• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

G4 exists between 350 MHz and 1.7 GHz (2.0 GHz overclocked), which means a factor of about 5 to 6 from slowest to fastest, so I think you should specify your statement a bit more. So which clock rate in G4 do you think a 1.2 GHz (which I think is the current max) Cortex-A9 roughly resembles performance-wise? After all, beating a 350 MHz G4 would be a no-brainer even for Cortex-A8 ;-)

I believe they're quite similar clock for clock. However it'll very much depend on the implementation. A9s tend to have bigger caches and faster memory than the G4s ever had.

Quote:

> The 1.8GHz A9s should put them up against the G5s

That's a bold theory. I think it should be hard for a 1.8 GHz Cortex-A9 to beat even a 1.6 GHz G5 (the slowest of the bunch) let alone a faster one performance-wise.

I meant the lower range of the G5s but remember the G4 was faster per clock than the G5.

Quote:

Beating a 2.5 or even 2.7 GHz G5 with a 2.0 GHz Cortex-A9 is definately not possible.

Sure, what I meant was the Qualcomm chip at 2.5GHz. It's sampling now so should be a year (or less) away. It could get close or beat the G5s.

OTOH It looks like Nvidia's "Project Denver" should blow any G5 clean into next week.

BTW most (or all?) ARMs are mode on low power (LP) or general purpose (GP) silicon processes. Nobody makes them on a High Performance process. If they did, clock rates would soar. With all the talk of servers I wonder will anyone actually do that.
  • »04.06.11 - 21:18
    Profile Visit Website