• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Megander,

I agree! I have no problem with MorphOS users stating the advantages of MorphOS and the hardware that it runs on in a clear and non-offensive way. The problem, as I see it, is that too often, those statements are stated in an offensive, or belittling manner that is meant to insult and infuriate OS4 users, or only X1000 owners.

I would guess that most of those type of posts would not even get submitted, if the person posting them stopped before they clicked the submit button and asked themselves what the purpose of their post was and honestly answered that question to themselves and if the answer was to humiliate, or anger, or make fun of, etc., any or all of the OS4 users and fans, they would stop themselves.

Very few of the posts are informational only or simply educational, without prejudice, or malicious intent. The point I am trying to make is that if the intent is to inform potential OS4 and MorphOS users of the objective differences between the two choices, to help them choose a cheaper and faster alternative of MorphOS, IT ISN'T WORKING! I think it is doing the opposite in 90%+ of those posts, and since I am a big fan of MorphOS and want it to grow a larger user base and more developers, I am trying to point out the counter productivity of such actions.

There are better ways to present these differences and make MorphOS a more attractive and practical choice, but all of us need to realize that to many people, none of the arguments or facts will ever make any difference with a certain group of users who have already made up their minds regarding which choice to make, so there is zero point in arguing with those people, and doing so in public only makes everyone look bad and hurts the chances of gaining more MorphOS users just as much (or more) than it hurts the chances of an increase of OS4 users.

My view is that promotion of MoprhOS does not have to include any negative effects toward OS4's future existence. It does not have to be a "This, or That" confrontation. It can be a "This and/or That", "Live and let Live" philosophy, or state of mind. MorphOS is good enough to succeed on it's own merits, without needing to attack any other choices. That mind set will lead to a better future for MorphOS. I am sure of it.

Edit: If you can remove yourself from the equation, and look at if from the outside, or better yet, if you can reverse the situation, it is easy to see why some of the OS4 fans and enthusiasts have become ultra sensitive to any criticism, or comparisons of their OS of choice. They are bombarded daily with the same arguments and criticisms and jabs of ridicule toward their preferred OS and/or hardware choices. Anyone might respond with hostility after a while under the same conditions. They have made their choice and have also decided that they do not wish to switch choices. The reasons for those decisions are irrelevant to them, so it does not matter what you say to them, they are not going to switch horses in mid-stream. Now that I have made the conscious decision to add OS4.x to my stable of Amiga inspired hobbies, it is easier to see why some OS4.x users have become so sensitive (or religiously fanatic) about their choices. I don't condone the level of some of their reactions, but I can better understand them now.

Do you really want to argue religious beliefs with anyone? It is sort of the same thing and needs to be approached with about as much care and forethought to have any chance of success. In this instance, is it really worth the effort required, or is what 90%+ of the MorphOS users who post about OS4.x and it's hardware, are doing just an entertainment to insult, ridicule, and make fun of people that have made different choices than they have?

[ Edited by amigadave 21.02.2012 - 22:28 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.02.12 - 07:13