ARM for the future?
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    No amount of nay-saying changes the Pi's popularity.

Would you care to point out the comment that this is referring to?

Quote:

The fact that it's marketed and made headway as a learning tool for new programmers should underscore its relevance to this community.

Link: http://www.alphr.com/news/education/380374/most-raspberry-pi-computers-bought-by-adults-not-kids

Quote:

"The reason we've sold so many of these is largely is that they've sold to technology capable adults more than they've sold to kids," Upton said. "We think only 10-20%, maybe 30% of the ones we sold have ended up in the hands of kids."
  • »28.11.15 - 08:23
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    iPad Pro is getting some good numbers:

http://wccftech.com/apple-a9xipad-pro-benchmarks/

This is truly amazing! :-o

You might want to read this...

Link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006268/tablets/tested-why-the-ipad-pro-really-isnt-as-fast-a-laptop.html

Quote:

I am certain that Apple could today (if they wanted to) produce a proper desktop/laptop CPU of their own based on their ARM based designs.

They could. But what would be the point? Apple´s mobile chips are being manufactured tens of millions of times each and often reused for several product types. Apple´s computer division, on the other hand, has much, much, much lower sales volumes, yet offers a substantially bigger variety of CPU options so the business case is very different with regard to custom CPUs for Macs than it is for Apple´s phones and tablets.

The technical possibility of switching to ARM is a nice option to have since you can leverage it to get better pricing from Intel but that is about all it is at this time and it is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Quote:

Though this particular HW is very limited (unless expanded with a couple of add-ons for several (at least!) dollars ;-) ), it sure is a statement that nobody can ignore! Also if you look at it in some kind of future perspective.

What statement would that be? "The race to the bottom is alive and well, so let´s all cheer for it?"

Quote:

When looking at Raspberry as a company and as products, where will they go from here, from the current offerings they have? I think it's quite possible that they, strengthened by their growing trade mark, will diversify "upwards" in the future. In other words, not only offering tiny, limited circuit boards, but perhaps also more like traditional computer products like laptops and maybe even some kind of "computer in a keyboard" (or in a monitor)? Maybe even some kind of desktop?

Please note that the Raspberry Pi is being produced by a non-profit organization, not a consumer company.

Quote:

Linus Torvalds of Linux fame has said that "2016 will be the year of the ARM Laptop". Presumably he has some insight in various companies efforts.

This was misreported and Linus felt the need to clarify his statement.

Link: http://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-would-like-to-see-an-arm-laptop-but-he-doesnt-expect-it/
  • »28.11.15 - 08:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    more about ARM n Torvalds

I like what I hear from redhat here
    https://youtu.be/yM0pjUEVSxY

Cavium's 48 core arm servers look fun

[ Edited by dethknave 28.11.2015 - 02:54 ]
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »28.11.15 - 08:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @ASiegel

I would guess switching to a technology they control would be the reason to switch from Intel to ARM. But it would be a risky and potentionally very expensive endevor. It will probably make them decide against such an proposition.

But if they can get away with it, then manufacturing millions of ARM chips for their business would lower the overall cost, making Apple ARM chips attractive for other vendors. Suddenly, Apple would be in the CPU making business. We can't rule that out since they have entered a lot of new businesses since Jobs returned.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »28.11.15 - 10:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Certainly. It was yours.

Your link to an early 2013 interview (and a line that Eben Upton had already been repeating for at least 5 months before that) would still indicate that tens of thousands of curious young minds are fixed on this platform - one that absolutely does encourage learning and discovery. Three years on and that figure has grown by 10 to 20 times.

A modest little $5 or $35 computer may represent false economy to you (and all the others that poopoo the RPi) but there are generations and demographics under you to whom it has far greater appeal.

Despite how well I believe MorphOS would run on any RPi, HaikuOS is potentially an even better fit - and that is why I intend to offer a bounty to continue the ARM port of Haiku.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »28.11.15 - 13:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Certainly. It was yours.

So, stating that a Rasberry Pi 2 is a much better deal for "desktop computing" use cases than the new Raspberry Pi Zero equals anti-Pi "naysaying"?
  • »28.11.15 - 13:50
    ausPPC
    For me, yes. It was the '(albeit still quite limited) performance' comment that put it over the line into nay-saying territory.
  • »28.11.15 - 21:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    For me, yes. It was the '(albeit still quite limited) performance' comment that put it over the line into nay-saying territory.

what if I want my Raspberry Pi device to perform large dataset manipulation in realtime or near realtime?

large dataset defined as - monitoring network load of aggregated live twitter posts in realtime
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »29.11.15 - 01:21
    ausPPC
    Sorry, don't know how to answer your question - and I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I could just as well ask, 'What if I want my C64 to do something it probably can't?'

I'm much more interested in what computers *can* do. eg: A Pi2 can run a full bitcoin node.
  • »29.11.15 - 02:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    Sorry, don't know how to answer your question - and I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I could just as well ask, 'What if I want my C64 to do something it probably can't?'

I'm much more interested in what computers *can* do. eg: A Pi2 can run a full bitcoin node.

You go ahead and hash out some bitcoins with that Raspberry Pi2, let us know how how well you do vs the rest of the majority of bitcoin "hash'ers"
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »19.12.15 - 23:50
    ausPPC
    @dethknave You go research what a bitcoin node is and then come back an' 'pologise for that fight talk, y'hear? Or I'll tell your mother. :p
  • »20.12.15 - 00:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    @dethknave You go research what a bitcoin node is and then come back an' 'pologise for that fight talk, y'hear? Or I'll tell your mother. :p

My bad, but mom said to read this article
    http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-nodes-need/

and notice

Quote:

miners would likely be reluctant to concede any revenue to bitcoin nodes, which don't require pricey ASIC hardware to run.
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »22.12.15 - 13:10
    ausPPC
    The rules that define the bitcoin network are still fluid. So far, the incentive for running a node has always been personal but, if that needs to change, it will.
  • »23.12.15 - 19:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    No amount of nay-saying changes the Pi's popularity. The fact that it's marketed and made headway as a learning tool for new programmers should underscore its relevance to this community.

No, not really.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.12.15 - 20:40
    ausPPC
    Yeah, what was I thinking - how could MorphOS *possibly* benefit from being ported to a platform that is marketed to and has specific appeal to young people interested in learning how to program?
  • »23.12.15 - 21:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    How's this for a bit more meaty board at $299.

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/lemaker-cello-dev-board-features-amds-64-bit-arm-chip.html

It's got the AMD quad core A57.
    It also has a PCIe x16 slot, SATA, GigE and USB3.0.
    So ARM cores but with more useful interfaces.

I think it's all about to get interesting.
    Intel has been ahead for a long time because of their process tech and because they're invariably first to deploy it.
    For 10nm it's looking like that's all about to change, Samsung and TSMC both look like they'll be in production before Intel.
    Intel has also had an advantage because they are not limited by phone power constraints (anything over a few Watts is to hot for a phone).
    Desktops or servers don't have these power constraints so can use higher clock speeds and faster memory.

So far the ARM server chips have been on processes a node or 2 behind so nothing to worry Intel. However use a cutting edge process and all that changes. There's a lot of companies who want to build ARM server chips and once one does it they'll all follow. Qualcomm are jumping in at 16nm.

As I said, it's all about to get rather interesting.
  • »09.03.16 - 23:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    An idea:

MorphOS could adopt 68k binaries as it's "bytecode standard" in a Java-esque manner and then have the kernel running natively on AMD64, ARM, PPC or whatever CPU with everything else being run in the JIT compiler similar to Android.

Would save tying the whole OS to one CPU architecture.

Stupid idea?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »11.03.16 - 14:40
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    Yeah, what was I thinking - how could MorphOS *possibly* benefit from being ported to a platform that is marketed to and has specific appeal to young people interested in learning how to program?

Young/old, its hard to consider a Linux or Android OS a good environment to start learning to code under.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.03.16 - 22:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:

Young/old, its hard to consider a Linux or Android OS a good environment to start learning to code under.

You do know why the Raspberry Pi exists?

The UK education system gave up teaching programming years ago, it wasn't producing enough programmers companies could employ. The original Raspberry Pi was developed explicitly to counter this.

They didn't just dump a random Linux Distro on it. They developed their own front end and had IIRC a Python based programming environment.
  • »13.03.16 - 23:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    So far the ARM server chips have been on processes a node or 2 behind so nothing to worry Intel. However use a cutting edge process and all that changes.

I know talking to yourself is the first sign of madness and all that but...

First numbers for the X-Gene 3 place it at Xeon performance levels.

http://www.linleygroup.com/cms_builder/uploads/x-gene-3-white-paper-final.pdf
  • »23.04.16 - 01:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > http://www.linleygroup.com/cms_builder/uploads/x-gene-3-white-paper-final.pdf

Looking at this document made me realize that the core of the X-Gene and HeliX SoCs is called "Potenza". I can't remember I ever read this before, but googling reveals this has been mentioned in Linux kernel mailing list etc. since 2013. Usage of Potenza cores in APM SoCs is as follows:

- Potenza in X-Gene 1 and HeliX 1
    - Potenza+ in X-Gene 2 and HeliX 2
    - Potenza++ in X-Gene 3

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22x-gene%22+%22potenza%22
  • »23.04.16 - 07:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:

It hasn't done my kids any harm Jim. The only time they've ever used anything that isn't Linux is when they are forced to type letters in a word processor and other wastes of time on Windows at school. My eldest is 18 soon.

Edit: He's used Logic Pro on OSX but prefers Renoise on his Linux laptop.

[ Edited by Intuition 23.04.2016 - 14:39 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »23.04.16 - 12:32