• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> No different to running 68k binaries on PPC with Trance really.

>> Pretty big difference, Nick. The PPCs we run Trance on run many times faster than a
    >> 68K processor. The ARM processors will be running at comparable speeds (or slower)
    >> to an X64. Which, with the overhead, will mean X86 apps will run slowly on ARM.

> It's like it's running native ARM code.

Even if this was true (which I don't think it is as there simply must be emulation overhead),

Like means ‘similar to’. We often use it with verbs of the senses such as look, sound, feel, taste, seem:

My sister is like my mother. (My sister and my mother are similar)

I think this tastes like coconut.

That looks like Marco’s car.

He seems like a nice man.

When we use like to mean ‘similar to’, we can put words and phrase such as a bit, just, very, so and more before it to talk about the degree of similarity:

It’s a bit like skiing but there’s no snow.

Isn’t that just like the bike we bought you for your birthday?

That smells very like garlic.

The car was more like a green than a blue colour.Vv

Quote:

it's still different to "running 68k binaries on PPC with Trance" for the reason Jim mentioned.

It's very much like Trance. The x86 binary is dynamically recompiled and calls native ARM libraries as though they were x86 libraries.

Quote:

> https://youtu.be/A_GlGglbu1U

No side-by-side comparison with native x86 speed (or native ARM speed for that matter).

Your entire post is based on your misunderstanding of the meaning of the word 'like' as used in this context.

See the dictionary definition of the word as quoted above:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/common-verbs/like
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »10.12.16 - 10:25