• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    The G5 Mac's will make really kicka$$ MorphOS systems, if they decide to do the port (which I hope they will). If they decide to do some kind of AMP for MorphOS later, the dual and quad core G5's will probably be even more impressive. Since the G5 is 64bit, it might give the developers an opportunity to start thinking about and playing with 64bit enhancements to more parts of the OS and some applications, before any switch to a different platform. Mostly, it gives the Dev. Team more time to make the switch from PPC to a different platform. That way we will have a more advanced and faster PPC during the time it takes to complete such a huge task as switching to x86 and/or ARM.

Maybe by the time G5 support is finished and the team is ready to start working on a different platform, enough progress will be made on AROS that will make it more attractive for them to merge with AROS, or become a separate branch of AROS on x86 & ARM.

I don't know how much of the AROS code the MorphOS Dev. Team can use for a future version of MorphOS for x86, or ARM, without the Open Source licensing requirements becoming a problem for them to remain closed source and commercial. I also don't know how important it is for the MorphOS Dev. Team to remain closed source and commercial. Maybe they aren't that stuck on the idea of staying commercial and closed source in the future, since they are not really in this for the money anyway. I mean it is not like they are trying to make MorphOS into a high income company, or it does not seem that way to me. If it some how happened, I am sure they would all be happy to quit their regular jobs and work on MorphOS full time for a good salary, but how likely is that to happen?

[ Edited by amigadave 04.02.2012 - 23:17 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.02.12 - 08:14