"First Contact" AmigaOne X1000 arrives
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    After some delay due to FedEX failing to follow Customs Clearance procedures properly, my "First Contact" AmigaOne X1000 computer finally arrived a couple days ago.

The box looked like FedEX had dropped it out of the plane at their distribution facility and then drug it behind the truck, instead of putting it inside the truck to make the delivery. I guess all those YouTube videos showing FedEX employees trashing people's packages are really true. Some of you may have already seen my posts about this on other sites, so I won't bore you by repeating my rant here. I will just say that the X1000 was packed very well, but no amount of packaging would have been sufficient to withstand the abuse that this package received.

Try to imagine the force necessary to bend a drive cage that has a heavy rolled edge, simply with the G force created on the internal hard drive, when this package was dropped (or more likely thrown) to the ground. This happened even though the computer was doubled boxed and the interior box was supplied with thick polystyrene foam inserts on all corners of the computer case. If I had not seen it myself, I would not have believed it possible. It looked like someone had opened the boxes, opened the case side panel and stepped on the hard drive with their foot, dislocating it, bending the drive cage and also dislocating the video card out of it's slot.

Unbelievable!

Anyway, luckily the X1000 still works properly and AmigaKit has already agreed to replace the case with a new one, while they are working out the insurance claim with FedEX. They are the best retailer I have ever dealt with PERIOD! Not just the best Amiga retailer, the best of any retailer/dealers I have ever had the pleasure of buying anything from.

Benchmarks are good for knowing some things, but I have to say that this X1000 with OS4.1.5 is a nice system. I am sure that I will experience some of it's limitations as I use it more, but my initial impression is a good one and I look forward to using it more in the future, as well as enjoying my other MorphOS computers and comparing the performance and features of both systems against each other.

More comparisons and maybe benchmarks to follow in the weeks and months ahead.

Disclaimer: X1000 is not for everyone and it is very expensive (but I am glad I bought mine and I am sure I will enjoy using it).

[ Edited by amigadave 19.02.2012 - 12:24 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »19.02.12 - 21:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DanicaTalos
    Congratulation! :-)
    iBook G4 - 14" -1,42 GHz - 32MB VRAM - 1,5GB RAM - 60GB mSata - MorphOS 3.18
  • »19.02.12 - 21:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Very cool David.
    Keep us informed about how things go.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.02.12 - 21:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    amigadave,
    Quote:

Disclaimer: X1000 is not for everyone and it is very expensive (but I am glad I bought mine and I am sure I will enjoy using it).

Not for everyone? Just for the choosen ones? (except beta testers) or how is it?
  • »20.02.12 - 04:07
    hooligan
    @Kickstart
    I think he meant that for its price vs performance there should be more reasons to buy it except for a workhorse. Say, love for the hobby or big interest in more exotic hardware.. etc.

@Amigadave
    Too bad the product wasn't handled correctly, seems to be quite common at fedz. Enjoy :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »20.02.12 - 05:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    Amigadave, would you go to bend & press some employers with me, using a steamroller?
    I've had similar experience in the past and I'm a little bit anger, still...
    Thanking the Gods the X1000 mobo wasn't damaged!!
    Have a big fun with this machine and let us know how feel this experience!!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »20.02.12 - 06:45
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    AltiVeced
    Amigadave, give Linux a try, please!
  • »20.02.12 - 12:11
    Miky060
    Is there a linux distro that runs on the X1000 already!?

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »20.02.12 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    AltiVeced,
    Quote:

Amigadave, give Linux a try, please!

That would be interesting David.
  • »20.02.12 - 16:05
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Aramon
    Congratulation.
    Mythana das kostenlose Browser-Rollenspiel: http://www.mythana.de
  • »20.02.12 - 22:10
    Profile Visit Website
    stephen_robinson
    Debian Squeeze runs on the X1000.
  • »20.02.12 - 22:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    What do the system go for? I don't see it listed for sale yet on the AmigaKit site.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »21.02.12 - 00:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    stephen_robinson,
    Quote:

Debian Squeeze runs on the X1000.

As this isn't the most recent release, how much work is required to get it installed?
  • »21.02.12 - 00:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I think Trevor Dickinson is working on a document that explains how to set up the X1000's boot loader with OS4.x and Debian Squeeze.

Since I have not used Linux too much, and I am not real experienced with tweaking different boot loading mechanisms, I will probably wait for this document to be released, before I try to install Debian Squeeze on my X1000. There will probably be lots of other owners of the X1000 that will post information & YouTube videos of their X1000's running Linux, before I do.

I will probably install Debian Squeeze just to see what it is like, but I already have a PPC Ubuntu for my G4 MorphOS computers and even have it installed on my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, so I am not that interested in running it on my X1000.

I know that a lot of MorphOS users want to see comparisons of the X1000 running Linux against my dual 2.7GHz G5 running the same Linux and the same tests, benchmarks, or applications, or even comparing the X1000 against 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz & 2.0GHz G4 PowerMac's running the same Linux distro, so they will have more ammunition to debunk the few OS4 users who foolishly stated in the past that the X1000 with it's PA6T was going to "wipe the floor" with any used Mac G4, or G5 hardware.

Hoping for those tests and benchmarks to be shown that clearly show that the G5 is superior to the PA6T, just to throw it back into the faces of most OS4.x users, is just a waste of time in my mind, and I have no interest is such comparisons. I already know that MorphOS more efficient than OS4.x in most ways. Comparing the X1000's PA6T against any G5 system is useless, specially when we don't know if the MorphOS Dev. Team is ever going to support any G5 Mac models.

If it would make any difference to the MorphOS Dev. Team in making up their minds about supporting the G5 PowerMac, if myself (or other owners of X1000's) were to provide benchmarks and test results of the X1000 compared to any G5 PowerMac, then I would provide some immediately, but I don't think that is going to have any effect on their decision to support the G5's or not.

None of us know what the MorphOS Dev. Team is thinking when it comes to support for any of the G5's, but I am pretty sure they are not thinking about it too much until all the work on the G4 PowerBook's is finished.

In my opinion, the number one concern for the MorphOS Dev. Team is how they can get more users and specially more developers to write software for, or port existing software to, the MorphOS platform. We already have a lot of good (used) hardware to run MorphOS on now and support for the G4 PowerBook will be the icing on top of the cake when it is finished. They have done a good job so far and by improving the MorphOS SDK, they have already taken a step in the right direction toward making things easier for developers to write code for, or port code to MorphOS. There was a hint from Fab at one of the shows in Europe somewhere that when MorphOS3.0 is released, there will be a price reduction for new registrations for all models except the G4 PowerBook's (hope I got that right). That will be a second step toward hopefully enticing a few more users to register their MorphOS compatible G4 Mac computers, in addition to the many users that will jump on board by registering G4 PowerBook's, so they can enjoy the first portable MorphOS computer.

In truth, I can't find any faults in 99.9% of the decisions that the MorphOS Dev. Team has made over the last several years. They have followed a very good roadmap and made the right choices for years now, so I expect that they will continue to do more of the same. I can't say that I am equally impressed by the decisions that the OS4.x developers have made, but they are making some progress and OS4.x is better than it was a few years ago. The 0.1% that I might disagree with the MorphOS Dev. Team is that maybe they have not done all they could have done to promote MorphOS to more potential users in a friendly way that might have gotten them some more users, but that is highly subjective, and I am not sure exactly what they could have done, or should have done that would have yielded better results, so I am in no position to criticize them and just wish that we had more users and developers.

The hardware choices are the most obvious differences between both groups and the MorphOS Dev. Team definitely made the better of choices in that area. Due to MorphOS having the earlier start and many of the key people behind most of the best components of AmigaOS3.x, like CyberGraphX and other parts, it has always had, and should continue to have an edge in many areas over OS4.x. But, still OS4.x continues to maintain a user base that supports them (no matter the cost, or the advantages that MorphOS might have) and the numbers of users for either camp are probably not significantly different for either group. They both probably have between 700 to 1500 users (each), which is dangerously small to sustain a platform, but both appear to be growing slowly at this moment in time, which is better than shrinking.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. It seems that I can't stop myself when ever there is an opportunity to repeat my ideas that OS4 bashing only hurts our chances of getting more MorphOS users. I wish more MorphOS users would understand that fact and think about what they are doing before posting certain messages. Former and current AmigaOS3.x AND a fraction of the current OS4.x users are our best potential source of new MorphOS users, so trashing OS4 in public forums only makes MorphOS and it's users look bad and turns off many potential new MorphOS users (and developers that I have communicated with) from even looking at MorphOS as a possible choice that they would use, or develop for.

I want to see MorphOS succeed and grow as much as anyone else, but I don't believe that discrediting OS4.x will ever have a positive effect toward gaining more MorphOS users, unless it is done in the most sensitive and non-offensive way possible. Everything else posted against OS4.x that is offensive, or insulting, even though it also presents objective facts showing advantages of MorphOS over OS4.x, actually hurts MorphOS more than it hurts OS4.x. I wish the few MorphOS users that enjoy posting messages that belittle OS4 and it's users could understand that concept.

[ Edited by amigadave 20.02.2012 - 16:40 ]
  • »21.02.12 - 01:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Acill,

For someone who has previously complained about the price to register MorphOS2.x and who apparently still has not done so for the 1.5GHz G4 MDD PowerMac in your signature here, I seriously doubt you will be interested in paying the $3,000+/- U.S. dollars it takes to purchase an AmigaOne X1000 computer system from AmigaKit. People concerned about price vs performance numbers are not likely candidates to purchase an X1000 either. People that prefer MorphOS over OS4.x probably won't want to spend that much money for a computer that is designed and manufactured primarily for only one purpose and that purpose is to run OS4.x.

I have no idea of what the price will be for the next production run of X1000's or when they will be offered for sale. The "First Contact" X1000 production run was sold out in less than 36 hours from the time it was announced that they were accepting pre-orders for them.

When AmigaKit and A-Eon are ready to produce another run of X1000's, they will announce how and where you can submit your interest in buying one. Last time, for the "First Contact" X1000's, there was a separate webpage for this purpose and the X1000 was not listed for sale on the regular AmigaKit Store website. They might do the same thing again with the next production run, who knows?

It is also not known how many people tried to purchase one of the "First Contact" X1000 systems that were not successful in getting their orders in during those first 36 hours, or less (except to AmigaKit, who received the orders), so it is hard to gauge how fast the second X1000 production run for public sale will sell out when it is announced, or if it will sell out? If anyone is serious about getting an X1000, I would suggest that you get your order in to AmigaKit as quickly as possible, after the next announcement is made saying that they are again available for sale.

I doubt many people here on this forum will be ordering an X1000 though. (which is understandable)
  • »21.02.12 - 02:02
    matt3
    Congrats on the X1000, sounds like you enjoy it greatly... Which is great!

I agree that we shouldn't start flame wars and bashing AOS. I'm not at all interested in purchasing AOS and playing, but I'm certainly not going to slam anyone who takes a risk and dumps their own money to create something.

Sounds like your enjoying the hobby and fun aspect of computers, my life doesn't permit time for that. I have a family with kids, and with the bad economy and work, I barely get time with my Peg to check email and do financial reports.

Have fun David...

Matt
  • »21.02.12 - 12:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What do the system go for? I don't see it listed for sale yet
    > on the AmigaKit site.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=437
  • »21.02.12 - 15:14
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

Try to imagine the force necessary to bend a drive cage that has a heavy rolled edge, simply with the G force created on the internal hard drive, when this package was dropped (or more likely thrown) to the ground.

Amigadave, I've received heavily-damaged packages before, in one case so heavily damaged that I momentarily suspected malice, like bored workers playing kick the can with the package and laughing it up while the contents shattered more and more, but I decided it was probably the sorting machines malfunctioning, and maybe that's what happened to your shipment too. Too bad about the case, the X1000 has a distinctive one. Darth Vader.

I am not that interested in benchmarks, but I wish you'd tell us just what you are able to do with the X1000. So far in that regard that I can tell you've said little more than "my initial impression is a good one." What apps did you get with? Are you on the Internet with it yet? How's the responsiveness? Those specs should make it super-fast but there's obviously more to user experience than that. How's the stability?

I think most MorphOS users by now regard OS4 as a sister OS, as I do. It's not a zero-sum game as far as user base numbers are concerned. If OS4 or AROS or some other Amiga-like system does better, MorphOS benefits indirectly I think, and vice versa. A rising tide lifts all boats. Gotta give props especially to these A-EON guys. New hardware! I said the same about the SAM systems. Man, the OS4 authors have to keep up with a lot of systems now, I had forgotten there're a Pegasos 2 version and PPC-accelerated classic Amiga versions.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »21.02.12 - 15:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Too bad about the case, the X1000 has a distinctive one.

If they're smart they'll send a new front door and buy the Fractal Design case locally. There's no point in sending the commonly available case overseas.
  • »21.02.12 - 16:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

> What do the system go for? I don't see it listed for sale yet
    > on the AmigaKit site.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=437

http://www.amigakit.com/x1000/order.php

I added a HDD and OS4.1.5 and got the price UKP £1.857 = USD $2.935 = EUR €2.220. People have mentioned the $3.000 price tag all over the net, so it seems about right. Then I noticed the text "Price in GBP excluding shipping/handling/taxes & payment processing costs", and I thought WHAT?!

How much is the shipping cost of a machine like that one? I mean, it must weight *a ton*? $100? $200? And handling costs and payment processing costs? And at least Europeans must pay the 20% UK VAT, meaning a total cost of, what, USD $3.800 / EUR €2.800?

:-o :-o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:yell: :boo:
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.02.12 - 16:48
    Simon
    I always hear people complaining about the cost of the X1000 ... but how is that important if you want to use an Amigalike OS ?

There are different options these days and you can choose what you can afford. Going from "zero-euro" used hardware to +2500 euro brand new exotic hardware....
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »21.02.12 - 18:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    @amigadave
    Quote:

I know that a lot of MorphOS users want to see comparisons of the X1000 running Linux against my dual 2.7GHz G5 running the same Linux and the same tests, benchmarks, or applications, or even comparing the X1000 against 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz & 2.0GHz G4 PowerMac's running the same Linux distro, so they will have more ammunition to debunk the few OS4 users who foolishly stated in the past that the X1000 with it's PA6T was going to "wipe the floor" with any used Mac G4, or G5 hardware.

Hoping for those tests and benchmarks to be shown that clearly show that the G5 is superior to the PA6T, just to throw it back into the faces of most OS4.x users, is just a waste of time in my mind, and I have no interest is such comparisons.

You know if the X1000 performed as originally hyped, the OS4 crowd would be crowing how superior it is to "ghetto hardware" Power Mac. It was Trevor himself who made the ghetto hardware remark.
  • »22.02.12 - 04:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Piru,

Quote:

If they're smart they'll send a new front door and buy the Fractal Design case locally. There's no point in sending the commonly available case overseas.

That is an excellent idea! I will contact AmigaKit and suggest that solution, as the front of the case is undamaged. They can save on the cost of shipping such a heavy case, which came to about $66, IIRC.

It will depend on the difference in wholesale cost that they can obtain it for, compared to the retail cost they can buy it locally for, plus the cost of shipping the case locally to my house.

It might not pencil out as any cheaper, but it is worth looking into. Thanks!
  • »22.02.12 - 05:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @redrumloa,

I am a little surprised that Trevor made that remark, but can't blame him too much, since he was trying to market his own product. Knowing what I do of him, the "ghetto" remark seems a little strange, as I know how much he enjoys using his own MorphOS system(s). He might have an aversion to Apple products, like a few other long time Amiga users, who knows?

I also agree that the users who had grand expectations of the performance that they thought the X1000 was going to provide, would now be very loud and active on the forums, if the performance numbers were closer to their unrealistic expectations, but it is only a handful that were making those unrealistic predictions and I think that all of them were people that had nothing to do with the actual design, or marketing of the X1000.

I take such wild predictions with more than a "grain of salt" and mostly ignore them anyway. But I get your point. That does not mean that it is okay to act just as foolishly in the opposite direction, by making such a big deal with benchmark results. Doing that (specially in the wrong way, or with the wrong tone and added insults), does not help the MorphOS cause in gaining any new users, and in my opinion, it hurts our cause a lot, and keeps many potential users from giving MorphOS a chance and taking a good objective look at it.
  • »22.02.12 - 06:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Velcro_SP,

The reason I have not reported more about my X1000, is because I have only been able to use it for two very short periods of time, due to my back condition currently preventing me from sitting in a chair at a desk. I have been confined to my bed about 95% of the time for the past few months and my condition has worsened considerably after my last test 3 weeks ago.

I can answer the following questions:

Quote:

What apps did you get with?

I have not had a chance to look through everything yet, but it appears that the installation does not have too many third party software packages installed. It has 2 or 3 web browsers, including OWB (not the MUI version) and IBrowse, plus it might have another one, Net-something, I can't remember the name. It has several utilities, including DOpus (version 4 I think) and my favorite file manager from when I was using my original Amigas over 20 years ago, DiskMaster2! Like I said, I have used it so little so far, I have not had time to look through all of the directories to see everything that is pre-installed yet.

Quote:

Are you on the Internet with it yet?

Yes, I was on the Internet within minutes of turning it on. IIRC, All I needed to do was plug in the Ethernet cable and start any of the provided web browsers. If any configuration is required, AmigaKit must have done it before they shipped the X1000 to me.

Quote:

How's the responsiveness? Those specs should make it super-fast but there's obviously more to user experience than that. How's the stability?

It is very responsive, but then I have not yet run anything that would be considered a demanding application, other than the beta version of Timberwolf, that I downloaded and installed, to test out the latest version of it. Timberwolf has a problem with my keyboard that I need to work out, as the keymap appears to be mixed up only when running Timberwolf. All of the vowels I type are displayed with accents above them, which screws up entries into the URL and search fields and makes it impossible to really test, until I figure out what is wrong.

I have also downloaded and installed the MUI version of OWB, but not done much else in the few minutes that I have forced myself to sit at my desk (which I then pay for with increased pain for several hours). I would guess that I have less than 2 hours total time so far in front of my X1000, over a three day period of time.

Hopefully I will get some better pain relief tomorrow, when I go to see my primary doctor. Already switched to pure Morphine tablet (time released) last week, instead of Morphine/Acetamenaphen combination that I was on previously. I will be asking for the addition of Neurontin and possibly another pain medication tomorrow, to increase the effectiveness of the time released tablets for more immediate relief of pain to get me over the edge periodically, and allow the time released medication to provide the needed relief the rest of the time. Being unable to sit up or stand up for more than 10 minutes at a time, or a total of less than 40 to 60 minutes per day, is driving me insane. It is like being in prison, but the prison is my own body.

This may explain why my favorite movie is Avatar! 8-)

Edit: Also should explain why I am so desperate to get wireless networking to work on my G4 PowerBook, so I can run MorphOS3.0 beta, instead of using MacOSX all the time, while I am trapped in this bed. (I can run two Mac computers with MacOSX on one sharing it's Internet connection of Airport origin, with my G4 PowerBook running MorphOS3.0 beta and an Ethernet cable between them, but I hate running two computers and wasting electricity that way, just so I can use MorphOS3.0 beta, when I know that there is a solution that is being used by a few, if not all, of the MorphOS Developers, on their own G4 PowerBooks. I already bothered some of them more than I wanted to to obtain the needed files to get wireless networking setup on my G4 PowerBook, but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work, so now I am just waiting like the rest of you for the official release of MorphOS3.0, and hoping that it will include a working and stable version of the wireless networking for the already announced wireless CardBus NIC's.

Don't take this as a complaint, I am waiting patiently for the official 3.0 release. I just wanted to explain why it is so important to me, and why I pushed so hard earlier, when I was trying to obtain the files needed to make it work, even though the Dev. Team was not done working on them. It will be done, when it is done and when it is right. That is the strength of the MorphOS Dev. Team and their excellent track record of releasing very stable versions of MorphOS, as each version is finished and released. I can't blame them for that policy and give them great credit for always sticking to those high standards of excellence.

[ Edited by amigadave 21.02.2012 - 21:54 ]
  • »22.02.12 - 06:37