• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

The third of the 3 architectures to be kept besides Power and ARM is probably ColdFire.

AFAIK Coldfire only had one major customer and they switched to ARM a while back. At a guess I'd say it'll be a DSP.

Quote:

Do you know what the other 18 architectures are that were still being actively supported by Freescale a decade ago? I didn't know it were that much

They still sell quite a few even today but I'd guess at:

8 bit
    16 bit
    Mcore
    Coldfire
    ARM
    PPC
    Several DSP variants...

Quote:

That surely doesn't sound too good for the future of Power Architecture at Freescale. Am I the only one who senses somewhat of a contradiction here to the previous "two most important of its remaining chip architectures are Power and ARM" statement made in that same article?

I'd take it to mean they'll do new chips while they have customers for them but they'll not develop any new cores. IIRC the new 64 bit core is based on a G3. Apart from that they haven't done anything really new in a very long time, just tweaks.

They could co-develop PPC and ARM SoCs so all they have to do is drop in whatever cores the market requires.
  • »09.01.13 - 01:18
    Profile Visit Website