• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    The nVidia "Denver" project sounds pretty promising. While I think ppc has still a few cards to play (most notably QorIQ with Altivec)

Do you really think that one has a comparable support/momentum?

Quote:

I think ARM will have the brighter future because NVidia tries to go the classic computer way additional to the embedded territory. Also ARM has the current buzz - and it is always good to join the buzzing bandwaggon if you also want your share of the buzz..

nVidia is far from being the only player here, and I think most manufacturers will have similar offerings. Like Freescale, for example...

Quote:

One of the most critical questions for a hypothetical MorphOS ARM route would be: Will Denver offer a big endian mode? Not all ARMs do offer this feature - but it is critical if a hypothetical MorphOS ARM should get legacy 68k/ppc compability.

Again, "Denver" is far from the only interesting CPU here. And I am absolutely no expert, but AFAIK most ARM CPU's are bi-endian. At least I think that's the case with ARMv7/Cortex, which AFAIK includes all interesting stuff here? Do you mean this is a subject to change?

Quote:

But the biggest question of it all: Who's gonna provide the team the required resources (time, time and time as well as a little incentve money and a few devices).

Who does that now?

Quote:

Let's see what comes after the Apple ppc gear is maximally covered (Powerbook, iMac g5, Powermac g5)

Those are the last remaining PPC machines worth supporting. Beyond those, the way I see it:

Option 1: Do nothing, stay PPC. A slow demise for MorphOS until it totally fades away.

Option 2: Go the ARM route. Supports big endian mode, and does have a bright future in broad spectrum, ranging from small mobile devices to powerful desktop and workstation systems. Would need a new 68k JIT compiler. Newer programs in PPC would need to be ported (if a PPC JIT emulator isn't feasible), meaning bad news if you are using "dead" PPC programs...

Option 3: Go the x86 route. Will be a PITA because of endianness stuff AFAIK. Maybe that could be solved in some way? Or start all over with a clean slate, meaning no backwards compatibility at all, which sounds like no fun.

Quote:

and I don't think this is going to happen before 2012.

Me neither! ;-)

Under any circumstances, this is a long term thing...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.01.11 - 17:23