• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Nobody knows the clock rate - Geekbench tends to report incorrect results.

Ah okay, I didn't know that. So let's wait and see what the clock rate really is.

>> If we assume a per-clock performance similar to that of the Krait core
    >> found in Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 chips,

> That's a big assumption.

What's your estimation then on how the A6 core compares to Krait (or Cortex-A15) per clock?

Btw, I'm in good company regarding this point:
    "We believe the custom A6 CPU is similar in complexity and performance to Cortex-A15 as well as to the Krait CPU that appears in Qualcomm’s newest processors. To reach Apple’s claim of a 2x performance gain over the iPhone 4S (which uses the Apple A5 processor), we expect the A6 contains two CPU cores clocking at roughly 1.2GHz. This speed is lower than what competing A15-class CPUs achieve, presumably to save power. As a result, the iPhone 5 will probably fall short of other high-end smartphones in raw CPU performance, although the same has been true of previous iPhone generations."
    http://www.linleygroup.com/newsletters/newsletter_detail.php?num=4881

> I'd guess around 1.2GHz

You're in good company then (see above) ;-)

> I was comparing it to a HTC One XL and there are a few results below
    > the 1600 the iPhone 5 posted.

Yeah, it seems that Geekbench favours the A6 very much, or that the A6 favours the benchmarks Geekbench consists of, depending on how you look at it. I'm surprised.
  • »17.09.12 - 23:57