• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Development board vs. evaluation board Andreas? Now we're really spliting hairs.

Tell that to Freescale who sell their evaluation boards for manyfold the price of their development boards, both for the very same chip, as outlined in the thread I linked to.

> The main difference I see is the one minator pointed out (the "weird debug
    > interfaces and dip switches for settings" included on development boards).

This is what he pointed out as a feature of development boards for *hardware* developers vs. development boards for *software* developers.

> Both are generally over-priced

I wouldn't say so.

> The primary purpose of the board I pointed to is to allow a hardware or software
    > designer to become familiar with the Exynos 4412 Quad Core CPU Module.

If I understand minator right, he says it's a board primarily targeted at software developers, not so much at hardware developers.

> Wonder how well Linux hosted AROS could be made to run on this thing?

I guess it should already run:

"linux-arm-system
    The hosted version for Linux/ARM. [...] Please note that this version requires at least an ARMv6 CPU with VFP unit.
    "
    http://aros.sourceforge.net/nightly.php

> Something tells me this might actually be pretty easy. Both the Cortex A9
    > and the Mali400 are supported devices.

Yes, the Cortex-A9 core meets the "at least an ARMv6 CPU with VFP unit" requirement, and the GPU support doesn't need to be inside AROS anyway as this is handled by the underlying Linux.
  • »14.10.12 - 10:55