Topic is Locked
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    [off topic]

I've studied a little linguistics, and I found Pidgins and Creoles fascinating (because I'm very interested in man made languages like Esperanto and Toki Pona).

Pidgins are usually a mixture between different languages that occur men peoples without a common language need to communicate with each other. It's often very basic, and only covers the parts you need to understand in the context of your involvement. One such context is trade, another is slavery. The first part tends to die out in time (as there is no need to develop into a full language), the latter usually evolve into their own languages. Slaves taken from different parts of Africa couldn't understand each other and created pidgins from their own respective native languages. When they had kids, the kids took the pidgins and developed it into a full grammar and filled the word gaps. Then it becomes a creole language. Another way for a creole to evolve is when two or more peoples find themselves living in isolation from the rest of the world and need to communicate internally.

[/off topic]

[ Edited by Yasu 06.01.2014 - 18:17 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.01.14 - 18:17
    Profile Visit Website
Topic is Locked