"First Contact" AmigaOne X1000 arrives
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    @amigadave

First I want to press my thumbs that the treatment will help you and you will feel better in future. I was injured at my knee last year and know how emotional difficult it is when you see no improvement over some time (and my injury was nothing compared what happened to you).

@TrevorDick
    I know that you are a real amiga-fan and appreciate what you do for the community.

@AmigaDave
    I am right now working at a Aros 68k distribution that is merging both 68k (classic) and Aros. So the statements that 68k stays in the past is not correct anymore. And "patched" 68k like Amikit is offering huge functionality and software and Aros is fast evolving right now too.

There is a lot of polarization between Hyperion and all other camps. We all know the statements from the past (partly even not long ago by members that are speaking for Hyperion) concerning legallity of Aros and MorphOS. Or projects like "Timberwolf" treated as closed source. And that Hyperion is all developing closed source and always reinventing the wheels to be not compatible to the others (my personal view) does not show much openness either. So when Hyperion want a change of attitude from the other camps they have to change their behavior and f.e. open parts of their source and using standards that are established on all other platforms. They have to do the first step.
  • »24.02.12 - 10:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I think it's called "wishfull thinking" ;-)
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »24.02.12 - 11:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    Hey, wait a minute... I was reading this post, and I was away for a while (BTW, my user was DELETED!!! How often do I have to post not to be deleted?) and I saw some comments about MorphOS3.0 beta???

It's available for download? I was almost selling my Powerbook 1.67 and just gave up on a Powermac G5 2.5 QUAD for R$ 400! (~ 250 USD) today...
  • »24.02.12 - 22:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I saw some comments about MorphOS3.0 beta???
    > It's available for download?

No.
  • »24.02.12 - 22:18
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    cha05e90
    OlafSch,
    Quote:

So when Hyperion want a change of attitude from the other camps they have to change their behavior and f.e. open parts of their source and using standards that are established on all other platforms. They have to do the first step.

Really? Which standards? And...why? And if Hyperion - in contrast to all others - doesn't have any standard that is established on "all other platforms" then what exactly would like to see open sourced?
    II/G4
  • »24.02.12 - 22:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    Andreas_Wolf,

:) I love that treatment...
    What am I doing here, gosh!
  • »24.02.12 - 22:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I love that treatment...

What treatment?

> What am I doing here

As fas as I can see, you asked a question and got a truthful answer.
  • »24.02.12 - 22:39
    boot_wb
    @muffie

MorphOS 3.0 was expected (by us mere users at least) to be released by the end of 2011. Betas have been demoed, but are not available publicly. There's been no official indication yet from MorphOS team as to when it will finally be released ("when it's done"?), but hopefully soon. My Powerbook awaits, chugging heavily away under the weight of OSX.

It's expected to bring support for some G4 Powerbooks (1.67GHz should all be supported), but not for your G5 :-)

Andreas will happily supply some relevant links (or at least links to relevant links) if asked.

Welcome back.

Rich

[ Edited by boot_wb 24.02.2012 - 22:45 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »24.02.12 - 23:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @OlafSch,

First thanks for the well wishes for my health.

Where did you get the idea that Hyperion wants any users to change their attitude?

I hope it was not from this thread, as I certainly do not speak for Hyperion and no one from Hyperion has posted to this thread so far (and I doubt they ever will).

Please don't confuse my ranting because I want MorphOS users to stop making negative comments about any other platforms, or hardware, because I have this idea that it pushes a few potential new users and developers away from using, or writing software for MorphOS, with anything else from any company or person.

I am just an old man with a passion for all things related to the Amiga who wants to see the community grow again. All parts of it.

@muffle,

Welcome back. Also, keep that 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook for MorphOS3.0. When it comes out and is released for download and purchase, it is going to be great.

[ Edited by amigadave 24.02.2012 - 23:20 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.02.12 - 08:15
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    @boot_wb - Really thanks for your response.
    About the G5, I was saying that I almost bought one. I thought that U$250 for a quad 2.5 was a real bargain, but then I thought that running Leopard (and it's applications) WAY FASTER was not too appealing! :)

@Amigadave
    I'll keep my Pbook anyway, and I really hope these "couple of weeks" don't take too much. I know it's kind-of a hobby for everyone, so, no commitments with deadlines, but a free-open to all beta program wouldn't hurt I think...

[ Edited by muffie 25.02.2012 - 05:05 ]
  • »25.02.12 - 09:02
    hooligan
    Quote:

Hey, wait a minute... I was reading this post, and I was away for a while (BTW, my user was DELETED!!! How often do I have to post not to be deleted?)

Almost never. Under what username you were registered?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.02.12 - 11:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Under what username you were registered?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7910&forum=9&start=3 ;-)
  • »25.02.12 - 12:50
    hooligan
    Strange. Nothing about it on our private moderatorforum. We're sorry for all the trouble, lets hope it doesn't happen again :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.02.12 - 13:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @muffle,

I don't know what the policy is for becoming a beta tester, but remember seeing lots of people wanting to be beta testers for any PowerBook version of MorphOS and members of the MorphOS Dev. Team replying that they do not need any more beta testers right now.

$250 US dollars for a Quad Core 2.5GHz G5 PowerMac is a very good price for the amount of performance you are getting. It also makes for a good heating device for your home or apartment during the winter months. I paid a little more than that for my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac about a year ago and I like it very much. I use it more than I use my quad core extreme 3.0GHz Windows PC.

I hope that MorphOS eventually gets ported to a few G5 Mac computer models some day, but I have no idea if it will ever happen. I think the G5 PowerMac's and G5 iMac's are nice target computers for MorphOS to run on, but then I am biased.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.02.12 - 16:25
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well you all know I agree with David on this.
    But there are some distinct advantages to taking this direction.
    Most of our current video cards will work or can be made to work in a G5.
    Lower end models even have PCI slots that would accommodate our other cards.
    And the high end model have PCI-X expansion slots that operate at four times the speed of a PCI slot.

BTW - I've been running some benchmarks on the R400 series of video cards on my PC.
    They perform surprising close to the HD4650 I have on hand.
    And I'm trying to convince someone I know to create a custom BIOS for the PCIe G5 models so that we wouldn't have to move above R400 support.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.02.12 - 19:21
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    Interesting if I had the cash lying around, which I don't. Furthermore, what the A1000 offered in 1985 for $1500 was waay beyond what any other platform offered at that time. Not the case here.

I just built a sub-$500 dual-core AMD-based HTPC with blueray, USB3, 8GB 1333 DDR3 dual-channel ram, 750GB HD, eSATA, HDMI, linux/xbmc, etc. I could build 5 or 6 of these for what the X1000 costs. Of course, I wouldn't have Xena.. :(

I understand what "limited edition" means, and what economies of scale can do to hardware prices. But, are they actually expecting to sell many of these?

[ Edited by MrZoon 15.03.2012 - 10:51 ]
    MrZoon ~8
  • »15.03.12 - 17:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    MrZoon,
    Quote:

..are they actually expecting to sell many of these?

Of course not.
    In fact, I doubt they have that many PA6T processors.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.03.12 - 20:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=437

> http://www.amigakit.com/x1000/order.php
    > I added a HDD and OS4.1.5 and got the price UKP £1.857 = USD $2.935 =
    > EUR €2.220. People have mentioned the $3.000 price tag all over the net,
    > so it seems about right. Then I noticed the text "Price in GBP excluding
    > shipping/handling/taxes & payment processing costs", and I thought WHAT?!

More recent (pre-)order page:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1071
  • »20.03.13 - 11:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

> More recent (pre-)order page:
    > http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1071

Now also board-only:

http://www.a-eon.com/18-10-2013-5.pdf
    http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1160
    http://www.amigakit.com/nemo
  • »22.10.13 - 10:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Addendum:

> More recent (pre-)order page:
    > http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1071

Now also board-only:

http://www.a-eon.com/18-10-2013-5.pdf
    http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1160

TWO GRAND for a motherboard!?!?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »22.10.13 - 14:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > TWO GRAND for a motherboard!?!?

There's no surprise to that. If you take the well known X1000 system price and subtract what case, graphics card, RAM, HDD and optical drive are worth, that's where you arrive at.
  • »22.10.13 - 15:07
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

There's no surprise to that. If you take the well known X1000 system price and subtract what case, graphics card, RAM, HDD and optical drive are worth, that's where you arrive at.

Exactly. Its even more affordable since you can get rest of the components by your choice in local stores and lifts down P&P price of heavy X1000 package. Sadly I ve got one before board was avail.

Surely, currently most expensive board in the universe.

And as far as we have read Cyrus won`t be cheaper.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »13.08.14 - 13:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I am replying some months later, but I doubt the price increased since the post I am replying to.

It isn't two grand, it is THREE GRAND for a motherboard which under performs a $30 Raspberry Pi.

1775 British Pound Sterling equals
    2965.49 US Dollar

That is before shipping.

Nuttier than a fruitcake. But hey, a sucker is born every day is what P. T. Barnum (allegedly) used to say.

[ Edited by redrumloa 13.08.2014 - 06:46 ]
  • »13.08.14 - 14:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

It isn't two grand, it is THREE GRAND for a motherboard which under performs a $30 Raspberry Pi.

No, the X1000 is a little faster than the Raspberry.

When it comes to video decoding/encoding the GPU is doing that. You can do the same with any GFX card, too. cyfm demoed once video decoding (pure sattelite transport stream) using a Radeon 9250 inside an Efika.

Geit
  • »13.08.14 - 14:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @geit

Is it a difficult solution? I would love Mplayer to be able to do that with my weaker computers :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »13.08.14 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website