - $99.95, EUR - €94.15, GBP - £82.08 (conversion from USD ($) is approximate)

PageStream - Professional - USD - $149.95, EUR - €141.14, GBP - £123.10 (conversion from USD ($) is approximate)

If you own specific earlier versions of PageStream then there are several options to upgrade from those to PageStream v5.1.2, so I cannot quote those prices anyway, and the prices I have quoted are only a rough estimate, a guide, as there may be other charges depending on which payment service you use to buy PageStream.

I would advocate buying the Professional version in preference to the standard one, as you get some nice features included in it that you otherwise just cannot utilise, though you can still upgrade to the professional release at a later date. :-)

So, using the latest version of PageStream is a no-brainer with regard to speed, and it generally renders documents better than it did in v4.1.5.6 as PDFs in v5.1.2, with a few niggles that are being worked on (PNGs and Gradient fills, along with a few other issues that I think I have already mentioned in this thread). 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »18.12.22 - 11:59