• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Just to clear up Jim's misconception that I think that these CPU's are anything other than what he thinks they are, I would like to state clearly that I don't know what they are and believe his "speculation" that they are most likely to be rebadged slower Motorola parts.

Again, for the sake of repetition and clarity, the only point I was trying to make is that there is no proof what they are and I find it amusing how much speculation Jim and Andreas do on this site. It appears to be one of their favorite activities, and there is nothing wrong with it, but I don't accept as fact their conclusions, when they do not have concrete proof to back up their speculative guesses.

In the interest of helping them out I have sent the following emails to half a dozen MC68060FE133 suppliers, in an attempt to find more information about the origin of these CPU chips.

"Attention (insert name of company representative),

I am interested in purchasing "MC68060FE133" CPU's, which (insert company name here) are listed as suppliers of, but I need more information regarding these chips. I have been unable to confirm these part numbers from the Motorola/Freescale parts databases, and the current Freescale representatives cannot confirm the origin of these CPU parts, as they do not appear to be original Motorola, or Freescale parts.

Could you please send me the technical specifications of these CPU parts and confirm their original manufacturer. My project requirements include the need for both the MMU and FPU being included within this CPU design, so this must be confirmed prior to making a purchase agreement. Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
    David W. Morris
    Efficient by Design"

We shall see what kind of responses are sent to me within the next week or two. There are dozens of suppliers listed for the MC68060FE133 part number. Some suppliers have a few hundred chips in stock and a couple claim to have over 10,000 in stock. If those numbers are true and accurate, what is more likely, that they are rebadged chips, or that they are clones of the 68060 design? Over 90% of the suppliers appear to be Chinese companies, which would support the possibility that these chips might be Chinese manufactured clones, as minator suggested. It would also make sense that when cloning the 68060, it would be easier to create a clone without the MMU and FPU included in the cloned chip, as it would be that much less work to create a quick clone of only the rest of the 68060's design, without the MMU and FPU, than it would be to include them, or perhaps the cloning process was faulty and the MMU and FPU just do not work. Lots of possibilities, but who knows if we will ever know which ones are correct? At this point it is all "speculation and guesses".

[ Edited by amigadave 05.06.2011 - 17:36 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.06.11 - 01:14